Phase II Training for Chefs

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Smoggie, Feb 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had a look around the forums and on RN website about the Phase II training for chefs but there really isn't that much information available besides what you'll generally be doing. I was just wondering if anyone had done their training recently and could tell me what it would involve and also whether you work towards a NVQ as standard or whether you have to use your educational allowance to gain these qualifications.

2. Why would they get an nvq? None of them have ever passed the training...

3. I don't know. Maybe to keep them happy (at least for a little while)?

4. 300 eggs, 3 minutes per egg = ??? boiling time

5. Depends whether you're doing them all together or in batches :p

6. :roll: :roll: "excuse me Chef whats in the pie?" How the F**K should i know!!! "Im a Chef not a detective" :roll: :lol:

7. This Chinese food really is the dog bollocks.

8. They train them??!!

They do a bloody good job of hiding it.

9. And here's me worrying that I was going to have to learn to make a souflet. From the impression I'm getting on these boards chef's are dirty, dangerous and not well liked. I think I may fit in quite well.

10. Chefs have always (and always will) taken the brunt of Jack manking about the food. Most matelots appreciate the efforts made by the chefs but to admit that the food is good is a no no.
    Ask any matelot about the food in the shore side messes where civilian catering companies have taken over. Most would prefer it if navy chefs were still doing the job.
    When I was on the old Ark royal we had a PO cook in our mess, late night Fish & Chips he organised were the best that I have ever tasted, Harry Ramsdens are crap by comparison, and the bakery, fresh bread rolls straight from the oven, delicious.
    So get used to taking a ribbing, but navy food is excellent.

11. :wink: :wink: How many free, wets a day did the PO Chef receive??? in your mess, Slim??? :roll:

12. Well as he was a messs member the same as anyone else. However I do recall that we usuually got fish and chips when he was over the top (used up his allowance). The Fish and Chips were normally offered together with a beer chit. :p
    Well worth a tinny though!

13. ...yep, Ck at Dryad did exactly that, water boiled dry and 100 eggs were ruined,slung out the galley and ended up mucking out geegees at the stables.

14. Lossiemouth, Chef given box of apples, told to put half in the PO`s mess and half in the Chiefs mess...................................Yes, you got it in one, he cut the fukcing apples in half.

15. I would much rather the RN Logs CS (Prep) [I hope thats the correct current branch name, why can't we call them chefs!] cooked my scran than bloody Sodexho! Never forget that all kit and all scran is bought from the lowest bidder for the highest price.

16. In the late 1960s the Chief cook at Lossiemouth upgraded the junior rates galley.
    He had been on a visit to RAF Changi and observed how the crabs did food.
    What a result.
    We ended up with five different food bars, every lunchtime the choice was fantastic, cook your own steaks or chops, Fish & Chips, omelet bar, curry corner and of course standard English food. 8)
    The cooks also ran an evening Fish & Chip shop, well cooked food at reasonable prices. :p
    It changed sometime afterwards, possibly coinciding with the victualing scandal. :oops:

17. On one ship, sitting on the stainless steel waiting for the hatch to open. Oi says Chief Chef, get orf, that's fer rissoles, not assholes!

18. I once asked 'Whats in the pie chef?'

He replied 'Pie filling'

Ask a stupid question....

19. You learn how to use an industrial can opener (without slicing your thumb off) how to detect the distant ping of a microwave, and finally how to stir in a figure of eight pattern. And, if you are lucky to read the instructions on the back of the packet; though a high Namet score is needed for this, and may well be only for leading hands.
    Most important you learn how not to distinguish between duty watch, who have been sent to assist you, and men under punishment, who are supposed to do the grotty bits.
    For most cooks a 50 week course would not be long enough.

20. Upon completion of Basic Training, you will transfer to the RN Logistics School (still in HMS Raleigh) to do 21 weeks of Catering Training. Once you have passed that course, you will be sent to one of the Navy's bases to undergo 6 months of further on-the-job training, before being sent out to your first ship. The Navy will give you civilian qualifications all the way through your training; on completion of your initial training, you are given a Modern Apprenticeship; after your Catering Training, you will get a NVQ in Catering at Level 2.