Phase 2 marine engineer HMS Sultan

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jess33, Oct 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, my son hopefully transferring to Phase 2 very soon. Is it 26 weeks? And is there another pass out at the end of that time? Thanks in advance
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

ET(ME) is around 16 weeks phase two. There is a pass out parade at HMS Sultan usually, but it tends to be less well attended than the initial pass out at HMS Raleigh.
  3. It is 26 weeks now isnt it, deffo longer than 16 even if not 26. Not doubting your knowledge ninja but my friends other half was the first to start on the new, longer course a few weeks back?
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

The reference book still states an SITP of 7 months (Phase one and two training combined) & the RN website indicates 4 months, phase two.

But, having just checked, I'm advised the phase two course has been extended (to 20) and will be further extended in the very near future to approximately 30 weeks, phase two. The phrase: "Left Hand, I'd like to introduce you to your opposite number; Right Hand", springs to mind. :confused:

There'll be similar confusion come January when CIS's undertake partial ET(WE) training also. Only no-one has been told about it yet. technician marine engineering.pdf navy responsive/documents/useful resources/br 3/br3book/Matrix RNRMRFA.pdf
  5. Ninj, this is all part of the Faraday stuff. They've extended ETICC to include more skill of hand and technical stuff. ETICC was the first to change, followed by LETQC and all the others in due course.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The phase 2 is now a 30 week course, my son is in week 17. They have extended the practical side. The change in course happened with their intake. Hope that helps
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It does indeed, thanks for the "heads-up".

I'm guessing the decisions made in the Faraday project were not deemed important enough to disseminate as far as recruiting. :confused:

There used to be a "phase three" element of Marine Engineering Training over the years, but increasing the course length by 14 weeks is "not insignificant" as it contractually increases the return of service by 3.5 months.

It rather makes me wonder how many ET(ME)'s joining the service are aware of this significant change.
  8. Seems a bit nutty that they haven't let those in recruitment know, the ones who really you would think should be first in line for the information to let recruits know. Or the website.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

I rather think your observation has rattled a few cages higher up the food chain, so thanks for highlighting the issue. Hopefully people will continue to identify such anomalies - big company, things get missed but they are very important to those joining.
  10. Understandable things get missed but you would hope somewhere along the line someone would have realised. Careers advisers get a hard deal anyway in many ways, without no doubt getting blamed for not passing on information even though you weren't told. Its good news though, more exams and more nights at Emma's for trainees haha. Hopefully the engineering shake up will work well for the RN and any updates will be passed on.
  11. Thanks guys x
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

FFS, there are blokes as well as chicks posting here. Some have never sailed with the USN.
  13. Chicks?? How very seventies ;)
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Going further back in time is 'broads' and 'dames'. There is nothing like a dame.

At least the poster didn't write 'thanks people'. I would have been quite cross.
  15. What's the working week at hms sultan is it 8-5 monday - Friday with occasional weekends off? Thanks in advance!
  16. Ninja_Stoker

17. Thanks ninja will check it out.
    Are they funded for occasional trips home?? We live quite a distance from portsmouth! ?
  18. Ninja_Stoker

For the first couple of years you get a couple of extra free warrants each year but once in Sultan people tend to car share and offer lifts most weekends which significantly reduces commuting costs.

Your son can also buy an HM Forces Railcard which is an excellent way of cutting rail costs.
  19. Thanks ninja. Another wee question when he gets through phase 2 my son will be still only 17. Will he be deployed onto a ship anywhere? Sorry to ask as many questions! ! I don't know anybody if the service to ask! Thanks again in advance.
  20. This is really interesting for me to now know given I have signed up for ETME, thanks!