phase 2 - ET (ME)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by roberts09, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im am joing as ET(ME) and was wondering is there a diary of what happens at phase 2 in the job or if any1 has an idea ,
    cheers

2. [​IMG]

Could also try the royal navy website, just a thought that they might have something about the royal navy on there :roll:

3. Down to Sultan, time to find out how clever you are....oh yeah, Stoker. Off to a pussers grey to find out how much you like cleaning.

4. I have already searched m8 thats y i am asking here, ask me if i have searched b4 u question me. ok

5. Hi,

Phase 2 ET(ME) training is carried out at HMS Sultan in Gosport, Hants. You will be there for 5 months, during this period you will do a lot of academic work in the classrooms, computer based training and practical training on all the naval mechanical engineering hardwear. You will initially be given an NVQ level 2 on completion of your initial course, but as you progress through the ranks within the Marine engineering department you can eventually gain a foundation degree in mechanical engineering.

Once you have completed your phase 2 training, you will proceed to your first sea-draft, where you will continue with your training onboard by completing a task-book (Tick off sheet of tasks). Once you have completed this you would then go back to Sultan for your next level of training.

Hopefully Ninja Stoker will be along shortly to give you a more in-depth breakdown of ET(ME) training.

Supermario

:smilebox:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oooh thanks....

Actually, I was down at Sultan for a phase two presentation in November and was intrigued to learn that much of the training for ET(ME) is Computer Based Training and that trainees, to a fairly large extent "self-teach" themselves on their initial career course rather than the old OHP/PowerPoint/Chalk'n'Talk method of teaching.

There was even talk that some of the training was considered being produced in Nintendo DS format - no, I'm not joking!

Before the onslaught of detractors: Feedback, we're told, is actually very positive from the trainee and the "coal face". Certainly in my last sea draft, 12 out of 16 ME's were on their first sea draft and everyone of them passed their taskbook training in less than half the required period. Either I was the flukiest CPO ME in ten navies, or the trainees were well prepared & trained before they arrived.

Edited for mong spelling.

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sadly not from the instructors though! (Tales of lads surfing etc. instead of doing their work).

8. I have a question, not that I think about it.

If you apply for ET(MESM) do you actually do a sea draft on a surface ship, and then go back to Raleigh's submarine school, or do you go through submarine training and then do your draft on a sub?

9. The latter.

10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I was trying to think back to my PII training, Ysomething boiler etc, what subjects are covered by this IT self teaching method?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, if you joined between 1966 & 1988, you were probably taught all about the Y100, Y110,Y136 or Y160 boilers, amongst others.

Nowadays, it's all about COGAG, COGOG, CODLAG, CODSWALLOP, etc

Basically they teach the main core propulsion, auxiliaries & systems via this method, together with non-destructive testing, fuel/oil analysis, and other routine tests.

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Cheers for the info.