Phase 2 CIS

Anyone out there can help?

Stressed out parent - kid at phase 2 doing CIS training. Had job before working in IT, got lots of IT qualifications (one instructor said they don't teach to the level they already have!) and hands on practical experience since leaving school. But they are struggling because after 2 months of CIS training there has been no IT at all - its been all engineering stuff and their limited timetable says they are not doing any IT until near the end, in the last 2 months of a 7 month course. My kid hates the tests and have got worries about their "percentage", they are quite and studious but find instructors saying they are too quiet, a shrinking violet. One member of the class got back tracked having only a few "percentages" less on tests.

My kid is desperate to be successful and is not dumb. they have overcome obstacle after obstacle to get to this position including getting a transfer from warefare to CIS while at Raleigh. But the course they are doing seems to have little relevance to IT, having been in the IT business for decades myself. My kid wanted to do IT and be in the navy but so far has done very little IT at all.

My kid is about to start course section ET107 WE Systems - is it actually about IT or more engineering maintenance which seems majority of focus so far?

Does any know what each element of the courses actually contains - there is almost nothing on course content for the CIS training on the internet to encourage pre-learning or preparation?

Any help gratefully received.

PotentialCT

Badgeman
Having been at phase 2 with CIS there course is a mixture of IT & Engineering as you described.
Once they complete phase 2 training, usually they will be given a choice in what way the want to go, IT or engineering. So your son will be able to focus on one after training.

If the worse comes to the worst getting back classed will leave your son with a bruised ego, but he will have more time to dust himself off, hit the books and have another go at it all.

Getting back classed may seem like the end but I know plenty of lads that have had it happen to them. In the long run it just doesn't matter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for late response - thanks for reply, got to week 14 ok so far, Jan to easter seems to be more about systems from what we can see of timetable, plus TALYBONT! Hopefully things will begin to smooth out, several have left class, some to other branches, some back classed during maths sections, kid still hanging in there! Thanks for response and apolgies for late thanks.

sorry one more thing - can CIS staff be posted to any ship? While talk has been about 23s and 45s could they be put on a minesweeper or is that specifically MW lot only?

WreckerL

War Hero
sorry one more thing - can CIS staff be posted to any ship? While talk has been about 23s and 45s could they be put on a minesweeper or is that specifically MW lot only?
I do believe sweepers (called minehunters these days) do have CIS onboard, they still have to talk to people ;)

Taztiff

War Hero
I do believe sweepers (called minehunters these days) do have CIS onboard, they still have to talk to people ;)
Debatable, only WEs we had (97 - 99) was the WEO and the DWEO. We originally had an WEM(O) to do close range weapons but he was soon replaced by a OM(MW) in 98.
I suspect that since things have moved away from OM it would be a bog standard ET(WE) as a junior rate.
CIS stuff covered by DWEO

But then again - things change all the time!

WreckerL

War Hero
Debatable, only WEs we had (97 - 99) was the WEO and the DWEO. We originally had an WEM(O) to do close range weapons but he was soon replaced by a OM(MW) in 98.
I suspect that since things have moved away from OM it would be a bog standard ET(WE) as a junior rate.
CIS stuff covered by DWEO

But then again - things change all the time!
In them there days CIS was an RO, not part of the WE family, but as you say, now RO's (CIS in todays navy) are part of the WE family, who knows.

Taztiff

War Hero
In them there days CIS was an RO, not part of the WE family, but as you say, now RO's (CIS in todays navy) are part of the WE family, who knows.
Good point.
We had a couple of ROs on board (a MCMV). DWEO fixed the kit when they broke it though.

My lad did explain to me over Christmas how it all works on a 23 with respect to CIS and ET(WE)'s - but we was in a pub at the time and I can't remember what he said now!!

Stirlin

War Hero
Good point.
We had a couple of ROs on board (a MCMV). DWEO fixed the kit when they broke it though.

My lad did explain to me over Christmas how it all works on a 23 with respect to CIS and ET(WE)'s - but we was in a pub at the time and I can't remember what he said now!!

-
1546880710629.png

huwshpis

War Hero
Still totally different branches when I was an REM, the sparkers behaved more like secret squirrels until they broke the kit, then they became rather pathetic.

Drakey

War Hero
Anyone out there can help?

Stressed out parent - kid at phase 2 doing CIS training. Had job before working in IT, got lots of IT qualifications (one instructor said they don't teach to the level they already have!) and hands on practical experience since leaving school. But they are struggling because after 2 months of CIS training there has been no IT at all - its been all engineering stuff and their limited timetable says they are not doing any IT until near the end, in the last 2 months of a 7 month course. My kid hates the tests and have got worries about their "percentage", they are quite and studious but find instructors saying they are too quiet, a shrinking violet. One member of the class got back tracked having only a few "percentages" less on tests.

My kid is desperate to be successful and is not dumb. they have overcome obstacle after obstacle to get to this position including getting a transfer from warefare to CIS while at Raleigh. But the course they are doing seems to have little relevance to IT, having been in the IT business for decades myself. My kid wanted to do IT and be in the navy but so far has done very little IT at all.

My kid is about to start course section ET107 WE Systems - is it actually about IT or more engineering maintenance which seems majority of focus so far?

Does any know what each element of the courses actually contains - there is almost nothing on course content for the CIS training on the internet to encourage pre-learning or preparation?

Any help gratefully received.
CIS now covers a variety of elements including operating and maintaining equipment. There is no pure IT element where that is all they will be doing. If she really wants the variety of the job she will just have to knuckle down and get on with it. Test/exams are part of life in general and the navy is no exception. Standards have to be achieved and if backclassing is necessary in order to grasp the fundamentals it is not the end of the world.

Last edited: