Phase 2 AT course completion

Hi
Son finishes AT training at Sultan next month. I really want to know what the ceremony is like.
People had said different things . Some it's just an informal certificate giving with family there if desired for couple hours others say it's a bit more than that with a parade.
I'm traveling from Cornwall so don't want to go if it's just 2 hours then home again .
Obviously I want to be there for my son but I'd like to know if it's worth travelling up for.
No official info yet on actual routine of the day so I'm in limbo with booking or not booking accommodation/ train etc
Thanks

Hi
Son finishes AT training at Sultan next month. I really want to know what the ceremony is like.
People had said different things . Some it's just an informal certificate giving with family there if desired for couple hours others say it's a bit more than that with a parade.
I'm traveling from Cornwall so don't want to go if it's just 2 hours then home again .
Obviously I want to be there for my son but I'd like to know if it's worth travelling up for.
No official info yet on actual routine of the day so I'm in limbo with booking or not booking accommodation/ train etc
Thanks
Book accommodation, you can always cancel, unless you buy a special deal with pay up front and no cancelation.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The phase two pass out parade itself would be very boring for all concerned if it lasted for more than two hours. The main pass out parade is at Raleigh, the one at the end of branch training tends to be a much lower key affair with fewer people attending - some do, some don't. Ultimately your son will probably already have been home several times since starting phase two training and will likewise be coming home again immediately after the parade at Sultan. If you live local or want to make the journey fine, but when I passed out of phase two, fewer than half of us had families in attendance.

The phase two pass out parade itself would be very boring for all concerned if it lasted for more than two hours. The main pass out parade is at Raleigh, the one at the end of branch training tends to be a much lower key affair with fewer people attending - some do, some don't. Ultimately your son will probably already have been home several times since starting phase two training and will likewise be coming home again immediately after the parade at Sultan. If you live local or want to make the journey fine, but when I passed out of phase two, fewer than half of us had families in attendance.
Wow @Ninja_Stoker when you passed out, good memory you have there.
My parents did not attend anything to do with navy, they were very proud of my achievement, they just could not afford to travel. On the other hand I missed my passing out at Ganges as I was in sick bay with food poisoning, sodding Chefs, but had completed training before being sick, so allowed to go to Collingwood.
I received an award, at both Ganges, and Collingwood, my PO collected Ganges and my photo for collecting award at Collingwood passing out ended up in the local paper at home in Derby, RN PR not sure if that still happens.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's appreciated things change over time and it is entirely possible there's a higher attendance percentage nowadays with perhaps the qualifying certificates issued in a separate element, followed possibly by a reception but I'd advise it's best to see what the official invitation states and to sound-out your son on whether or not he views it as a landmark event with him being the "odd man out" by having no next of kin in attendance.

I missed my sons passing out at Raleigh as I was at sea but made it to Sultan for his one there. It was 15 years ago but if memory serves, a hangar was set up with seating (yes, my boy was a WAFU :oops:) for families whilst they got their end of course certificates, met his instructors and the Air Engineering School Commander, then got shown around the aircraft he worked on, plus tea and stickies.

How to embarrass your son, I was in civvies for the event but couldn't resist and called the Commander a WAFU :)

The Commander gave one of those false haha type laughs, my eldest went bright red and his instructor jumped in to tell the Cdr I was a serving ME submariner, in way of explanation.

We left soon after :p

Hi there, we attended our sons graduation at the end of April. It is like Wrecker said, your son meets you at the gate then we were taken to the Welfare/Church lounge where we were offered tea/coffee. We then went to a big hall by the swimming pool (it was at Collingwood) where the ceremony took place, basically each graduate has a little dit told about them and their certificate and badge awarded, oh and their photo taken. You then get to meet their Officers and NCO's over a cuppa and biscuits. Whole ceremony takes about 2 hours, much shorter than Raleigh :). After all that they can go and collect all their kit, etc and they were then also allowed to get their badge sewn onto their No 1's and they get the weekend off. By the way, we came over all the way from South Africa, had a lovely time in Portsmouth. Hope this helps and congrats to your son :D

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Go.... you'll feel bad if you don't and I get to stare at you out of my window and think phwaoarrrr if you're fit in your nice Summer dress. Or his girlfriend, delete as appropriate...:D