phase 1

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Haggis_Catcher, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thats some nugget you found, dont think I'm halfway through it yet but loads of good behind the scenes info in it so far.
  2. good link

nice one
  3. Have to say I felt a pang of jealousy watching them all go through the training...My turn please!
  4. i have seen it but forgot all about it, have saved it in my favourites folder.
    thanks for reminding me it existed
  5. brilliant find. Shows a good insight to what will go on at Raleigh. After watching the videos I cannot wait even more to get there :)
  6. no bother mucker's :thumbleft:
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking the official Royal Navy Website is a useful source of information for those aspiring to join the Royal Navy - there's no end of useful stuff for those prepared to do a bit of trawling around. :wink:

Now that there is a official publications reference library hosted on the site every single careers related question asked on this site can be answered - if the person is prepared to do a bit of research.
  8. just been watching the weapon handling, me mates just been sent back from raliegh for failing his shooting and has to go back in 12 months
  9. Ninja_Stoker

He's probably been Discharged Unsuitable During Training (DUDT) & may not re-apply before 12 months have elapsed.

Those discharged under this category are certainly not invited to re-join however applications will be considered in relation to all other applicants at that time.

A re-entrant can usually add about 3 months onto the standard waiting time to join that particular trade.

For example: At present, in certain circumstances, trained GD Royal Marines wishing to re-join are only being offered to re-join if they join as a Chef (K3) - just to give an idea of the odds of re-joining in 12 months if current numbers of applicants persist.
  10. probly the worst thing that could happen to someone that, all the hard work you put in to get in the navy and you piss it down the drain
  11. Thanks for this! It's really helpful. I'm going in 5 days :O!
  12. Pardon my ignorance but how would you fail on weapons training, is dangerous handling of such weapon or failure to be competant looking after it, putting it together after dismantling/servicing??
    Would someone mind explaining. :oops:
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Safety is the issue with the weapons handling test.

The bullets hurt, so if someone is inept we would prefer to remove them from the proximnity of the weapon rather than have them kill someone unintentionally.
  14. Thanks ninja. 8)
  15. what if your weapon handling is safe, but your aim or shoot/hit ratio is below par, can you fail for that, because its not the kind of thing you can practice before hand. (unless you enjoy 5+ year prison sentences)
  16. In addition, outside the constraints of handling tests, if you behave in an unsafe manner ANYWHERE (the favourite being some idiot pretending to shoot you 'for a joke') you can expect to get smashed prior to being kicked out. Losing a component of the weapon rendering it useless (most common during field stripping) expect to get booted out or back-squadded.

Strangely it takes a bit of time to get it into people's heads that their weapon is there to kill the enemy and protect you and your buddies.
  17. If you shut your mouth and listen, even a Navy instructor can teach you to shoot straight.
  18. you could always join a shooting club to get some practice in or even buy a cheap air rifle.
  19. thats a good idea haggis however air rifles tend not to be very welcome in communities and i can only assume gun clubs/ranges are expensive, i could always go to my local golf range, mmmmmmmmmmm i wonder if that would work??? :lol: