Phase 1 to phase 2 training...

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by marmalizer, Jan 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, not sure if I'm in the right area for this post, but here goes! It's just a question about training.

When you finish at Raleigh, how soon after do you go on to start phase 2 training? (I'm going to Sultan, if it matters). Do you go there within a day or two, or do you get a chance to go home for a spell after your 9 weeks basic?

Also, what is the accommodation situation at Sultan? Do you live in, as at Raleigh, or do you sort yourself out with a place to live? (My AFCO people don't seem to know about this).

Any info will be received gratefully! :blob5:

Cheers folks!

2. Hi Marmalizer,

You will finish training on the Friday At Raleigh and normal commence your Phase 2 training at Sultan on the following Monday. So you just get a long weekend normally between training phases.

You will have accom available in Sultan throughout your phase 2 training.

Hope this helps

SM

3. Thanks supermario!

That does help, yes. But what is the situation with married quarters? Will they not be allowed until all training is complete?

Cheers

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

How strange.

5. I believe you need to be staying at a location for at least six months to qualify for a Quarter.
    So if your course at Sultan is six months or longer you can apply.

:)

6. You are not allowed to stay in married quarters until completion of your initial and phase 2 training. Therefore, phase 2 trainees at Sultan are not allowed to live off the base.

SM

PS agree with NS that it seems rather strange that your own careers advisor couldn't tell you this information.

7. Yup i thought that was strange too... but hey, this is Liverpool!

8. Cheers Lionfish :)

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Some scally nicked the info?

10. Sultan you start in a 12-man mess then after a successful kit muster (approx week 9) you move to a 6/4 man mess. Depending on whether you're AET/ETME.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  11. I would imagine so yeah... sold it for drug money cos they've already spent their dole... no doubt!

12. Cheers for that. It'll be ETME for me. It's all just a bit confusing because I was told by a guy I work with, who left the RN about 3 yrs ago, that once you get to phase 2 you can go home in the evenings & weekends.... I assume that was all mistaken then? I'm just trying to clarify it! (Partly because my fella wants to know too!) :slow:

13. You get most weekends off in Phase 2 but you can only go home in the evenings if you live locally or own your own home in the area but that's decided on an individual basis depending on circumstances. If you live in Liverpool I would suggest it's a bit far to commute.

If you think about it, over 18's have all night leave so if you lived down the road you could go home at secure and be back onboard in the morning in time for turn to (remembering you still have to keep duties)

14. Thanks for that WreckerL, yeah i see what you mean... but what i'm getting at is that my fella (soon to be husband) want to get a married quarter eventually because he's intending to move to portsmouth, that being where i'm most likely to be based, & we've been told that the married quarter thing won't happen until after all training is complete So if we had a place of our own local to Sultan, i'd be able to go home to it every night? (other than if i'm on duty). The messages have been mixed you see; whether i CAN live on base, or whether i HAVE to.... ??

I'm blonde, Scouse, & a woman.... I'm confused!

15. As I said, it's not hard and fast (fnarr fnarr) and up to your DO at Sultan but if you've got all night leave anyway and your husband lives down the road you'll have a good case.

16. Lol am sure there's nothing wrong with the staff at Liverpool's AFCO :p
    You won't be able to get married quarters while your in training, and when your qualified then it's not 100% you'll get the draft you want. I do know of a few people who did go home every night and weekend during training as they lived local, but this wasn't really official and they still had to pay for there on base accomodation and do rounds.

17. In what way?

18. Ha, no the staff at my AFCO are great, but they just don't seem to know much about accommodation!!

Thanks for the info folks... I'm way excited about all this, especially having got my date this morning!!! But I must admit, I'm sad at having to be away from Steve throughout my entire training- if that ends up being the case. Never mind eh! :love3:

19. At least when your training is over you'll never be seperated again will you?

You sure you've thought this career through?

20. Only for the last 10 years.... it was going so well, & then one person can't help but resort to sarcasm... never mind eh! :-|

We know & accept that my choice of career will keep us apart for periods of time post-training.... the issue I'm discussing is accommodation during training, & whether or not I'd be able to go home to him during phase two.... That's all.... o_O

:-D