Phalanx & type 42s

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Sep 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many years ago when working for BAe I fitted Phalanx to several type 42s.
    However one of the 42s had a special fit of a single phalanx mounted on the bow. I always thought that it was HMS Edinburgh but looking at a photo I see that she is fitted with two phalanx in the normal place.
    Is there still a type 42 with a single phalanx?
    If so which one is it?
    If not which one was it?

I know that one 42 had this fit cos it was a real bastard compared with the normal fit.

2. It was Edinburgh, but she was given the standard configuration (2 in the waist) some years later. Don't know why.

3. Many thanks, nice to know that my brain is still OK

4. That sounds likely. I had to replace the fwd Phalanx on Ark Royal. It had been through a lot of rough green stuff. When I opened the panels it was amazing to see how far this water had moved various components.

5. Might be wrong, but I seem to recall that she was supposed to have been fitted with lightweight Seawolf (2 round launcher?) in the normal phalanx positions,the Phalanx was fitted forward so she still had a "last ditch" defence. Typically the plebs in MOD cancelled the development just when it ready to go to sea - another few billions down the pan - theres somthing strange!