Petition to stay in UK.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Duly signed, why this bloke even wants to stay in the UK after this is amazing.

2. Duly signed but the second part of the petition should apply to all ex servicemen not just ex Army

3. Done.......

4. Signed....

5. Signed - what a disgrace!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Interestingly, I know of an ex-RN Officer who was refused entry into the Canadian Navy for a virtually identical 'service offence' as the fine was recorded on his conduct record sheet making him ineligible.

It's surprising in this day and age, that the Armed Forces still permit commanding officers to act as judge & jury without proper legal representation for the unsuspecting defendant accused of a service 'crime'.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Signed
    Plenty of Scrotes in this country who need deporting but not ex-service

Hate to swear but even the French nationalise all service personnel when leaving their armed forces.

8. Done and done

9. deleted by me

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. Signed by me.

11. Ditto..............

12. I've signed it but I'm not sure that its actually racist.

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

Xenophobic perhaps, but not racist

13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Aye, it's a nightmare. I feel for Bale. I've commented on the thread over on arsse, one of the charges I got in the Corps has suddenly reared it's head in civvy street and is causing problems with immigration. The civvy police equivilant charge I suppose would be drunk and disorderly. According to pusser because of my junior rank I was only allowed 2 x 330 mil cans of beer, anything over that and I was classified as drunk. I had three. Yay, medically confirmed as sober, able to pass a civvy blow into the bag drink driving test but because the military judged me as a junior rank who'd had to many for my rank entitlement I have a civil conviction around my neck that I have to explain to civil authorities all the time. Military convictions passed on to civvy life are a ******* joke that you have no choice but to live with. Military law should not be compared to civilian.

14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From the link
    May have influenced him.

The link within the link appears to refer to a different case and a different Commonwealth soldier.

sumo wrote

You think? I don't have the figures but I expect that it is reasonable to assume that most are already French. Of those who are not, scrotes and those with only a peacetime dog watch in probably need not apply.

I don't see any racism and playing that card demeans 'Bale's' case. I expect that there will be a high level behind the scenes solution in his favour. If he ends up back in Fiji, it won't be long until he's in an ethnic minority there.

16. Any national can join the French Foreign Legion and on completion there are given or allowed French citizenship on application.
    After serving in the Foreign Legion for three years, a legionnaire may apply for French citizenship. He must be serving under his real name, must no longer have problems with the authorities, and must have served with “honour and fidelity”. Furthermore, a soldier who becomes injured during a battle for France can immediately apply for French citizenship under a provision known as “Français par le sang versé” ("French by spilled blood")

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

With reference to N_S's post about CO's being allowed to act as judge and jury - this is a misconception. Anyone with a working knowledge of the Armed Forces Act and the Service summary hearing system (NOT a trial!) will understand that. All charges now brought by the AFA will be sanctioned by a Service Legal Adviser (who will have read the Case File and all evidentail enclosures)) before approving the charges or providing alternatives, prior to the CO signs the Charge Sheet. The Accused will have the same rights and privileges afforded to any person charged with an summary offence (or indictable one, if appearing at CM). They can contest any charge and be permitted to have witnesses attend, for cross-examination. If they disagree with a charge they can always appeal. Despite what people may think, the military justice system and its processes are very similiar to that used by CPS in Civvy Street nowadays.

Another point: there is a difference between "military disciplinary record" (misdemeanours during service) and "military convictions" (convictions awarded during service). The Home Office/Ministry of Justice or whoever do not discriminate when it comes to a person's record based on their occupation or background. Some offences are recordable (i.e. result in a criminal record) and others are not. Some offences are summary only, indictable or can be tried both ways (summarily and in court). The lists of indictable and recordable offences are too varied to list here, but it is the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act that decides how long an offence is declarable before it is 'spent'. And the large majority of "military law" is lifted directly from UK (civilian) legislation, often as an inclusion, amendment or addendum to existing Acts anyway. If a AB xxxx assaults AB xxxx, he is charged with the appropriate offence, in the same way as a member of the public. It would be unlawful for the Armed Forces to do otherwise (human rights/discrimination, and all that).

I agree that the soldier should be permitted to remain in the UK because of his honourable service, but this should not be the primary factor in making his case unique. I hope his appeal is successful, but it should relate to the circumstances surrounding the facts of the case that he was found guilty of, not purely on the fact that he was a member of the Armed Forces.

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Alacrity, I'm quite sure that just because a jobsworth or two is applying the letter of the flawed law that that is not evidence that the country does not want him.

Sumo,the French Armed Forces are rather more than just the Legion. Your brush was broad. Most of the French Armed Forces are already French, some of the Foreign Legion are .......foreign.

• Like Like x 1

19. Seadog let’s not go down the rout of splitting hairs, the point being made is we are not the only nation/country that allows foreign nationals to enlist, and as long as they are not a dodgy back ground and of good character will be allowed citizenship, so why should this chap be singled out by some bureaucratic jobs worth, not to be allowed citizenship when he is also married to a British subject

It is not the first time this sort of story has hit the press
    December 2004
    A former British Army captain who was denied UK citizenship has been told he may now qualify for a passport. Warwick Strong fought in Kosovo and Iraq but was denied British citizenship because he spent too much time abroad with the Army.
    Mr Strong's family criticised the ruling and accused the Home Secretary David Blunkett of double standards.
    The 29-year-old, who was born in Zimbabwe and moved to Britain six years ago, has served with the Royal Artillery.

His passport application was turned down partly because he spent more than 90 days a year out of the country on duty.

His father, Colonel Jeremy Strong, and grandfather both reached the rank of Colonel in the British Army.

Col Strong said the rejection was a slap in the face from the Government and said his son was "disgusted about it".

"He's gone out to protect the interests of the country and the free world in Kosovo and Iraq and he's been denied citizenship through no fault of his own," he said.

In order to qualify for a British passport, the applicant must reside in the UK for five years and not be out of the country for more than 90 days in any year.

Capt Strong arrived in Britain in 1998 and attended Sandhurst Military Academy.

He left the Army two months ago after serving with the Royal Artillery for six years and holds an ancestral visa, which has been renewed until October 2006.