Personal Referees

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by donkeypunch, Oct 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am currently applying for Officer Training in the Navy, I have my sift interview on the 28th but have become slightly concerned regarding personal referees. Thing is I spent the majority of my life abroad, the last 13 years in Holland, my point is I only moved back to the UK last December, and as such do not really know many people here with 'standing' in the community that would be able to provide what I feel would be an adequate reference. Would anybody be able to provide any information regarding personal referees? I have read that current employers aren't usually the best people to go with as they cannot really say anything except for your employability. If anyone can help that would be great!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Current employers are ideal if they know you wish to join & you're sure telling them won't jeopardise the current job. Some employers are complete wimps & will only acknowledge that you work there as they're frightened of being sued. (Like everyone sues their employer). What they don't realise is that if they tell the truth it cannot come back to haunt them.

Overseas employers are acceptable, providing they've known you for a couple of years or more & you can track them down.

Educational references from UK or abroad are ideal as they tend to be extremely good indicators because they tell the truth.

What you have to look at is from the Navy persepective if you cannot find anyone to vouch for your suitability, honesty, reliability & integrity, then this vindicates the reason for asking.
  3. Thanks for your reply, I did tell my current employer that I was applying to join the Navy but the job is a temporary role. I probably should have mentioned this is in my original post that I had been studying up until October last year and walked away with a Masters Degree in International Law. As far as educational references go is there a specific time restriction to their validity? I have read 1 year or 3 years.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In which case...

"Without Prejudice".....

An education reference is valid for up to 3 years after leaving, providing the nominated referee can actually remember you. (Most do).
  5. Great! I'll be getting in contact with them as soon as. Thank you very much for your help!