Persia - 150 years ago today

Oil_Slick

War Hero
26 March, 1857, Capture of Khorramshar, Persia by HM Ships Victoria, Falkland and Comet.

It was planned as a combined operation, but Brigadier General Havelock observed…"The Gentlemen in blue had it all to themselves, and left us nought to do"


How times change… :sad:
 

dustyjack

Lantern Swinger
Oil_Slick said:
26 March, 1857, Capture of Khorramshar, Persia by HM Ships Victoria, Falkland and Comet.

It was planned as a combined operation, but Brigadier General Havelock observed…"The Gentlemen in blue had it all to themselves, and left us nought to do"


How times change… :sad:

Only in as much as we don't have the capability to send three ships to the Gulf at any one time anymore :sad:
 
Much as I appreciate how much fun it is to slag off the modern RN and talk about how wonderful it was in the olden days, you're mistaken - there's a lot more than 3 in the Gulf right now...
CORNWALL in the NAG, CAMBPELTOWN and SUTHERLAND in TF150, BLYTH and RAMSAY on Op AINTREE and 3 RFAs in the area (BAYLEAF, FORT AUSTIN and SIR BEDIVERE) as well. I make that 8, and that's just the ones we admit to on the RN website.
 
geoffrey said:
Much as I appreciate how much fun it is to slag off the modern RN and talk about how wonderful it was in the olden days, you're mistaken - there's a lot more than 3 in the Gulf right now...
CORNWALL in the NAG, CAMBPELTOWN and SUTHERLAND in TF150, BLYTH and RAMSAY on Op AINTREE and 3 RFAs in the area (BAYLEAF, FORT AUSTIN and SIR BEDIVERE) as well. I make that 8, and that's just the ones we admit to on the RN website.

Since when did two mine warfare vessels and three Merchant Marine manned RFA count as fighting warships.

"BLYTH and RAMSAY on Op AINTREE and 3 RFAs in the area (BAYLEAF, FORT AUSTIN and SIR BEDIVERE) as well. I make that 8"

You have the modern Spin Doctor mealy mouthed way of trying to convince the Public we have a fleet in the Gulf area poised to strike. Just as the recent claim that the C in C Command of of 100 ships. Another Spin whn you look to see how many were in commission, built or actual warships.

WALOB.

Nutty
 
Nutty said:
Since when did two mine warfare vessels and three Merchant Marine manned RFA count as fighting warships.
Well, MCMVs are there, fully manned and doing a pretty impressive job. Last time I checked, they counted as warships as they're armed, engaged in ops and manned by the RN. And although not on the Navy List, RFA vessels these days are more than just tankers - the LSL is doing some pretty punchy stuff with the Iraqi Navy, right in harm's way, and RFAs have been doing all sorts of "traditional naval" roles for a while now - conducting APT(N) single handedly, acting as a base for SKASaC, Lynxes and Merlin on various ops (inc CALASH). The Bay LSD(A)s are even more impressive - effectively a multipurpose warship substiture akin to the Danish version.

nutty said:
You have the modern Spin Doctor mealy mouthed way of trying to convince the Public we have a fleet in the Gulf area poised to strike. Just as the recent claim that the C in C Command of of 100 ships. Another Spin whn you look to see how many were in commission, built or actual warships.
I hold a brief for no-one. I'm not on a staff for anyone, nor am I involved with PR. And I'm not trying to convince anyone about a fleet in the GUlf, all I said was we have more than 3 ships there. But, since you ask, we DO currently have 87 ships flying the White Ensign in commission, plus a few in reserve, and when you include the 16 RFAs (which come directly under CINCFLEET via COMRFA) it appears he personally does have over 100 ships under his command. And I'm not including INVINCIBLE, DARING, the 6 MCMVs and 1 Castle in mothballs etc) So what if lots are sub-FF/DD size, but the RN has always been a pyramid of ship sizes, even in your days. Mealy-mouthed? No, just factually correct. And, just so you know, I greatly resent your implication.

Yes, this forum is about Naval History, but I cannot stand the rantings of "veterans" who come on RR and bang on about how much better the RN was in their day blah blah blah and how small it is now boo hoo and weren't we great. I fully appreciate everyone's service and contribution to serving their country, but if you've been out of the RN for 3 decades, maybe there's better qualified people to comment about current ops.

WALOB.

Besides, I want to find out more about the Capture of Khorramshar, Persia! :lol:
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
geoffrey said:
Besides, I want to find out more about the Capture of Khorramshar, Persia! :lol:

Anglo - Persian War (1856)
War occasioned by Iran's seizure of Herat.

In March 1856, the government of Iran's Qajar monarch, Naser al-Din Shah (ruled 1848 - 1896), dispatched a military force to capture Herat, a city in western Afghanistan whose control had been a source of contention between the Afghans and Iranians since Afghanistan asserted its independence from Iran in the mid-eighteenth century. After a long siege, Herat surrendered to the Iranians in October 1856. The capture of Herat prompted Great Britain, which had long opposed Iran's claims to the city, to declare war. Actual hostilities between Iranian and British forces were limited, but Britain captured Kharg Island in the Persian Gulf and landed a military contingent at the port of Bushehr. Iran sued for peace, but the British captured the port of Khorramshahr before negotiations were completed. Under the terms of the Treaty of Paris of March 1857, Iran agreed to evacuate Herat, renounce all claims to the city, and recognize the independence of Afghanistan.

http://www.answers.com/topic/anglo-persian-war-1
 
geoffrey said:
Nutty said:
Since when did two mine warfare vessels and three Merchant Marine manned RFA count as fighting warships.
Well, MCMVs are there, fully manned and doing a pretty impressive job. Last time I checked, they counted as warships as they're armed, engaged in ops and manned by the RN. And although not on the Navy List, RFA vessels these days are more than just tankers - the LSL is doing some pretty punchy stuff with the Iraqi Navy, right in harm's way, and RFAs have been doing all sorts of "traditional naval" roles for a while now - conducting APT(N) single handedly, acting as a base for SKASaC, Lynxes and Merlin on various ops (inc CALASH). The Bay LSD(A)s are even more impressive - effectively a multipurpose warship substiture akin to the Danish version.

nutty said:
You have the modern Spin Doctor mealy mouthed way of trying to convince the Public we have a fleet in the Gulf area poised to strike. Just as the recent claim that the C in C Command of of 100 ships. Another Spin whn you look to see how many were in commission, built or actual warships.
I hold a brief for no-one. I'm not on a staff for anyone, nor am I involved with PR. And I'm not trying to convince anyone about a fleet in the GUlf, all I said was we have more than 3 ships there. But, since you ask, we DO currently have 87 ships flying the White Ensign in commission, plus a few in reserve, and when you include the 16 RFAs (which come directly under CINCFLEET via COMRFA) it appears he personally does have over 100 ships under his command. And I'm not including INVINCIBLE, DARING, the 6 MCMVs and 1 Castle in mothballs etc) So what if lots are sub-FF/DD size, but the RN has always been a pyramid of ship sizes, even in your days. Mealy-mouthed? No, just factually correct. And, just so you know, I greatly resent your implication.

Yes, this forum is about Naval History, but I cannot stand the rantings of "veterans" who come on RR and bang on about how much better the RN was in their day blah blah blah and how small it is now boo hoo and weren't we great. I fully appreciate everyone's service and contribution to serving their country, but if you've been out of the RN for 3 decades, maybe there's better qualified people to comment about current ops.

WALOB.

Besides, I want to find out more about the Capture of Khorramshar, Persia! :lol:
I notice you have adjusted your mathmatics, not withstanding I still question the amount of ships in commision, Bye the way I am still an "Old Timer" you could have left that in the edited version.

Nutty

PS Resent away
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK Government invests £150,000 in Scottish research projects to boost jobs and create skills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £150 million A585 Windy Harbour to Skippool improvement under way MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government unlocks £150 million from dormant accounts for coronavirus response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Patients asked to return Emerade 150 micrograms adrenaline pens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS On the right track: Homes England signs Hecurl to develop 150 ’Build to Rent’ homes at Corby Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £150 million pledged to deliver vital upgrades at Gatwick Airport station MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 150,000 people benefit from online justice in 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: David Mundell announces £150 million funding from the UK Government for the Tay Cities Deal MoD News 0
D Artificer 150 Gala Dinner, Guildhall London 19 May 2018 Social & Reunions 24
MoD_RSS News story: MOD Stafford marks end of £150 million redevelopment MoD News 0
trelawney126 Funeral of US Monitor rating 150 years late History 0
Devon_County_150 Sponsored Walk: The Devon RBL 150 14-20 November 2009 Charity 15
M RNR 150 Anniversary Dinner Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
slim Firm brings 150 Indian jobs to UK Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS New parents urged to have their say on available early years support via new online questionnaire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Events and promotions bosses banned for 18 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring 12 years of quality education for children around the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools begin teaching reformed Early Years Foundation Stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rohingya crisis: Three years on MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Early years support package to help close Covid language gap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish teenagers each to get access to pot of money over the next nine years MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Stability of the early years workforce in England report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA open letter to the early years sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Teachers set for biggest pay rise in fifteen years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reflecting on the genocide in Srebrenica, 25 years on MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Campervan people smuggler jailed for 4 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence pledges to evolve faster in the years ahead MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Groceries sector more competitive after seven years of GCA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Celebrating 10 years of Green Engineering in Cumbria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Marking 75 years since VE Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Celebrating 70 years of partnership with a cool contest! MoD News 1
MoD_RSS A proud partnership, a cherished friendship – UK and Israel united for 70 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second-hand car dealers banned for 14 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investment bosses banned for 29 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Schools, colleges and early years settings to close MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two years wage growth MoD News 0
Stirlin Separation of six years. Nearest & Dearest 8
MoD_RSS Health supplements bosses banned for 21 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 50 years since Black Arrow launched the UK into space MoD News 0
Gnasher Re-joining after 4 years Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS 'Plymouth's worst fly-tipper' jailed after 3 years on the run MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM unveils plans to mark 75 years since VE Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Early years apps approved to help families kick start learning at home MoD News 0
soleil London Bridge: "40 Years In The Reserves" - Lt Cdr Liz Church Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
MoD_RSS Adding years to life and life to years: our plan to increase healthy longevity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ten years of protecting people and supporting business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Windrush Compensation Scheme extended by 2 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100 years of maritime history and opportunities for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation response regarding Early Years reforms MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































Top