Persia - 150 years ago today

Discussion in 'History' started by Oil_Slick, Mar 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 26 March, 1857, Capture of Khorramshar, Persia by HM Ships Victoria, Falkland and Comet.

It was planned as a combined operation, but Brigadier General Havelock observed…"The Gentlemen in blue had it all to themselves, and left us nought to do"

How times change… :sad:

2. Only in as much as we don't have the capability to send three ships to the Gulf at any one time anymore :sad:
  3. Much as I appreciate how much fun it is to slag off the modern RN and talk about how wonderful it was in the olden days, you're mistaken - there's a lot more than 3 in the Gulf right now...
    CORNWALL in the NAG, CAMBPELTOWN and SUTHERLAND in TF150, BLYTH and RAMSAY on Op AINTREE and 3 RFAs in the area (BAYLEAF, FORT AUSTIN and SIR BEDIVERE) as well. I make that 8, and that's just the ones we admit to on the RN website.

4. Since when did two mine warfare vessels and three Merchant Marine manned RFA count as fighting warships.

"BLYTH and RAMSAY on Op AINTREE and 3 RFAs in the area (BAYLEAF, FORT AUSTIN and SIR BEDIVERE) as well. I make that 8"

You have the modern Spin Doctor mealy mouthed way of trying to convince the Public we have a fleet in the Gulf area poised to strike. Just as the recent claim that the C in C Command of of 100 ships. Another Spin whn you look to see how many were in commission, built or actual warships.

5. The Monkees used to sing Daydream Believer!!!!!!
  6. Well, MCMVs are there, fully manned and doing a pretty impressive job. Last time I checked, they counted as warships as they're armed, engaged in ops and manned by the RN. And although not on the Navy List, RFA vessels these days are more than just tankers - the LSL is doing some pretty punchy stuff with the Iraqi Navy, right in harm's way, and RFAs have been doing all sorts of "traditional naval" roles for a while now - conducting APT(N) single handedly, acting as a base for SKASaC, Lynxes and Merlin on various ops (inc CALASH). The Bay LSD(A)s are even more impressive - effectively a multipurpose warship substiture akin to the Danish version.

I hold a brief for no-one. I'm not on a staff for anyone, nor am I involved with PR. And I'm not trying to convince anyone about a fleet in the GUlf, all I said was we have more than 3 ships there. But, since you ask, we DO currently have 87 ships flying the White Ensign in commission, plus a few in reserve, and when you include the 16 RFAs (which come directly under CINCFLEET via COMRFA) it appears he personally does have over 100 ships under his command. And I'm not including INVINCIBLE, DARING, the 6 MCMVs and 1 Castle in mothballs etc) So what if lots are sub-FF/DD size, but the RN has always been a pyramid of ship sizes, even in your days. Mealy-mouthed? No, just factually correct. And, just so you know, I greatly resent your implication.

Yes, this forum is about Naval History, but I cannot stand the rantings of "veterans" who come on RR and bang on about how much better the RN was in their day blah blah blah and how small it is now boo hoo and weren't we great. I fully appreciate everyone's service and contribution to serving their country, but if you've been out of the RN for 3 decades, maybe there's better qualified people to comment about current ops.

Besides, I want to find out more about the Capture of Khorramshar, Persia! :lol:

7. Anglo - Persian War (1856)
    War occasioned by Iran's seizure of Herat.

In March 1856, the government of Iran's Qajar monarch, Naser al-Din Shah (ruled 1848 - 1896), dispatched a military force to capture Herat, a city in western Afghanistan whose control had been a source of contention between the Afghans and Iranians since Afghanistan asserted its independence from Iran in the mid-eighteenth century. After a long siege, Herat surrendered to the Iranians in October 1856. The capture of Herat prompted Great Britain, which had long opposed Iran's claims to the city, to declare war. Actual hostilities between Iranian and British forces were limited, but Britain captured Kharg Island in the Persian Gulf and landed a military contingent at the port of Bushehr. Iran sued for peace, but the British captured the port of Khorramshahr before negotiations were completed. Under the terms of the Treaty of Paris of March 1857, Iran agreed to evacuate Herat, renounce all claims to the city, and recognize the independence of Afghanistan.
  8. I notice you have adjusted your mathmatics, not withstanding I still question the amount of ships in commision, Bye the way I am still an "Old Timer" you could have left that in the edited version.

PS Resent away