Persec and Rum Ration

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Purple_twiglet, Sep 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

There have recently been some requests for contact details of high profile former RN Officers by posters here. If those former officers have contact details and wish to provide them directlyto the requester, then that is their call, but please, if you are not the named officer please do not provide these details to people requesting them here.

I hope people appreciate that it is really not appropriate to ask for, or provide the personal contact details and address details of private individuals, particularly former Military personnel on this site without these individuals express permission. Please dont do it!
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. "There have recently been some requests for contact details of high profile former RN Officers by posters here"

Surely that should read "There was recently a request for contact details of a relatively high profile former RN Officer by a poster here"

Or were there more that you've deleted?

Just trying to keep it in context.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Purple_twiglet

More have been deleted, but the gist of the post still stands - if they aren't your details to share, please don't share them. Thanks!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Damn, I've just given Wrecker's address to some bloke stuck in Raleigh over Xmas & a few dozen Syrian migrants. Whoopsie.
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Purple_twiglet

Not you too? Is there anyone out there who hasnt given Wreckers adress to strange men recently?
  6. And I've just sent everyones' details to that nice place called AshleyMadison dot com
    (featured in the news recently) because their Persec is bollocks as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Bring 'em on, someone else can get in the poo for the wrong tree, presents, drinking too much etc, plus I've won Mother-in-Law staying over Chrimbo.

Them Syrians will soon be swimming back :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just to be on the safe side, don't let anyone know who you are or your service history. Remain an irritating enigma.

9. Perhaps the former officer would like to be contacted by this person but is not a member of RR so doe not know about them.
    All the unknown person requested was information as to how to get a letter to her, they did not even want to contact her directly.
    However this will know not happen due to the censors blue pencil
  10. Or you could just spell your name wrong :)
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Purple_twiglet

What may seem a perfectly innocuous request could actually be something more concerning. Unfortunately we live in a world where not everyone who asks for a home address of former military personnel has good intentions at heart.

If someine chooses to give their contact details and home address out then that is their call. But if uou are not the person, please dont give those details out through this site.

12. These details were not asked for. The O.P. only asked how she could contact the former officer even using a third party.
    This would have given the former officer a chance to decide for herself whether or not she wished to respond.
    Unfortunately she will not have the chance now.
    As a former senior naval officer I am sure that she would have been astute enough to decide for herself if the request was Kosher or not
  13. Purple_twiglet

Slim, there is a real and very credible risk to serving and former serving personnel at the moment. The MOD is actively encouraging its people, and former members to think very carefully about their online activity, what sort of information is revealed and who you give your personal information to.
    This request is exactly the sort of thing that is covered by this campaign.

Unfortunately we live in a world where a combination of data protection laws and individuals with ill intent mean that its just not possible to give out contact details anymore. Had the requesters written to MOD, then the letter would not have been forwarded for the same reasons. There is no chance that any request would have been passed from MOD to the individual in the first place.

I am sorry that you think that its censorship for the site policy to not permit passing of private details without the individual in questions permission.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are a lot of people with a lot to say ( usually self righteous ill informed wide of the mark pish) about and to high profile officers and some 15 minutes of fame officers. Just read the pages of this forum or ARRSE.

The OP may be benign and / or well intentioned but that doesn't mean that even a go between ( whose identity should be obvious to those who know more about the Service than Norman ) will be forwarding letters.

If however the intention is to reconcile her with the winning lottery ticket she dropped at Albert Gate, send it to me. She's lodging in my spare room.

She's a Commander, not a Captain.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Facebook would seem to be the answer then?
  17. With all respect slim. We are briefed regularly on both avoiding this situation ourselves and to also protect others. It only takes one well intentioned mistake to lead to a bad intentioned incident. The threat is very real.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Please can somebody enlighten me as to what threat exists when a message is sent from one person via service sources to another.
    No information as to the whereabouts of the person receiving the message would be given to the person sending.
    It is then up to the recipient to make a decision as to follow it up or not as the case may be..
    The Salvation Army uses this procedure frequently when tracing relatives.
  19. Sound advice, Cdr Jorgon. Or may I call you Hugh?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The problem is when someone goes "oh yeah, x lives at ........".