Perminant Unfit via medical appeal

Hi, my Son has just been sent a letter declared perminantly unfit despite having a letter from a dermatologist.... He had a childhood record of eczema (last treated at the age of seven). He'd recently started rock climbing and gained considerable blisters and marks on his hands... The face to face doctor said that he wasn't an expert and would not approve him, however if he could get a professional dermatologist to examine him and provide a letter this could help... Well it didn't help, and he has been declared PMU. He was open and honest, no medical treatment on his record since he was 7 he's now 23.. I am hoping he will be able to apply to the other services as his hands are now calloused over... Any advice? He doesn't have a skin condition... I just want to help him sort this out

couper172

Midshipman
I had a fit/blackout in 2012 and declared it on my application back in 2015 was declared PMU but able to reapply after 10 years from last seizure. I sent away to medical cell and they reduced it to 5 years. I applied again last year and been made PMU just now until they have a letter from my doctor to say that I haven’t had anymore. I would suggest calling the AFCO and asking to put an appeal to the RN medical cell and they will let you know the next steps. If his doctor also sends a letter to say he hasn’t been into him regarding it since he was 7 can’t think why they wouldn’t let him in. Hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumo

War Hero
Hi, my Son has just been sent a letter declared perminantly unfit despite having a letter from a dermatologist.... He had a childhood record of eczema (last treated at the age of seven). He'd recently started rock climbing and gained considerable blisters and marks on his hands... The face to face doctor said that he wasn't an expert and would not approve him, however if he could get a professional dermatologist to examine him and provide a letter this could help... Well it didn't help, and he has been declared PMU. He was open and honest, no medical treatment on his record since he was 7 he's now 23.. I am hoping he will be able to apply to the other services as his hands are now calloused over... Any advice? He doesn't have a skin condition... I just want to help him sort this out
Was that a navy or capita doctor?
Get him to speak to his recruiter?

He has a dermatologist letter confirming that he is absolutely fine to be an engineer in the navy and only required to use moisturiser if he gets dry skin...absolutely no problem... I can't imagine why this is not acceptable

WreckerL

War Hero
It's not acceptable as he will be exposed to many different types of oils and greases as a Naval engineer. If it flares up when deployed it may be necessary to get him evacuated, depending on where he is, this isn't always possible.

Humm.. He doesn't have exzema.... He might get dry skin? I'm not sure why he would have a reaction, I can assure you that I'm the last person to put my son in danger... My point is that if a dermatologist is not qualified to judge I'm not sure who is... I know I'm not but we got the best person and it wasn't enough. If there is anything we can do I'd be happy to try, he doesn't have any issues currently .... My Dad served 15 years....

Waspie

War Hero
Humm.. He doesn't have exzema.... He might get dry skin? I'm not sure why he would have a reaction, I can assure you that I'm the last person to put my son in danger... My point is that if a dermatologist is not qualified to judge I'm not sure who is... I know I'm not but we got the best person and it wasn't enough. If there is anything we can do I'd be happy to try, he doesn't have any issues currently .... My Dad served 15 years....
I bet you your dermatologist has never served on a war canoe and can categorically confirm your son will not come into contact with nasties!!!
It's not just oils and greases. Many of the degreasing agents are very harmful. Aviation fuel, not nice, many of the ingredients of weapons, (big weapons) contain chemical hazardous to health as well as life when armed!!! Not for nothing are warnings placed on the containers. We are not talking sprays from B&Q here either! The whole environment is fraught with hazards, chemicals and agents designed to be unfriendly to your health. It's the nature of the beast.
And then the nice bit!!! The bad guys actually get to throw even worse chemicals at you all because your wearing the uniform of your country!!!
A ships medical centre, (sick bay), only holds limited supplies of all but the essential medical kit. No Boots in town they can pop to for a tube of cream on a warship at sea.
All this and more I would assume would be taken into account when making their judgement.
Just something else for the pot to mull over.

Waspie

War Hero
OK thank you for your help.... I'm not sure it answers my question but your opinion is very clear
I know I painted a black picture. (Deliberate).
Have you asked if you/he can appeal?
I appreciate 'P' in PMU means permanent but I always work on the principle if you don't ask you don't get.
But please, ask the AFCO, they are the official voice of the RN and not us members of an unofficial naval forum.