Permantly Medically Unfit

Hi I need some advice I had Keyhole surgery on my hip form a ligament tear that i sustained in the Army back in 09/10 it is now 8 years since I was giving the all clear from my GP for recovery and I recently applied to the RN about a month ago when it was deemed last year I was PMU yet I was never told. I am going to see my GP about this as they were told yet I didn't get informed by both the recruiter and my GP about the conversation between my recruiter and my GP but before that I did appeal against a TMU and spoke to a Medical officer down in Portsmouth to try and get it overruled I was told he wasn't going to go ahead and let me in but never got told about it being a PMU at the time also never got told how long till I can apply again or won't be able to apply again, I haven't had any problems since and I go up and down stairs working for a living been doing that for the last 4 years and had no problems in my hip which is what the medical officer was worried about in case it flared up while at sea are there any numbers I can call to try and either get in touch with someone to help get this sorted will be immensely grateful.
Thanks

Hi I need some advice I had Keyhole surgery on my hip form a ligament tear that i sustained in the Army back in 09/10 it is now 8 years since I was giving the all clear from my GP for recovery and I recently applied to the RN about a month ago when it was deemed last year I was PMU yet I was never told. I am going to see my GP about this as they were told yet I didn't get informed by both the recruiter and my GP about the conversation between my recruiter and my GP but before that I did appeal against a TMU and spoke to a Medical officer down in Portsmouth to try and get it overruled I was told he wasn't going to go ahead and let me in but never got told about it being a PMU at the time also never got told how long till I can apply again or won't be able to apply again, I haven't had any problems since and I go up and down stairs working for a living been doing that for the last 4 years and had no problems in my hip which is what the medical officer was worried about in case it flared up while at sea are there any numbers I can call to try and either get in touch with someone to help get this sorted will be immensely grateful.
Thanks
I think the only thing you could do is actually go into your local AFCO and have a chat with a recruiter.
I understand how frustrating it is, I applied for the paras last year, passed my selection, and a week before my training I got a phone call from my AFCO telling me that I was PMU because I sustained a Infra articulate fracture to my ankle in 2002. I was 4... anyway, I’ve applied for the Navy and got the all clear, I leave in October.
Like I said, just go into your AFCO and have a chat with someone. Chances are they could be someone that went through a similar process as you and may be able to pull a few strings.
All the best, and I hope this helps a wee bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plus had a look at the medical requirements and I don't fall into any of them categories as outlined in this reference https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf the closest is the Musculoskeletal Disorders where its say in the last 12 months but this happend back in 09/10 recovered within 6 months did some rehab training then went back into boxing to keep up my fitness now with in boxing your stance puts heavy strain on hip joints just before I went back into the Army I had a dye MRI scan just to be on the safe side I do have medical scars from the op but they don't affect me I have full range of movement and like I said I must go hp 20/30 stories a day sometimes even 40 stories high which is about 404 feet high carrying heavy items and if I don't have any problem there I don't see there being any problem being deployed for 6 months at a time at sea going up and down stairs on a ship or sub its just so bloody frustrating as I have the knowledge more than most of the people that get through and I actually know of a few people who have gotten in from having knee dislocations which would be an automatic PMU for it .... getting off track .... going to my AFCO won't work as soon as I step though the doors they will be like nope not going to happen as I need to see what my GP says and if they say that they didn't have a conversation with my recruiter then I know who to pressurise but yeah cheers for the info if all goes well and i get in I might be training in the new year

chances are they could be someone that went through a similar process as you and may be able to pull a few strings.
There are no strings to be pulled when it comes to medical decisions. You either meet the criteria or you don't. Simples

Last edited: