Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Percy Refused Hotel Room - Cue Howls of Indignation

Re: I won't be using this Hotel then !!!

Nutty said:
hornpipe said:
Likewise, I have just mailed them in the States and read their horoscope. I propose a global boycott of this chain's hotels by all serving and ex-serving military personnel. Hit them where it hurts, it's the only way they'll listen.
h :rambo:

If they maintain the attitude I think the American press would like to know how a local company treat their allies by refusal of service.

The US is of course a service driven Country

Nutty

Do we have a link to the actual press story anyone?

The U.S. a service driven country? Blimey Nutters you must have been going to different bits of it than I have for the last 42 years!

sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
hornpipe said:
Likewise, I have just mailed them in the States and read their horoscope. I propose a global boycott of this chain's hotels by all serving and ex-serving military personnel. Hit them where it hurts, it's the only way they'll listen.

If they maintain the attitude I think the American press would like to know how a local company treat their allies by refusal of service.

Nutty

The U.S. a service driven country? Blimey Nutters you must have been going to different bits of it than I have for the last 42 years!

Sussex

I did not say they give a good service but they believe they do and all firms who interface with the public set great store by the"Smile and 'have a nice Day' attitude". Many US employees survive on tips so they like to think they are giving a good service as do companies who are scared of being targeted by consumer pressure groups.

Nutty

Nutty said:
sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
hornpipe said:

Nutty

Sussex

I did not say they give a good service but they believe they do and all firms who interface with the public set great store by the"Smile and 'have a nice Day' attitude". Many US employees survive on tips so they like to think they are giving a good service as do companies who are scared of being targeted by consumer pressure groups.

Nutty

The 'smile and have a nice day' and the tipping culture have worn ever so slightly thin in 42 years - they now expect 20% tip for average service and average product, which is frankly outrageous.
I'll settle for a Catalan grunt and a decent cup of coffee any day :wink:
Get the impression I don't really care for the U.S.? You'd be bang on right.
I hope your summer has been less humid than ours - but not as humid as the UK :thumright:

The whole thing is a disgusting farce.
Never mind an e-mail, ring them up and politely express your disgust.

The Metro Hotel

Crown Square, Woking, Surrey GU21 6HR
Tel: 01483 727100

The girl on reception sounds a bit stressed, so why not give her a friendly call and experience the good feeling you get from direct action.

tommo

War Hero

By the sounds of it according to the recent article they've had loads of abusive phonecalls lol

slim

War Hero

Though I understand that the Hotel has had problems in the past with soldiers from the local garrison this should not stop them allowing servicemen to use the hotel. All servicemen carry ID cards so a photocopy taken at the time of booking would ensure that individual could be traced if they caused trouble.
My next question is "have they ever hap problems with civilians"? If so has a blanket ban been imposed?

Seadog

War Hero

All servicemen carry ID cards so a photocopy taken at the time of booking would ensure that individual could be traced if they caused trouble.

Copy an ID card? Give uncontrolled copy to civvy (UK citizen or not)? My MOD Form 90 says on the reverse; 'This is an official document. The unauthorised possession, use, alteration. reproduction, destruction or transfer to another person is an offence.' Even if it didn't, security is compromised and ID theft enabled by allowing copies to be made. Perhaps a credit card is more appropriate.

ARRSE's thread is worth a read. 'All aboard the outrage bus'. There is often an explanation to these stories that stops short of peacenik anti military morons or corporate policy. Sending the hotel abusive emails isn't going to make them think military types are wonderful whatever they thought before. We've been here before and sucked back before.

sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
hornpipe said:

Nutty

Sussex

Nutty

The 'smile and have a nice day' and the tipping culture have worn ever so slightly thin in 42 years - they now expect 20% tip for average service and average product, which is frankly outrageous.
I hope your summer has been less humid than ours - but not as humid as the UK :thumright:

20%, I've never tipped 20% but IF you have, then more fool you. IF you go to "touristy" places, then they try it on with Johnny foreigner. I really hate the "suggestion" they put at the front of menus, AND most automatically deduct 15/20% on the bill. Cross it of and put whatever you wish, they wont remember you 10 mins after.

Service orientated country........ it is but any of my "fellow Americans " will tell you, customer service is crap. Individuals will tell it to your face, but the corporations will spend milions of $$$$ on advertising to tell you the oppossite. I could give countless examples but I would wear out me 2 typing fingers!!!

seafarer1939

War Hero
Re: Soldier is refused room at hotel

Guzzler is bringing racism into it,not me.3 of my 5 piece band are West Indians so I have no interest in that subject.
Remember the person who abused an injured soldier in hospital?was that racist or just plain stupid in the name of a religion.

Nine out of ten Muslims in this country follow this peaceful way,some don't.
I just asked the question,what's the answer re.receptionists religion.
Squaddies have caused bother it seems but Aldershot hotels take in the military.
We need to treat heroes better than this.

Seadog

War Hero
Remember the person who abused an injured soldier in hospital?was that racist or just plain stupid in the name of a religion.

Or was it a tabloid generated fiction/exaggeration?

Until quite recently, as a result of to$$ers misbehaving ashore CinCFLEET had stopped all leave to ship's companies visiting (nae, stopping for fuel) on an island in the Med. Pity the lads and lassies who really only want a haircut and postcards but that's the way it is. If we ban ourselves, why moan when 'outsiders' take offence and impose a blanket ban?

Those who feel 'we' should not be tarred with the brush of those who do cause naus are doing 'us' no favours by getting on the phone and reinforcing stereotypes. There is probably a gentle soul in his or her first job as a receptionist taking abuse from muppets who didn't stop to think. 'She sounded really stressed'.....you internet hardmen, you telephone heroes. Good effort, medals are in the post.

If I'm asked for ID in the UK for a hotel they get a credit card. If the chain offers HMF/MOD discount (Marriot/ Holiday Inn / Best Western IIRC) they get a flash of ID (no copy). If I was bumped from a hotel for any reason late on, I'd go to the nearest barracks and cadge a room for the night, not sleep in a car.

So just to check - we've to boycott a place that we're already banned from???

Why not have a witchhunt for the twats that caused the ban in the first place? Or is that not a good enough bandwagon for us?

FFS - no one else on here ever been banned from anywhere?

He got an apology - time to get over this one rather swiftly me thinks.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Perhaps the Hotel insurers got a little tired of paying out for repairs to damage caused by the Brown Jobs and refused to cover them for this type of damage.
It's a risk assessment issue, for example No of civvies who book in who cause nause 10% against No of local Army bods 40% therefore all service bods are an unacceptable risk to their business and are banned, sad for those more mature or sensible but thems the breaks.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Have to say that judgment was reserved on this issue from the outset until both sides of the story were voiced accurately because it seemed a strangely draconian policy to dream up in the "hospitality business" without some foundation in logic.

Notwithstanding the injured soldier should not have been turned away assuming he was polite & good natured, the issue as stated by Seadog, is that the original perpetrators at the hub of the problem should have been taken to task. Then again to be fair, hindsight is only now being issued.

Indignant stamping, abusive telephone calls and emails lead me to believe this Hotel chain would be reasonably justified to withold their inclusion in the Armed Forces Discount Brochure 2009.

It was surprising the MoD jumped in with two feet- they are normally reticent in such matters unless the PM gives the nod to invade, traditionally based on dodgy intelligence...Hmmmn I wonder?

After SSE wrote:

..sick and tired of blanket punishments, or tarring everyone with the same brush and feathers, hotel, pure bull shite...

I'm afraid that's called "collective responsibility."
Something drummed into everyone's head from day 1 of being a serviceman.

Seadog said:
All servicemen carry ID cards so a photocopy taken at the time of booking would ensure that individual could be traced if they caused trouble.

Copy an ID card? Give uncontrolled copy to civvy (UK citizen or not)? My MOD Form 90 says on the reverse; 'This is an official document. The unauthorised possession, use, alteration. reproduction, destruction or transfer to another person is an offence.' Even if it didn't, security is compromised and ID theft enabled by allowing copies to be made. Perhaps a credit card is more appropriate.

We used to use military ID cards to check ID under the Money Laundering Regulations 2003, we would take a copy (if it was offered) to check the signature against any documents (eg contract, transfer etc) and we would scan it and keep a copy on our puter system together with address ID, but since the introduction of MLR 2007 we still need something for signature ID but check ID generally on an electronic ID checking system called Call ML. It can tell me all kinds of stuff, all I need is a full name, postcode and date of birth!

Seadog said:

ARRSE's thread is worth a read. 'All aboard the outrage bus'. There is often an explanation to these stories that stops short of peacenik anti military morons or corporate policy. Sending the hotel abusive emails isn't going to make them think military types are wonderful whatever they thought before. We've been here before and sucked back before.

I'm with you on this one..

cornishgolfer said:
sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
sussex2 said:
Nutty said:
hornpipe said:

Nutty

Sussex

Nutty

20%, I've never tipped 20% but IF you have, then more fool you. IF you go to "touristy" places, then they try it on with Johnny foreigner. I really hate the "suggestion" they put at the front of menus, AND most automatically deduct 15/20% on the bill. Cross it of and put whatever you wish, they wont remember you 10 mins after.

Service orientated country........ it is but any of my "fellow Americans " will tell you, customer service is crap. Individuals will tell it to your face, but the corporations will spend milions of $$$$ on advertising to tell you the oppossite. I could give countless examples but I would wear out me 2 typing fingers!!!

You can absolutely trust me that I have NEVER given the required amount. Unless, and those situations have been very rare, the service has exceeded, beyond my wildest dreams, what I could have expected.
As somebody who is regularly subjected to the torture that is internal air travel in the U.S. will tell you - service is not their first name. Their levels of service came from the railways? In Europe it came from shipping lines - something that in itself tells a story; railways are like rocking horse poop in the U.S.

scouse

War Hero
Story in todays Telegraph
A soldier on leave from Afghanistan to attend the funeral of a fellow officer.Was returning by train to Oxford, When he was approached by the guard. The guard checked his warrant, and requested the soldier to follow him. On asking the guard the reason why? The guard replied "Sir on my train you travel first class" :thumright:

AfterSSE

War Hero

Streaky said:
After SSE wrote:

..sick and tired of blanket punishments, or tarring everyone with the same brush and feathers, hotel, pure bull shite...

I'm afraid that's called "collective responsibility."
Something drummed into everyone's head from day 1 of being a serviceman.

[Rant on]
Yeah, sort of like Kindergarden, keep treating the rank and file as if they are not mature enough to do the right thing, but always err on the side of they will always do the wrong thing.

It's called treating people as adults, and yes I know this "collective responsibility" thing, but it just burns my ass as it's a "cop out", and lazy punishment...too easy to just tell everyone, "well a few lads broke the rules so to punish them, we are just going to implement a new policy and have it so that, that establishment is off limits to all serving personnel.

Sort of stereotyping all service people as being bad apples, and that's how the public perceives the rank and file.

Used to be flogging was a form of punishment for the whole fleets benefit, now thank god it's no longer used, but the point is and was, that the person being flogged for whatever crime was a de facto "example" to the rest of the crew..."screw up and that's you on the mast", but in today's PC world it's easier to blanket punish, and all that does is raise the resentment factor, not at the individuals who caused this in the first place, but the desk types who are afraid to mete out individual punishment so harsh that others will think twice before making absolute assholes of themselves..and that serves no purpose at all...[/Rant Off]

scouse said:
Story in todays Telegraph
A soldier on leave from Afghanistan to attend the funeral of a fellow officer.Was returning by train to Oxford, When he was approached by the guard. The guard checked his warrant, and requested the soldier to follow him. On asking the guard the reason why? The guard replied "Sir on my train you travel first class" :thumright:

Nice one :thumright:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pontius Percy's Answerphone Diamond Lil's 1
Topstop Well done Percy Current Affairs 3
Joint_Force_Harrier Percy & The Crabs but No Jack? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 8
Guns Royal and Percy fighting in WWII conditions Current Affairs 8
slim Newbies required to vote and help Percy Pongo charity Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
thepercyboy Percy pongo makes the news RMR 5
dapperdunn The Commando who refused to die Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
soleil BBC News: "Nuclear Submarine HMS Tireless Refused United Arab Emirates Entry" MoD News 8
soleil Telegraph: "Sailors Given Freedom Of The City ... Then Refused A Drink" The Fleet 26
scouse Pongos refused a drink Diamond Lil's 59
G Refused by the Doc on pre join medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
Patrick Navy ID refused? Diamond Lil's 37
TattooDog 27 Year Old Sailor Refused Alcohol The Quarterdeck 27
whitemouse Wounded Royal Marine refused special housing Current Affairs 39
H Safe harbour refused Current Affairs 19
oberon B-52 Nukes Headed for Iran: Air Force refused to fly weapons Current Affairs 3
slim Muslim Pc refused to shake hands Current Affairs 24
MoD_RSS Coal Authority repairs grade I listed hotel in Nottinghamshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: hotel accommodation to support key workers and vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thoresby Hall Hotel sewage discharge leads to £90,000 fine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major overhaul of hotel booking sector after CMA action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Company behind Charnwood Lodge hotel wound-up in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Hotel booking sites to make major changes after CMA probe MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Hotel Hermes Diamond Lil's 5
soleil Herald: "Plymouth Military Personnel Living At Hotel - No Beds At Devonport Bases / Shore Est 23
BFRS BFRS Career Fair – Portsmouth @ Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, 28th Nov 2013 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
S Plymouth hotel plan at Royal William Yard Bases / Shore Est 2
Hermes_R12 HMS Liverpool's ensign on display in hotel The Quarterdeck 0
Hermes_R12 HMS Liverpool's ensign given to a hotel. The Quarterdeck 5
stan_the_man The Hotel ITV Documentary - were have you been in the pusser Diamond Lil's 16
janner japanese Hotel service Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Hotel Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Hotel Encounter Miscellaneous 0
sgtpepperband Five Bar Hotel Open In Manchester This Christmas... Diamond Lil's 8
soleil Hotel du Vin: Armed Forces Discount over Easter Finance & Pensions 0
ORACLE Hotel Key Cards The Gash Barge 3
D Hotel/tourism networking event The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
andym Hotel For Heros. Current Affairs 4
T Holiday Reviews & Hotel Reviews Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
Tas-ape Naval Slang Echo to Hotel The Gash Barge 0
brazenhussy DESERT ISLAND With The SALTY RATINGS Hotel ...Now Open!! Diamond Lil's 20
R Hotel don't boot out veterans for footie fans Current Affairs 21
M Hotel or Guest House in Portsmouth The Quarterdeck 47