Pensions

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by geoffg, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    I was wandering if it would be a good idea if there was a full commutation option at say 55 instead of going index linked. Pension could be resumed at 65.
    Reason I say this is because if you happen to be unfortunate to be unable to work for any reason, you wont get incapacity benefit as your pension takes you above the threshold.
    Had you been a drug addict or alcoholic since leaving school and not earned a pension, you'd be getting incapacity allowance.
    Just a thought
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy Badgeman Moderator

Are you sure?
    No mention here:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016082

3. You can get both.

4. Don't know about commuting the MOD pension at 55 don't think so though
    cos they won't know your 'life expectancy' and terms of pay back.

Disability allowance you should be able to claim -- try it anyway . Its a handy thing to have and if you qualify as long term it goes on forever !!
    Even after OAP dates. There is also a handy ''carers allowance '' that can be claimed aswell . The Mobility scheme is a nice one too with car being available .

Try it --however watch out cos the medical is becoming harder and also it won't be your local doctor who gives the report on your health.
    Too many people on the 'disabled lists '' that are fitter than most 16 year olds :thanks: :thanks:

:nemo: :nemo:

5. Old Baldy,
    Yes I'm sure. The rules state that 50% of any pension income over £85 per week has to be deducted from your incapacity benefit entitlement.
    So if you're entitled to say £60 incapacity benefit and your pension is £150 a week, they deduct £75 from £60 and you get diddly.
    They will, however, pay your NI stamp as long as you send in sick notes.
    geoff(ers) :nemo: