Pensions and Commutation and Index Linking and 55....

Hi

I left in December 2006 after a full 22 years at PO level. I get the pension which is nice, considering it's pretty much just for waking up. I commuted the max amount (forgotten how much), and in four-ish years time I am hitting 55 with the associated index linking. I know that the documents are there which give me a 1.3xxx multiplier on my current pension of £600ish. Any idea what it will be one the commutation is added back in? I've tried many sources to find out, but failed, so just thought I would ask in here. Thanks in advance.

Found one on the old Government Archives. Pension for an OR6 in 2006 appears to be £9367, so I'm looking at a 1.2846% increase on that with the current tables. Provided I live that long, of course.

Last edited:

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
Found one on the old Government Archives. Pension for an OR6 in 2006 appears to be £9367, so I'm looking at a 1.2846% increase on that with the current tables. Provided I live that long, of course.
£9367 in 2006 index linked to today is £12,437.79 so depending on CPI/RPI over the next 3 years it will be a little more than todays price hopefully

Quite happy with that to be honest. Add to current salary, self employed earnings, etc, it just gives a lovely target for HMRC to mess up. Having been on the end of one of their errors before (50% tax on projected earnings of around £1.2M!) I can't wait to see this one. Especially when I shift it all abroad...

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
Hi

I left in December 2006 after a full 22 years at PO level. I get the pension which is nice, considering it's pretty much just for waking up. I commuted the max amount (forgotten how much), and in four-ish years time I am hitting 55 with the associated index linking. I know that the documents are there which give me a 1.3xxx multiplier on my current pension of £600ish. Any idea what it will be one the commutation is added back in? I've tried many sources to find out, but failed, so just thought I would ask in here. Thanks in advance.

For Resettlement Commutation (an extra lump sum paid for from pension between leaving and age 55), you apply the multiply to the pension figure before commutation - so apply it to the original pension figure before the reduction was made. Only the 'old and bold' who took Life Commutation (an extra lump sum paid for by giving up pension for life - which is available to VERY few people these day) apply it to the reduced figure.

For Resettlement Commutation (an extra lump sum paid for from pension between leaving and age 55), you apply the multiply to the pension figure before commutation - so apply it to the original pension figure before the reduction was made. Only the 'old and bold' who took Life Commutation (an extra lump sum paid for by giving up pension for life - which is available to VERY few people these day) apply it to the reduced figure.

I wish I could remember what my original pension was before commutation. Is there an easy way to work it out based on current gross pension amount?

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
The easiest way around this is to drop Veterans UK a line and ask them what your pre-commutation pension is currently worth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS GAD’s key role in pensions consultation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Department for Work and Pensions appoints new Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public service pensions update: a GAD technical bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Department for Work and Pensions appoints two new Non-Executive Board Members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helping develop an approach around senior clinicians’ pensions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Pensions Regulator moves email and web portal to the cloud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior clinicians' pensions: letters between DHSC and NHS England MoD News 0
vauxhall Pensions Roadshows 4-7 Nov Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Brexit and pensions uprating MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Senior clinicians’ pensions: government asks for views on new proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interim chair of The Pensions Ombudsman announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interim head of pensions watchdog appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS pensions for senior clinicians: new changes announced to improve care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to NHS pensions for senior clinicians: have your say MoD News 0
vauxhall Thinking of Emigrating? What About Your Pensions? Finance & Pensions 3
vauxhall Firefighters Union Wins Landmark Pensions Case Finance & Pensions 0
O sprog to the Forum - Doe we still get our pensions at 55 ? Finance & Pensions 7
vauxhall Top NHS doctors to be given more flexible pensions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Top NHS doctors to be given more flexible pensions MoD News 0
Sumo Pensions reduction Finance & Pensions 3
vauxhall Annual Allowance and NHS Pensions Update Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall NHS Chiefs Hold Emergency Talks Over Pensions Tax Crisis Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Widows' pensions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Seven years in jail for bosses who recklessly risk pensions MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Sector Pensions Court Ruling Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Firefighters Pensions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Local government workers to receive increased pensions protections MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Pensions cold-calling banned MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Pensions Ombudsman reappointed MoD News 0
vauxhall Pensions are a Complicated Business Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Exchequer Secretary speech: Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association Trustee Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Pensions dashboards to enable more informed retirement planning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to Parliament: The Secretary of State for Work and Pensions has made a statement to the House today. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Minister for Pensions and Financial Inclusion gives keynote speech at the PLSA Conference 2018 MoD News 0
vauxhall Pensions and the Budget Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Pensions Awareness Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Pensions Awareness Week Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Improving AFPS 15 pensions Finance & Pensions 0
D MOD and War Pensions The Quarterdeck 1
vauxhall Claiming spouse/partner pensions Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Just a little pensions question Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall FPS Pensions Secretary talks to BFBS Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another pensions success Finance & Pensions 1
K Pre 1975 service for pensions Finance & Pensions 8
SONAR-BENDER Pensions. Are we being shafted? Finance & Pensions 36
MoD_RSS News story: 2016 war pensions and allowance rates MoD News 1