Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Stirling, May 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I turn 60 at the end of this year, did I read somewhere that you need to claim pension 6 months before it is due ?, who do I contact for claim form ?.
  2. It is 6 weeks mate safeguard. (Pension credits)
  3. Stirling
    Is this your Preserved Pension you are talking about?
  4. If this is Preserved pension go to site and download AFPS form 8 ,3 months before 60th birthday if on AFPS 75 or 3 months before 65th birthday on the other scheme or IMMEDUATELY if permanently incapacitated
    Hope this helps
  5. Cheers folks.
  6. Stirling
    My brother is 60 next month and he has had a hellava time trying to get an an answer from them.
    They said he didn't qualify at first,he served 66 thru 75 and he does qualify!!
    He is due his on 12th June and still has no figures for the pension
  7. Personnel leaving the Armed Forces prior to 6th April 1975 and who failed to meet the above criteria lost all entitlement to a pension.

Qualifying Rules

Qualifying rules for Preserved Pensions were changed on 6th April 1975.

For those who served from 6th April 1975 to 6th April 1988, where pensions were preserved for payment at age 60, the following qualifying rules apply:

Must have been discharged at 26 years of age or over.
    Must have served a minimum of 5 years.
    For those who served from 6th April 1988 to 5th April 2006, where pensions were preserved for payment at age 65, the following rules apply:

No age limit on discharge.
    Must have served a minimum of 2 years.
    Early Claiming of Preserved Pensions

It is possible for Preserved Pensions to be claimed prior to 60, for AFPS 75 claimants, or age 65, for AFPS 05 claimants, should they become permanently incapacitated.
  8. Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement
  9. Cheers for the updates Rummers.
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  10. Stirling
    What year did you leave aand how long did you do?
  11. PM sent......
  12. Not sure how this works........I hit the big 60 next year 2012 for my 12 years served pension, has anyone any idea if I will receive anything at all
    given the current climate? Someone told me I should send off my "request" about 3 months prior. If you reside in another country can I still
    receive my pension ? if so can I have this done over the internet. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to computers just need advice on how to do
    it from another country
  13. Seaking
    You cannot apply over the internet but you can download the form.They need to see you signature!!
    You have to apply 3 months before your 60th birthday.They will also pay it into a foreighn bank account
  14. Thanks for the info MH