Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by uktwinmom, Jun 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Hoping someone can help. i'm after some help for my brother who served in the navy for 4 years in the mid 70's. He has lived overseas since then and is currently in financial difficulties. Does anyone know whether he is entitled to claim for a pension for the few years that he served. I don't want to get his hopes up without having more information to hand.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You'll dates as the entitlement changed mid 70's, I think it is prior to 1975 there is no pension entitlement.
  3. Thanks. i'll check when he was discharged.
  4. Many thanks
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

6. Before 1 April 75 there was no entitlement to a preserved pension. To get one you had to serve 16 yrs from age 21 as an officer or 22 yrs from age 18 as a OR.

Between 1 April 75 and 1 April 78, preserved pensions were awarded if the individual was age 26 or over with at least 5 yrs service (from 21 for an officer or 18 for an OR)

Between 1 April 78 and 6 April 88, the age requirement was dropped but the 5yr vesting period remained.

From 6 April 88, the vesting period reduced to 2 yrs.

By the sound of it, the original poster's brother will not have qualified for a preserved pension but it doesn't hurt for him to ask Veterans UK.
    • Informative Informative x 1