Pension rights on transfer

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Lamri, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've put this in "the Afterlife" because, well, its after I leave the mob, sort of!

Can anyone please help.
    I've had the go-ahead from Mrs Lamri, after years of wearing her down, to start looking into a move to Australia. :smile:

I have roughly three and a half years to do for my 22 and was wondering if my pension transfered across if I go through the process of transfering into the RAN for the rest of my time (or whatever the RoS is).

Obviously if it doesn't, then I would be better off waiting, but with kids at 10, 9 and 2 years old I would like to get things moving for their sake.

Thank you in advance for any replies/advice.
  2. This may be urban myth, it may also be b***cks however I heard that your pension can be Tx. You take a rate drop when you transfer, but soon pick up where you left. From what I can gather it is a good move if you can make it stick and get on with up rooting your family X thousands of miles.

Good Luck :)
  3. I don't know about the pension, but dropping a rate can depend on your branch, seniority in existing rate and any adquals.

To get residency you've got to do three years in the RAN.

Take a look on the RAN website, there is a page with contact information on there. You can drop an email to a RAN CPO who can give you the up to date dit.
  4. Cool thanks for the info guys.
    Just for the record, I have been a PO for eleven years now, so I might not be able to squeeze back into my square rig :D although it would be worth it to see my kids grow up in a better place.
  5. I think I rmeember a RAN person telling me that there pension system is different, ie: nothing after 22, it just goes into a normal civy style pension pot, but I don't know the details. I'd get your 22 first.
  6. Karma said: "To get residency you've got to do three years in the RAN."

If you check it out you have to apply for citizenship within 6 months of joining - it is your family who must be there for three years before they can apply for citizenship. Everybody gets a permanent resident's visa before you fly or you dont go!
  7. I thought that the residency/ citizenship issue was conditional on a three year ROS?

A few years since I looked into it so not out of the question my recall is a little out.
  8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Speak to the Commonwealth Transfer Officer (I think that's his title) a WO in Oz who will give you all the info, I got his number from the Oz Embassy but you can probably get it on t'internet now. I looked into it a while ago, his words to me were you'd be a fool not to finish your 22 in the RN, a RAN wage plus your pension is the best deal you are going to get, bear in mind RAN wages are quite a bit lower than ours. You can apply up to 2 years before you join, it actually takes about a year to do the transfer anyway! The dropping a rate thing is totally dependent on available jobs, if there is a PO's billet they can't fill you will go in as a PO, if there ain't you go into the next available slot
  9. Thanks again guys for some really useful info :) I will contact this WO, through Australia House if I have to, and get the process keyed up depending on what the up to date splurge from him is.