Pension question

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by BusterQuin, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if the armed forces pension still gets paid if the person is in prison

And before anyone asks, no I haven't been nicked and about to be sent down, but it may affect someone I know

Many thanks

2. I would imagine the person would still retain his pension. Who's going to stop it !!!!!

However I do believe you can forfeit pension if you do something that
    disgraces the name of the Armed Forces or other dastardly reason.

hope it helps!!

:nemo: :nemo:

3. I hope someone comes with the answer to this one as its one I've not heard/read/mentioned before.

4. The person in question has been outside and receiving pension since 2000

5. Bust Try the British Legion... I am sure thay have the andswer, I haven't got a clue.... But I could not see any reason why they should stop paying it, its been earnt and paid for.

I am sure if an MP was sent to jail their pension would not be stopped. I will be very interested in the outcome of you enquiry :thumright:

6. Depending on the seriousness of the crime, yes you can lose your pension, or at least it applied when i was in the mob, left in 79, may have changed.

7. Might want to ask the Forces Pension Society at

LINK

One of the punishments a court martial can give is forfeiting pension, but don't know whether a civil court can do this once you leave.

8. as retired prison officer i have met many retired ranks from many different services & as pensions are paid directly into bank accounts. who is to know mind prisoners have no access to said accounts so they cant spend it .

9. I have read through my annual pension documents (since 1975), and can find no reference to prison. However, it does refer to change of address, which might be relevant under the circumstances.

2BM

10. Buster, Have posted a reply on t'other site.

11. I talked to a Magistrate today and He informed me that at his level they can not make a recommendation to stop a pensioners pension. He illustrated it by drawing my attention to a pensioner who had been jailed for non payment of community charge.

They did however put a Lien (sorry its a charge ) in his pension to retreave the outstanding charge.

So I think that if you have been awarded a pension they can NOT stop it being paid, but they can put a charge on it.

Hope this helps, it cost me a few drinks to get it out of him