Pension of 21 years for someone who left in 1976

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by BARNEYRNSM, Jun 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Shipmates and fonts of all knowledge fellow RRs,I am at present trying to apply for a pension for an ex stoker who left the RN in 1976 after 21 years. He left the RN Sept 1976 after putting his notice in,he was not medically discharged but for want of a better word is now two torpedeos short of a full war load. Has anyone had similar dealings with the SPVA as regards a similar tale and if so how did you achieve the aim? They keep telling me they will only deal with him but he won't talk to them,he has a speech impediment now. All help gratefully recieved!!
    I have his service number and NI number but the SPAV will not speak to me!
  2. Can you (or a relative) get power of attorney or get a solicitor to act on his behalf?
  3. We are thinking of doing a letter and getting him to sign it?
  4. Barney

    I have a relative who works for the SPVA - I've just e-mailed her asking her to help you. Can't promise anything, of course.
  5. Barney Please speak to me in the chat window at the bottom of the screen. I have the SPVA online to me at the moment.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. wave_dodger

    wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

    Barney, Soleil

    If you have no joy please PM me.

  7. Thank you, WD, that's very kind!

    My relative at the SPVA has agreed to send out the paperwork which the gentleman needs to apply for his pension, she just needs his address. As soon as Barney can get that to me, the paperwork can go out.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. That's how it's done.

    BZ all in the loop and Soleil just for being so, so, so good
  9. Hear, hear.
    Makes one wonder how many have dropped through the net. Hopefully the Military Covenant will make this scenario impossible..when it is enacted. :glasses8:

    Please look at the messages in your Inbox.
  11. PMs got ta! Cheers one and all will keep you informed of the outcome!
  12. Anyone had any dealings with naval service records? We have from the submarine museum what boats he was on and when, but have heard these naval record service people charge,anyone help please?
  13. Barney, The Disclosure Cell does charge when next of kin and researchers are asking for Service Records, but, as far as I know, when an individual makes an enquiry on his/her own behalf, there is no charge.

    The form which is needed in this situation is this one:

    Complete it and send it to the Disclosure Cell - address is on the form.

    For clarification about any fee payable and any other questions (I'm pretty sure there is no fee for Subject Access Requests), just give the Disclosure Cell a buzz on any of these numbers:

    02392 62 8667

    02392 62 8666

    02392 62 8671

    02392 62 8670

    02392 62 8654
  14. BZ Sol,will try that !!!

Share This Page