Pension - Havent got a clue - where to start????

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Kiwi Submariner, Apr 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all first post by me on here so Hi from New Zealand..

OK heres the question

I left pusser in 2000 joined up in '86 left as PO and moved to all the moves around the world I have lost pretty much everything from my navy days (paperwork I may or may not have been given when I left) so now Im wondering about my pension, how I get it, when can I get it? And what will it be worth?

So any pointers? Where do I start and how do I find out what it will be worth???

Thanks for your help and anyone in NZ fancy a pint or 20???? Give me a yell!!! Nothing like a run and spinning dits to dry the throat!!!

2. Welcome to Rum Ration, Kiwi S.

Start with the JPAC in Glasgow. You can either e-mail them at [email protected] or 'phone them on +44 141 224 3600. Let us know how you get on and if there are any problems.

PS Am not sure what the time is down your way, but it might be worth striking while the iron is hot and calling the JPAC now, if you can. They are open till 1900 our time, IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  3. Everyone in our office wrote to then SPVA to get a forecast, which by their own admission was useless for us as we leave post 2015. Apparently the ting to do is join the white ensign association.

JPA call line tel:0800 20085 203600 this will take you to the MOD / SPVA site.

I'm sure someone who is not a dabber will be along shortly with a more gen dit.
  4. Just as an aside to the OP, you will need to call Kentigern House on the international number +44 141 224 3600, as the 0800 one won't work from New Zealand, only within the UK.
  5. I'd also like to add that, in my experience, by far and away the best advice you can get is from the Forces Pension Society.

It costs a fairly minimal £32 per year to join and their expert, Lt Cdr David Marsh, is very, very good. I recently heard him speak on my Financial Aspects of Resettlement workshop but also chatted with him about 12 months ago when I was thinking of leaving.

Highly, highly recommended.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Whilst a small amount, what do you get for your £32 a year? Pusser pays you each month, you bank it.
  7. There is a list of benefits on their website but for me the two main ones are

* You are supporting an organisation whose sole purpose in life is to protect the military pension against the threats from successive governments. I consider this an excellent investment.

* If you ever have a query then you can speak to an independent bloke who is a total expert.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why does living in New Zealand mean that wetblobby is in a prime position to answer generic pension questions?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sorry guzz thought you were a master at reading between the lines the OP also said he needed help drink beer if anyone was in the area :laughing5:
    • Like Like x 1