Pension Forecasting

Ayone have any idea how you can do a "rough" forecast to get some idea what pension can be expected at 65 or whatever. Is there some kind of equation used per length of service?
 

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/Issues/Pensions/PensionsCalculator.htm

Have a look at this, don't know if it will be any good. It won't let you put a leaving date prior to the introduction of AFPS 05 but you could fudge around with the dates to get an idea. As long as you can get a salary on leaving and preserved pension figure then you can work out the ratio between the two and apply that to your final salary when you left.

Also, you could try contacting the AFPAA, they should be able to give you an accurate pension forecast.
 
Lingyai said:
Ayone have any idea how you can do a "rough" forecast to get some idea what pension can be expected at 65 or whatever. Is there some kind of equation used per length of service?

Very rough equation is RN pension at 22 years rate you will get a fraction of it say you did 9 years then at age 60 you will get 9/22 nds of the current 22year rate.

At 65 you will get the state oap and an additional pension based on your contributions to SERP that the Navy would have paid for you.

OAP is dependant on your National health stamp contributions-and years paid in. So if you live and work abroad make sure your salary is into a UK bank and gets taxes paid on it!!
 
I

In_my_day

Guest
Greenie said:
Lingyai said:
Ayone have any idea how you can do a "rough" forecast to get some idea what pension can be expected at 65 or whatever. Is there some kind of equation used per length of service?

Very rough equation is RN pension at 22 years rate you will get a fraction of it say you did 9 years then at age 60 you will get 9/22 nds of the current 22year rate.

At 65 you will get the state oap and an additional pension based on your contributions to SERP that the Navy would have paid for you.

OAP is dependant on your National health stamp contributions-and years paid in. So if you live and work abroad make sure your salary is into a UK bank and gets taxes paid on it!!
I'm not sure that is correct, first of all isn't the pension based on 36 years, final salary, etc and a "Retained Pension"; ie not immediately payable; is not the direct equivalent of the same period's worth of paid pension. Contact the Tri-service pension centre, Kintegern House in Glasgow they will (can?) provide an accurate forecast based on current rates.

As to the OAP, servicemen pay the contracted out rates of NI and therefore will get a reduced OAP. It is possible to Buy years back. This is hopefully also possible when working abroad as I hope I am not going to have to pay several thousands in tax to get several hundreds in pension!!

IMD
 
In My Day sorry to disagree,being an oap ido not get a reduced pension ,iget the full rate plus acertain piece of serps,it does tho depend on years paid in which i believe is 40 years,andyes it is possible to buy years back.
 
Hig the full years are 44 for total pension ,so after you have completed them you shouldn't by rights have to pay NI contributions .
I retired early and tried to sign on and they said pis- off cos I didn't need any stamps and my Navy pension cancelled out any hand outs!!

I did 22 years for RN pension and was paid it from when I left the mob
however I think Lingyai didn't do pension time [ie 22 years] so as he's on the old 1975 scheme of SERPs he'll get proportional pension from the Gov at 65 and OAP at 65
And a fractional pension at 60 from the pusser.
 
no you dont have to pay the contributions but you do,when i worked abroad i was told 4 years without paying does not affect your oap,and it didnt.I too have my navy pension and youre right you get nowt in handouts. i also have an mod pension,whic basically goes on tax,so much for retiring,but at least not as bad as some.
 

sidon55

Lantern Swinger
Word has it that the MOD are thinking of giving proportional pensions to those who left after 7 years - 7th of 22. Has anyone heard anything about this?
 
The following may be of interest to any ex-Juniors who are still serving.

House of Lords Hansard: 19 April 2006, Cols.WA225-226

Armed Forces: Recruitment

Lord Lester of Herne Hill asked Her Majesty's Government:

Further to the Written Answer by the Lord Drayson on 9 March (House of Lords Hansard: WA 151–52), why young recruits have their period of reckonable service taken from their 18th birthday and not from the date on which they joined the Armed Forces.

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Ministry of Defence (Lord Drayson) replied

This provision is related to the Armed Forces pension scheme 1975 (AFPS). When this scheme was designed, other ranks' engagements commencement date was linked to the age from which time towards reckonable service for pension began—ie, the date of the 18th birthday.

However, under the new Armed Forces pension scheme (AFPS 05) reckonable service for pension purposes counts from the date of entry, irrespective of age. All new recruits since 6 April 2005 are eligible to be members of the Armed Forces pension scheme 2005. Those who joined before 6 April 2005 who are members of AFPS 75, and who will still be in service on 6 April 2006, have been given the option to transfer to AFPS 05. By doing so, they will be allowed to count any pre-18 service as reckonable for pension purposes.
 
Greenie said:
I think Lingyai didn't do pension time [ie 22 years] so as he's on the old 1975 scheme of SERPs he'll get proportional pension from the Gov at 65 and OAP at 65
That;s right, I jumped ship after 17 years (2 of which were boys time), therefore I should get 15 years worth of a PO's pension which will probably work out to, let's say......not very much at all :(
Thanks for the info, these forums give you a much better feel thanks to the been there done it and got the t shirt crew, there is no substitute for experience.
Thanks again.
 

The_Black_Pig

Midshipman
Lingyai said:
Greenie said:
I think Lingyai didn't do pension time [ie 22 years] so as he's on the old 1975 scheme of SERPs he'll get proportional pension from the Gov at 65 and OAP at 65
That;s right, I jumped ship after 17 years (2 of which were boys time), therefore I should get 15 years worth of a PO's pension which will probably work out to, let's say......not very much at all :(
Thanks for the info, these forums give you a much better feel thanks to the been there done it and got the t shirt crew, there is no substitute for experience.
Thanks again.
Not sure whether this helps, did 14 years fom Nov. '61.
Got a pension at 60 of £4700/yr plus a lump sum of £6000

One way of calculating your pension , use the figures that are given to you at discharge , then add say 2.5%/yr upto age 60 , will give you some idea.
 
Pig ,nice one
At Sixty five you will get more dosh from the OAP service that the Pusser collected from you during your service time --its a SERP type payment
and they will call it additional pension.
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
My understanding of NI contributions is that you need to pay in (or have paid if unemployed) for 44 years to obtain a full OAP. However if you continue working you continue paying NI contributions until the age of 65, if you continue to work after 65 you do not pay NI contribs.

As far as an RN pension goes, if you served between (I believe) 1953 and 1976 you get no pension at all, a group called something like the Armed Forces Pension Group have been fighting to get something for people that served between those date but I believe they have been unsuccesful,
 

The_Black_Pig

Midshipman
janner said:
My understanding of NI contributions is that you need to pay in (or have paid if unemployed) for 44 years to obtain a full OAP. However if you continue working you continue paying NI contributions until the age of 65, if you continue to work after 65 you do not pay NI contribs.

As far as an RN pension goes, if you served between (I believe) 1953 and 1976 you get no pension at all, a group called something like the Armed Forces Pension Group have been fighting to get something for people that served between those date but I believe they have been unsuccesful,
Whats up Janner , lost your glasses ??????
READ MY POST , I GET A PENSION and I left in Nov. 1975.
In fact I think I was one of the lucky ones , the new pension rules came into force on (would you believe it!!!!) the 1st of April 1975, so anybody who left before that date dipped out.
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The_Black_Pig said:
janner said:
My understanding of NI contributions is that you need to pay in (or have paid if unemployed) for 44 years to obtain a full OAP. However if you continue working you continue paying NI contributions until the age of 65, if you continue to work after 65 you do not pay NI contribs.

As far as an RN pension goes, if you served between (I believe) 1953 and 1976 you get no pension at all, a group called something like the Armed Forces Pension Group have been fighting to get something for people that served between those date but I believe they have been unsuccesful,
Whats up Janner , lost your glasses ??????
READ MY POST , I GET A PENSION and I left in Nov. 1975.
In fact I think I was one of the lucky ones , the new pension rules came into force on (would you believe it!!!!) the 1st of April 1975, so anybody who left before that date dipped out.
Got me glasses on, finger slipped to 6 instead of 5, you are right the pension regs changed in 75. The red mist always comes down when discussing pussers pension schemes, my time 1960-1970 counts for nowt in transferable pension, at the same time civil servants and would you believe telegram boys get accrued pension taken over to a employer for the same years worked.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Canada Pension Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD's support on pension entitlements for fee-paid judges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension Credit claimants now able to apply online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD project helps 1,000+ pension scheme members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension investment advisor banned MoD News 0
A OR2 full career pension rates 1998 Finance & Pensions 8
B Commute my pension or not? Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS GAD pension specialists share expertise at industry conference MoD News 0
theoldti FTRS effect of pay rise on pension abatement Finance & Pensions 4
MoD_RSS GAD’s review of the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the Secretary of State on the Clinician Pension Tax Scheme MoD News 0
vauxhall How good is your pension? Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Russell Agius reappointed to the Judicial Pension Board MoD News 0
E Added pension Finance & Pensions 5
MoD_RSS Changes to the currency of UK State Pension and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit paid into Yemeni bank accounts MoD News 0
J Collection Pension From Overseas Finance & Pensions 2
vauxhall Pension Roadshow Schedule 7-11 October Finance & Pensions 0
B Pension for reservist 1 year operational service Finance & Pensions 1
MoD_RSS Multi-million-pound pension liberation bosses banned for 34 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension entitlements for fee-paid judges MoD News 0
vauxhall Keeping an eye on your pension! Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive Chair to the Civil Service Pension Board: 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension company wound-up after mismanaging £14m of funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Uprating guarantee for UK State Pension recipients living in EU MoD News 0
vauxhall Telegraph Reports on Pension Tax Trap Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Pension Tax Update Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Forces Pension Society Appoints New Chief of Staff Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall BBC reports that 'woman wins rights to her late partner's military pension Finance & Pensions 0
Sumo 'Unlawful' pension schemes to cost government £4bn a year Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS Pension scheme negligence lands insurance boss seven-year ban MoD News 0
Archstoker Forces pension and age pension Finance & Pensions 6
vauxhall AFPS 15 and Added Pension Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Flexible Service - How does it affect your Armed Forces Pension? Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Review of the Local Government Pension Scheme Northern Ireland actuarial valuation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees to mitigate the effect of unequal GMP's on pension income MoD News 0
vauxhall Over 75 and not yet dipped into your Pension Pot? Finance & Pensions 0
F Navy Pension Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS News story: Teachers' Pension Scheme protected to ensure it remains among most lucrative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Green light for dashboards in 2019 puts pension savers in the driving seat MoD News 0
vauxhall Theresa May: We have to sort war widows pension scandal Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New pension scheme "could deliver improved returns for millions" MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Radical shake-up of advice to pension schemes will benefit savers and boost £1.6 trillion pension assets MoD News 0
vauxhall Flexible Service and Pension Forecasts Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: War disablement pension rates 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Investment innovation and future consolidation for occupational DC pension schemes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Pension billions could be unlocked to boost economic growth and savers’ returns MoD News 0
vauxhall How AFPS 75 Pension Benefits are Structured Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall MOD Pension Forecast Service Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall State Pension Questions Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Protect your pension pots from investment scams and negligent trustees MoD News 0
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top