Pension commutation - what is it?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fly_past, Oct 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. yes - fully

2. Sort of - must check it out one day

0 vote(s)
  3. Nope - not a scoobies?

0 vote(s)
  1. OK I must be well thick.

I leave the service next year after 15 nearly 16 yrs -cant take it no more........

What the heck is commutation all about? I know absolutely nothing about it and what do i need to do to apply for it - now that JPA confuses everthing?

I am on the AFP 75 scheme and will not be eligible for a pension until I hit 65 - can that be so?

Sensible answers are appreciated here - but will accept a severe ribbing also!
  2. No worries, all is explained on the MOD Pensions Site

There is a specific section on commutation

If you are on AFPS75 and entitled to an immediate pension, you can take a lump sum when you leave (Resettlement Commutation) but your pension will be reduced until you are 55.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your best bet is to get the latest advice from your re-settlement officer, better still contact AFPA.

My understanding (happy to stand corrected) is that you will not qualify for your pension until you reach 60, if you haven't completed your 22 years (ratings)under the AFPS 75 system.

Commutation is an advance of your pension, which is repaid & deducted from your monthly pension payments, if you've served over 22 years.
  4. Spot on I believe Ninja, the bit (I believe) you commute is those years of the 37 years (maximum) that you havn't completed. IE, if you do 22 years, then should you fully commute you commute the 15 years of pension you've yet to earn. Again, standing by the be corrected.