Pension at 60

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Seaking824, Jan 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Can't seem to find the info I had a while back, can anyone help me with where you have to
    write to to get your pension at 60 which is this July for me.
    If anyone can supply me with the site to go to so I can give them a call first
    as I'm in Canada so need to know how to get this done.

    I know you can get a forecast of what it will be.
    Many thanks guys
  2. Thanks for that speedy reply, I'm still hunting for the letter they sent me over a year ago, I know it's an address in Plymouth
    (I think) I know I called someone in Glasgow but that wasn't the place.
  3. Thanks again
  4. I think it will be done automatically they will have your details . Only thing with you being in Canada --you will need a UK bank or
    somewhere they can pay you . Tax may be a problem aswell its normally done at source .
    So yes I think you should start enquiring. It will be the same in a few years time aswell--have you done enough years to qualify for a UK
    Old Age Pension ? something else to think about

  5. Try this mate, Naval Pay & Pensions(Accounts),AFPAA(Centurion),Centurion Building,Grange Road,Gosport,Hants,PO13 9XA.

    Direct Dialling 01705 702606, Fax 01705 702211.

    These are the details i have from my letter from them when i left 11 years ago,you have to apply 3 months before you turn 60 to this address,hope this helps you.
  6. Seaking
    The number for people abroad is 0044 141 224 3600
    They are very helpful
  7. You can also download the form
    AFPS form 8
    Hope this helps
  8. Marie Gorman kindly found the following information and posted it onto the wall, because it's useful information and to make sure it doesn't get lost in amongst everything else that gets posted this information has been copied into this document. Please read below:

    As part of Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA), the Veterans Services Directorate are responsible for the assessment, award, payment and maintenance of all pensions relating to the Armed Forces.

    These include occupational pensions; The Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS), war disablement pensions, war widows' pensions, related allowances and other payments to service veterans. They also administer ex-gratia payments scheme to former prisoners of the Japanese in WW2.

    In addition, the Directorate undertake the assessment, award and maintenance of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) claims plus the presentation of appeals to the independent Pensions Appeal Tribunals (PAT) for both current and former service personnel.

    There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05

    Have you served in the military since 1975?

    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 (or 65 if you joined after April 2006). Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.


    There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.

    AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme
    AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

    Service Preserved Pensions

    Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

    The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006. However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

    Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) but pension payments are made by Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Scheme (AFPS).
  9. My mate used this number in Dec to get her forecast!!
  10. If you live abroad be aware that your pension will not be indxed linked each year
  11. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
  12. Aha, I'm sure that's the address I had before, thanks, this time I"ve got it saved and printed.
  13. Stan this applies to certain countries,but I live in Spain and my pension is indexed linked.
    I do not know all the countries but think Australia and Canada are some of the ones when it is not index linked every year!!
    I think the portsmouth number is now defunct and all services come under the umbrella of Glasgow
  14. Like you I have been impressed by their briefs. The main thing I learned was that if I have any pension snags, the joining fee would be well worth it!
  15. Just to clarify, the state pension is not index linked in certain countries but AFPS benefits are treated the same no matter where you live.
  16. The Forces Pension Society is absolutely worth the joining fee.Helped me to put my affairs in order!!
  17. Called the Glasgow number today, made a few options, got a real nice guy on the line, he advised all I have to do is call them again April 15th and they
    will set the whole thing in motion. He aslo advised I didn't need a UK bank account. The only thing I have to sort out is the taxes, as its taxed at the
    source in the UK, I will then be taxed again this end. He advised I can get help with that as well in setting things up.
    So thanks for all the help guys, I'm good to go, just have to wait till April now.
  18. Hi all,
    If you are working under a company and you are the oldest employer of this company and on the age of 60s then the company will retired you and give you pension every month at your home because you are unable to work more and you will only get pension.
  19. If I'm not at home, who gets the pension then?
  20. All done now, found out that living in Canada it is NOT taxed at both ends as there is a tax treaty between UK and Canada. Also found out that
    it will be indexed so that's a bonus, advised it went up 5.2% last year. Lump sum arrives aprox 2 weeks after 60th then first monthly payment
    month after 60th. Again thanks for all the help guys, it was pretty easy in the end with just one phone call.

Share This Page