pennant mystery

Hi there, I have seen a Pennant that I can't identify, it's between 40 and 50 ft long , about 2ft on the hoist with a St Georges cross of approx 12 ft long followed by a RED fly. I was told by an ex rating that it was a" Paying off "pennant, but this doesn't fit with any searches I have made, nor does it seem to be a commissioning pennant, any ideas please ?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
A paying-off pennant for something from the merchant service?
The red coming from the red ensign?
Wild guess, no evidence.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
From Dave Morris (Ex Bunting) on the HMS Mercury site...

Not a paying off pennant, but an old commissioning pennant for a ship in the red squadron - `In the Royal Navy the commissioning pennant is flown continuously in every ship and establishment in commission unless displaced by a senior officer's Rank flag. The masthead pennant is a cross of St George in the hoist and a white fly.[3] Formerly, when the Royal Navy was divided into red, white and blue squadrons, there were four different pennants in use, the colour of the fly of three of the pennants corresponding with the colour of the squadron ensign, and a fourth for ships on independent commission (i.e. not attached to a squadron, therefore directly under the command of the Admiralty in London), with the fly containing (from top to bottom) red white and blue in a triband form (such ships would wear the red ensign). Modern commissioning pennants are significantly shorter than in previous centuries - typically 1m in length and only 10 cm at the hoist, tapering to a squared-off point' (From Wikipedia)

Hi there, I have seen a Pennant that I can't identify, it's between 40 and 50 ft long , about 2ft on the hoist with a St Georges cross of approx 12 ft long followed by a RED fly. I was told by an ex rating that it was a" Paying off "pennant, but this doesn't fit with any searches I have made, nor does it seem to be a commissioning pennant, any ideas please ?
@Bilge Runner

It might narrow the options if you could tell us where/what vessel was wearing this Pennant you describe.

Over to you, please?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vauxhall Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Finance & Pensions 0
chris1984_99_99 History 2