Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Penlea Lifeboat

There are other things other than cost that dictate changes in station eqipment. As you say speed is important, which is why all the new big boats are faster than their predecessors, but for leisure casualties which are the growing side of the business inshore craft are not only often the best but can also be lauched faster and get to the casualty faster. Crewing in some places is also becoming a problem, not through lack of volunteers but through lack of local jobs for the volunteers, once your volunteer has to commute he becomes less effective not matter how good or willing he is.

Without knowing precise details it is not possible to say whether this is simply a more appropriate service or a cost cutting one.

I can say though that in the past ten years the RNLI has made a vast investment in new equipment and facilities and is continually updating the fleet, not the actions of an organisation driven by accountants I would suggest.

Peter

There are other things other than cost that dictate changes in station eqipment. As you say speed is important, which is why all the new big boats are faster than their predecessors, but for leisure casualties which are the growing side of the business inshore craft are not only often the best but can also be lauched faster and get to the casualty faster. Crewing in some places is also becoming a problem, not through lack of volunteers but through lack of local jobs for the volunteers, once your volunteer has to commute he becomes less effective not matter how good or willing he is.

Without knowing precise details it is not possible to say whether this is simply a more appropriate service or a cost cutting one.

I can say though that in the past ten years the RNLI has made a vast investment in new equipment and facilities and is continually updating the fleet, not the actions of an organisation driven by accountants I would suggest.

Peter

Apologies for my stutter, the system seems to have decided my post was so goo you all need to read it twice.

Peter

Greenie said:
I have great 'respect ' for the RNLI as well. Lost my 65ft Mfv in some horrible weather -long story but was very glad to see them.

I am definately all for them in everyway. I think the Government should back up the RNLI -its all done with voluntary contributions at the moment but for the service they provide its should be state aided .

The RNLI are a totally independant organisation by choice, if the government and Mr Bliar had anything to do with them they would be downsized and outsourced to other Countries as it would be cheaper.

By remaining independant the organisation decides how when and where it spends its much deserved money. I live in Selsey and am currently trying to get into the RNLI as crew. Each station raise money and the community come together to show their respect to the crew's

Latest Threads