Penlea Lifeboat

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Maxi_77, Aug 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did any one else watch the programme on the Penlea Lifeboat disaster last night. An object lesson in dedication and commitment for us all.

Peter

2. An amazing example of bravery and unselfishness,
    Bravery because when that boat launched every man jack of them knew what they were letting themselves in for.
    Unselfishness because they were willing to risk their lives against insurmountable odds to save others.

Special people indeed. may they rest in peace.

3. Damn, I meant to watch that and missed it.

Very brave people indeed and I have so much admiration for them all. One of the few organizations I will always bung a few quid in the charity pot for.

4. Couldn't agree more, we always bung money in for the RNLI. I was a teenager when it happened - it was very close to home, and I can remember sitting with my family listening to the scanner, with Falmouth coastguard trying to raise the lifeboat, and getting no reply. Still makes me go cold all over.

5. 1981: Lifeboat crew missing after mission
    A desperate search is underway for eight members of a life boat crew missing feared dead off the Cornish coast.

All contact has been lost with the crew of RNLI Penlee lifeboat, Soloman Browne, which was answering a distress call in treacherous weather conditions last night.

The men were giving assistance to Union Star whose crew reported engine failure eight miles east of Wolf Rock Lighthouse, south-west Cornwall.

Last contact with the Penlee crew was made last night shortly after reports it had rescued four of the eight people aboard the Union Star.

But this morning the vessel was found broken into small pieces.

Seven bodies have been recovered from the water.

The rescue attempt was taking place in winds coming from the south east at hurricane force 12, gusting to 90 knots and the sea reaching 60ft high.

Many of the crew, volunteers made up of fishermen among others, were from the close-knit fishing community of Mousehole.

Local men and those from neighbouring stations have joined a major sea and air search alongside a naval helicopter, life boats and fishing vessels.

Shock

They have been searching since the early hours of this morning and pledged to continue indefinitely despite waning hopes the men will be found alive.

The community is described as being 'numb with shock' as the Penlee lifeboat has been on station for 21 years and the crew were all experienced.

But the conditions last night were so poor that in spite many attempts a Royal Navy Sea King helicopter was unable to lift off any of the coaster's crew.

This morning the Union Star is upturned and washed ashore at the bottom of cliffs.

It is understood she launched from Denmark ten days ago and was travelling to Ireland with a cargo of fertilisers.

There is speculation the Solomon Browne may have collided with the hull of the Union Star, with many ruling out a capsize because this type of boat is subject to regular checks.

And at times they rescue silly people who never even take out a life jacket or enough fuel for there journey.

These are the people who should be praised in the honours lists not pathetic footballers and even more pathetic politicians.

6. Started to watch it but crimped on the couch and missed most of it. :(

Anyone know whether it will be repeated on BBC3 or BBC4? Can't find anything on t'internet

7. BP1. The last line of your post I totally agree with. The lifeboatmen are exactly the people who SHOULD be recognised and name in honours lists instead of some of the usual suspects who cannot even spell RNLI.

8. Thank you lads for some heartwarming comments. I am a Navigator on Dungeness Lifeboat and I can assure you we all appreciate your thoughts;
    Cheers to all of you.

9. RESPECT mate. I am originally from Hythe and know Dungerness fairly well. Bit deslote down there though ain't it. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

10. Cheers Brigham. to be fair we don't get the weather they get in Cornwall, the guys down there are real lifeboatmen.

11. You maybe right with regards the weather and yes, it does get bloody rough in that part of the world. But, you like hundreds of others are willing to put your lives on the line to save others and as I stated earlier - 'Respect'

12. I have great 'respect ' for the RNLI as well. Lost my 65ft Mfv in some horrible weather -long story but was very glad to see them.

I am definately all for them in everyway. I think the Government should back up the RNLI -its all done with voluntary contributions at the moment but for the service they provide its should be state aided .

13. Could not agree more, they all know the dangers being mostly having something to do with the sea and yet they still go out whatever the weather!
    Respect does not say enough.

Found this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/20/newsid_2539000/2539173.stm

14. If you could extract the cash from the government without having the dead hand of pollies on how it was spent I might agree, but the way things actually work you would have cutbacks, and lifeboat statians built in MPs back yards before long if you went down that path.

It isn't broke and it doesn't need fixed. To save myself crossing the street to put money in the can I now do it by direct debit.

Peter

15. Unfortunately, even the RNLI are 'downgrading' some of their stations. Sunderland and Blyth have now been reduced to inshore stations, whilst I am led to believe, the the Tynemouth Lifeboat's patch has been extended from Hartlepool to Amble!
    Where speed makes the difference between life & death, is it a real economy to reduce the cover supplied on a voluntary basis to a voluntary organisation for the benefit of everyone who goes to sea?
    It seems like the accountants are running everything!

16. There are other things other than cost that dictate changes in station eqipment. As you say speed is important, which is why all the new big boats are faster than their predecessors, but for leisure casualties which are the growing side of the business inshore craft are not only often the best but can also be lauched faster and get to the casualty faster. Crewing in some places is also becoming a problem, not through lack of volunteers but through lack of local jobs for the volunteers, once your volunteer has to commute he becomes less effective not matter how good or willing he is.

Without knowing precise details it is not possible to say whether this is simply a more appropriate service or a cost cutting one.

I can say though that in the past ten years the RNLI has made a vast investment in new equipment and facilities and is continually updating the fleet, not the actions of an organisation driven by accountants I would suggest.

Peter

17. There are other things other than cost that dictate changes in station eqipment. As you say speed is important, which is why all the new big boats are faster than their predecessors, but for leisure casualties which are the growing side of the business inshore craft are not only often the best but can also be lauched faster and get to the casualty faster. Crewing in some places is also becoming a problem, not through lack of volunteers but through lack of local jobs for the volunteers, once your volunteer has to commute he becomes less effective not matter how good or willing he is.

Without knowing precise details it is not possible to say whether this is simply a more appropriate service or a cost cutting one.

I can say though that in the past ten years the RNLI has made a vast investment in new equipment and facilities and is continually updating the fleet, not the actions of an organisation driven by accountants I would suggest.

Peter

Apologies for my stutter, the system seems to have decided my post was so goo you all need to read it twice.

Peter

18. The RNLI are a totally independant organisation by choice, if the government and Mr Bliar had anything to do with them they would be downsized and outsourced to other Countries as it would be cheaper.

By remaining independant the organisation decides how when and where it spends its much deserved money. I live in Selsey and am currently trying to get into the RNLI as crew. Each station raise money and the community come together to show their respect to the crew's