Pecking order

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Karma, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Article on the BBC about greetings.

It's the unspoken dilemma dividing Britain - one kiss, or two. Once the preserve of family and close friends, the peck on the cheek is creeping into all walks of life. But no one is sure when it's suitable, and how many are appropriate.

The firm I work for is about 50% female and I don't recall anything more than a handshake.

2. THE PARTY

what will we do about it tonight????? :rendeer:

3. It's custom over this way to greet a guest with a kiss on each cheek, I did it in the uk once, so use to it! I got such a rude look and swore the dude was going to knock me sideways!

4. Tried tongues once but got a slap instead.
    Stuck to shaking hands after that.

(I though he wouldnt mind)

5. Further evidence that few people know how to be English these days. Now we can't even be sure that we don't mean blokes!

6. Yes Loggie, but its' hard to kiss with a stiff upper lip.
    My immediate family, male members included, have always kissed each other on the cheek as a greeting or a goodbye.

7. Honey, anytime you want to kiss my cheeks, consider them presented ;)

I had dinner with a friend over from France the other week. She's now completely confused as some of our friends shake hands, some kiss once, twice, three times on the cheeks, and some hug. I suppose that's what happens when you have so many multi-national friends

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Personally I've always found kissing people I'm about to interview somewhat off-putting.

It's OK for them because I'm essence of course....

9. So you don't find that a quick snog before the interview calms them down? :thumright: