pearl harbour on a box brownie

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Kin incredible phots Scouse, where did you find them?
  2. He took them all on his box brownie, after changing his brownie underpants :w00t:
  3. A friend e mailed them to me. They are from a box brownie stored away in a foot locker and recently developed. The matelot was on USS QUAPAW ATFIIO :thumright: 12 in total. :thumright:More to follow on :thumright:
  4. Well, woop-de-do.

Cracking set of phots there Scouse, wherever they may have come from :)
  5. Sapphire, I think you'll find that most USN photographers were issued with a Graflex Speed Graphics (large format) or Super D Graflex SLRs to take official photographs. These photos have been in the USN Archives since the 40s as official photos of the attack. The famous photo of Iwo Jima was taken with a Speed Graphic. A combat graphic was later used.

UK Mil photographers originally were issued with press cameras which they found unsuitable for combat conditions. Later they were issued with German-made Zeiss Super-Ikontas wafter a shipment had been 'liberated'.

Soviets used the Leica (most popular model was the IIIa) and FED, while the Germans like to use the Welta Weltur 645.

This is a combat speed graphic:[​IMG]

If you'd like to do some more reading on the subject, I can suggest the following books:

1) "Combat Cameraman" by Jerry Joswick and Lawrence Keating. This is mostly about movie photography with the Army Air Force. Joswick seems mostly to have used a Bell & Howell Eyemo. The rear cover on my paperback (Pyramid Press 1963) copy shows a GI in combat gear using a Speed Graphic.

2) "Armed With Cameras" Peter Maslowski (Free Press 1993) Eyemos and Speed Graphics appear prominently in the photo section.

3) "Yankee Nomand" by David Douglas Duncan (Holt, Rinehart, & Winston, 1967). There are a couple of photographs of Duncan with what appears to be a Super Ikonta. In the Korean War and later, Duncam was well known for using a Leica.
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I had a Brownie (won by my uncle in a fancy dress competition in 1930) - it could NEVER have taken pics like these. In particular it was fixed-focus with a crude three-position stop to accommodate different light levels. Took Kodak 120 film.
  7. Excellent pictures, but it seems unlikely they were all taken by the one person. There are some take from the Sub Base, some from Ford Island and other locations. It seems unlikey that one person could move around so much during the attack.
  8. I spent 6 days in Pearl Harbour berthed alongside in 2000

Loved it
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

In Pearl 1968; visited Arizona memorial; total power cut in Honolulu presumably in our honour; ship's flight commander persuaded several American women that all Brits have green tongues.