Peaked cap

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Hammy514, Nov 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why are the inside of peaks coloured green ???
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Camouflaged, for when you drop it in the field... :cool:
  3. Was a serious question , a mate is on a promotion course and was fast balled with this
  4. Because the other sides green but has a coating/cover on it?
  5. Possibly because they had run out of red ones !!!!!!!
  6. sgtpepperband

Then perhaps he would do better to bit the bullet and admit he doesn't know, and ask his Instructor why - rather than asking his mate to ask on his behalf on an unofficial public forum... :? 8O :wink:
  7. Not 100% sure but is it anything to do with the fact that the Colour Green is less stressfull on your eyes?
  8. Thats what I thought , less stressfull and aborbs reflected light better
  9. The green bit is on the underside of the cap and not exposed to direct sunlight. Therefore is has no light to absorb let alone reflect.

I don't think this thread is going anywhere. I'm fed up with it already but just thought I'd add something to it for what it's worth. :lol:
  10. sgtpepperband

(.)(.) = 8008135

(Me too, Drakey...) :twisted:
  11. OP should ask one of his mates, Cheesy514 & Eggy514.

12. Drakey thats your opinion and im all for free speech, so if you dont mind .......... start charging your self. As stated im trying to help out a mate who needs th answer for a course he's on. The peak's underside as you rightly pointed out is not exposed to direct light (no shit shelock , do you work for the police by any chance???) but it does absorb reflected light from the face and other objects and it it is less stressfull to the eyes.

I have got my answers from this thread but will keep it open just to annoy DRAKEY
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good question!

From a tri service perspective they ain't always.

Just done a tri-service poll: current RN male officers/senior rates - green. RAF males-green. Army - take your pick... Paras (sprogs) no peaked cap- same as some Irish & Scots regiments, those that do have peaked caps, in a small cross-sample have green, red, , blue, black & grey undersides to the peak.

Read into it what you will, but some of those that have green undersides seem to think the colour has a psychological founding as green has a calming effect, others think it's simply the colour available at the time & subsequent contractors follow the pattern copy provided.

My guess is the latter as one tends not to climb out of the trench into the melee wearing a peaked cap unless they're bonkers.
  14. sgtpepperband

No he doesn't - but I do! Pleased to meet you, Porky... :salut:

Wow; 14 posts in and he's been promoted to Moderator already - didn't know Newbies could lock threads! Not fuggin' 'appy... :cry:
  15. Hammy,

when you have untwisted your shreddies try asking these people:

Garry Beverley Tailoring Limited

That Website says "I am now the only maker of quality handmade Officers Caps and Yachting Caps in the UK"

I believe they were previously recommended by a RR member for those seeking a hatter(non-brown variety)

Talugra House
    Winchester Road
    Waltham Chase
    SO32 2LW
    United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1489 890941
    Email: [email protected]
  16. Get over yourself. :yawnstretch:
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Inside of an NO's cap peak is green also.
  18. All I can find on regs is this:-

Royal Navy officers, Warrant officers, and Senior Rates today wear a framed cap with a white cover and a black band in Nos 1, 2 and 3 Dress; originally only worn in tropical climes, the white cover was adopted for all areas after the Second World War. For officers, there is a option of a cotton or plastic cover.

Nothing on peaks

But I'm sure someone will give a definitive answer.

19. I was always told that it was more restful on the eye, somewhere comfortable to 'point your eyeballs at' when what you see beyond the peak is bright..! Or is that just something the DLs come up with because the branch is toppers with mastermind candidates...