Peak flow diary follow up

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jimbo_Navy, Aug 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

When I was born I had a few signs of asthma, never supplied with an inhaler and was completely cleared up
    before I could even walk. But from my medical I was still required to complete a peak flow diary which I am now in the last week of. My question is, once I have completed this and I am passed as fit by the doc, will that be the end of it or will I have to go on for further testing at a later date?
    Also, just out of curiosity, my readings are slightly lower in the morning than the evening (around 15-20) is that normal?

thanks in advance and sorry if similar has been posted before!
  2. Afternoon,

If you pass the Peak Flow Diary and check on your GP, then that should be it.
    Also it is normal to have some variance, its the % of it that it the defining figure and consistency of the occurence.

Hope all goes well.
  3. Ideal, I was just wondering if they did any follow up tests at Raleigh or at PRNC Ect..
    Out of curiosity, do you know the % around which is deemed normal?
    Quick web search shows up around 15% but im guessing the Navy regulations are bit more strict?

Thanks again,
  4. I had to do a peak flow and nothing was mentioned to me about redoing it at a later date.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There is no future requirement to undergo a peak flow diary after joining.

If someone with a previous history of asthma is later found to still have the condition, then in all probability they will be medically discharged.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thats great now I can look forward to cracking on with training with it all being put to bed.
    thanks again
  7. @angrydoc My peak flow reading is 400 - I'm female, 23, 159cm and quite little in build. Is this acceptable or do I fall into not good enough sunshine category? Desperately want to join...

8. goto this calculator, it will tell you what your normal peak flow should be ,
  9. I've seen (thank you @KennerZ94 however, I didn't know if mob doctors included the x amount of millilitres that are deemed within a variable score below ....