Pea-Doo

A mate and I got on to this during a bit of a reminiscing session at the weekend. Why was/is the LSGC referred to as a Pea-Doo? I've tried Googling it but only came up with one site that said the origin was obscure!

Anyway, I said I would ask on here just out of interest like. Any ideas?

Harry_off_the_Hermes said:
A mate and I got on to this during a bit of a reminiscing session at the weekend. Why was/is the LSGC referred to as a Pea-Doo? I've tried Googling it but only came up with one site that said the origin was obscure!

Whoop-pea-doo?

Welshbird said:

Whoop-pea-doo?
I wish I'd thought of that! :thumright:

I seem to remember being told that in the olden days there was a payment as a reward for staying in the mob for that long that you got with (or maybe instead of) a LSGC medal. This was noted on your docs as "Pdu" short for paid up. Therefore the LSGC medal is refered to as a Pea doo. Makes sense to me but I could have believed a good dit from a sh1t spinner.

Steve

Slight variation on StevieE's missive. Payment of the gratuity, that went with the LSGC medal, was entered of pay documents as "Paid Dues". Hence PDo.

Semper Strenuissima

Dhoby, just noticed your dit about 24 cans in a crate. How is it I only get 18 per crate when I buy my monthly allowance?

Keep Striving

I was told that Pea Doo was the old Navy's term for pea soup, and the inference was that the LS&GC medal was like pea soup 'cos it came up with the rations.

The £20 (or £30) was supposed to be a down payment on a house, as Pusser reckoned that by the time Jack had reached that age, he was responsible enough to be a man of property.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Pea doo was indeed pea soup (or properly pease pottage) served on banyan days when there was no meat on the menu. NB this goes back a long way - long before banyan came to mean a picnic ashore.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Blue Jokes 1
dondon Miscellaneous 1
Ventress The Quarterdeck 78