Pea-Doo

Discussion in 'History' started by Harry_off_the_Hermes, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A mate and I got on to this during a bit of a reminiscing session at the weekend. Why was/is the LSGC referred to as a Pea-Doo? I've tried Googling it but only came up with one site that said the origin was obscure!

Anyway, I said I would ask on here just out of interest like. Any ideas?

2. Perhaps because it's a tasty dish available to all who seek it. :lol:

PS: I haven't heard pea-doo mentioned since I read Lionel Yexley's memoirs!

3. Whoop-pea-doo?

4. She could hold my youpidoo and no mistake!

5. LS&GC medal or P2
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

6. I wish I'd thought of that! :thumright:

7. Can you elaborate a bit Geoff?

8. I seem to remember being told that in the olden days there was a payment as a reward for staying in the mob for that long that you got with (or maybe instead of) a LSGC medal. This was noted on your docs as "Pdu" short for paid up. Therefore the LSGC medal is refered to as a Pea doo. Makes sense to me but I could have believed a good dit from a sh1t spinner.

Steve

9. Thanks for that Steve. Makes sense to me as well and certainly seems more likely than this Proper Naval Research.

10. Slight variation on StevieE's missive. Payment of the gratuity, that went with the LSGC medal, was entered of pay documents as "Paid Dues". Hence PDo.

Semper Strenuissima

11. Yep that makes slightly more sense to me too. Cheers

Steve

12. Cheers guys. :thumright:

13. Is it still a massive £20?

14. Dhoby, just noticed your dit about 24 cans in a crate. How is it I only get 18 per crate when I buy my monthly allowance?

Keep Striving

15. 24 divide by 4 (weeks) = 6 per week

X3 good weeks = 18

You obviously have a "bad week" hence only 18 tinnies.....

16. I was told that Pea Doo was the old Navy's term for pea soup, and the inference was that the LS&GC medal was like pea soup 'cos it came up with the rations.

17. The £20 (or £30) was supposed to be a down payment on a house, as Pusser reckoned that by the time Jack had reached that age, he was responsible enough to be a man of property.

18. I came across this while doing some research so, starter for ten. What was known as Pea-doo and bollicky?

19. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Pea doo was indeed pea soup (or properly pease pottage) served on banyan days when there was no meat on the menu. NB this goes back a long way - long before banyan came to mean a picnic ashore.