PCSOs and Drowning Child (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dhoby_bucket, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

Perhaps they were non swimming PCSOs afraid of water. For some the fear of water cannot be overcome.

Real question is:

Where were the parents or minders of these kids?

2. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

I reckon its more a case of insurance and health and safety, and sometimes if the PCSO's didn't have the correct training this decision might have saved their lives.

Jordan jumped into the river to rescue his sister, and fell into some difficulties. I suspect that if one of the community support officers who arrived on the scene subsequently leapt into the water to rescue Jordan, we could be reading about two deaths in the paper rather than one.

3. Community Police and Drowning Child

I'm with the parents. How could anyone stand by while a 10 year old drowns without even attempting a rescue. The first members of the general public who happened along went in to help and rescued the little girl.

I appreciate that going into water is risky, but it only needed one of the CSOs to make the necessary calls. If the senior policemean on the BBC News is correct that policemen are actively discouraged from attempting rescues in these circumstances, it's time for a complete rethink of what our police are for.

4. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

Half the ones I've seen look even less fit than me and that's saying something - still I suppose there is the consolation that they have to live with themselves

5. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

seems to me cso are no good for nowt unless you are having a ciggy outside a pub and they accuse you of causing an obstruction i know happened to me useless twats they should have done something though if only jump in and drown

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

I'm no wiser on the facts of this one than the next person, however, from what I (and millions of others) saw on the news tonight:

The 10 year old boy went in to save his Step Sister (8). Two anglers on the scene went to help & extracted the girl successfully.

The boy disappeared and then the community cops arrived. The pond (lake?) is the size of a football pitch, no-one knew where the boy was, more people were needed to search the area.

No-one stood watching the boy drown, no-one knew where he was.

No reference was made to who was looking after the primary school children at the time.

7. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

I recall a case in the late 60s. The Culdrose SAR went to a large lake/pond. A number of specators watched the child drown including a policeman. The aircrewman was lowered and found that the water came just over his knees. A very furious and sad man!

8. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

I understand all that, but they knew where the girl was recovered and the lad was very unlikely to have been far away, as he went in to try to save her. After all, this was a still lake, not a river or a place where there was a current that might have swept him away. His Mum and Dad just needed to know that someone tried, but the only consolation they have is that their boy was very brave and did his level best to save his sister. Greater Manchester Police should hang their collective heads in shame.

9. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

Apologies, I started a new thread without seeing this one.

10. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

Come on guys.

The PCSO's arrived to a lake roughly the size of a football pitch with NO SIGN of any bodies or struggling children. They got hold of those that could help and in my opinion, after hearing the full interview, they did the right thing.

They didn't stand around while two children were drowning.

The little girl was being held up by her step brother. She was pulled from the water but the brave little boy was gone before the rescuers could grab him.

It is a sad and terrible loss, but it was an accident. No one is to blame for this. Certainly not the parents either. Didn't WE all play outside and go to places we shouldn't have without our parents knowing?

11. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

Blimey!! You alright? Has all that sea air got to you, you've come over all sensible!

Lamri for MOD!!!

12. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

i agree Lamri. Just watched the story on the news, and i know its the BBC and i have my own views about those b*stards, no-one is to blame, it was a horrible accident.

13. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

Ok so as the 'top cop' said they are not trained for this activity which can be very risky. Therfore they did the right thing! Technically, yes! But there are times when training goes out the window and you just gotta try and help! they do not stand condemmed for doing the right thing, THEY STAND CONDEMMED FOR NOT TRYING! The parents (and others) have to survive this and need to know that their police services will try to help them! I wouldn't want to be a CPSO anywhere for the next few weeks - nobody will give a damn about them!

What does CPSO mean - COMMUNITY POLICE SERVICE officer - don't look like these guys were any of those does it? Pity, they've ruined for those who do try!

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

I wasn't there, you weren't there & neither were his parents it would seem.

It's amazing how many experts, willing to attribute blame there are though.

15. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

It's about being seen to be keen! they are not being condemmed for doing the right thing, there comes a time when even though you know its stupid and wrong you have to do something (if we'd have taken this attitiude with Norway when the Germans invaded during WW2 I wonder what the outcome would have been, and the guys who went over knew they were wasting ther time but they tried) COMMUNITY SUPPORT? didn't see any of that happening did we? Ain't done themselves any favours have they?

16. Re: What level of training do you need to be a human being

Better to run around making things worse then?
    Are you joking? I've never heard such a load of rubbish!
    Yawn :roll:
    I think you need to get yourself in line with the actual FACTS mate ;)

17. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

Of course they attribute blame and rightly so, you don't have to be there to know that they could have at least made an attempt while waiting for for assistance.

The anglers jumped into the water not worried about getting their hair wet or smelly water in their socks, they knew within a couple of feet where he was, there was no 10 knot tide.

Sorry, I have to join the others in making it known that I am disgusted with what happened, and most of all the chief constables attempts to gloss it over and not in any way take some blame.

18. Re: Community Police and Drowning Child

Judging by the shape and state of some of the PCSOs I've seen on the streets recently they look as if they'd have difficulty getting in and out of a bath, never mind a lake.
    I would have thought that ANY reasonable and averagely fit person coming on that situation, would at least have given it a try.

2BM