Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pc and bullying

andym said:
Back to the topic,the only thing that might be construed as bullying was when we stuck my oppo derek hatch in his kitbag and hung it from the rafters all night!LOL

Undersized matelot or oversized kitbag? :? I hope as Medics you were monitoring his blood pressure and heart rate through the night? :roll:

andym

War Hero
Under sized matelot,he was nicknamed "The Marine" as he would have a go at anybody,the bigger the better!He was about 5 foot 6 from Redcar.i beleive hes a copper in Gosport CID now.At the time he was strung up we hadnt really got to grips with Blood pressure and suchlike!

I thought this might be of interest, old though it is... I think it makes a perfectly good point about the issue of perception and reality.

Bullying is down to perception and role

Personnel Today 4 October 2005

This article first appeared in Personnel Today magazine.

I read with interest your news article about managers being bullied (Personnel Today, 20 September) and especially the statistics from the Royal Navy.

I am an ex-charge chief petty officer air engineering artificer with 25 years' service. I have been employed for 13 years by British Airways (BA) as the chief instructor engineering (training manager) at Cardiff.

From experience I know that if I spoke to civilians (who have no prior military background) at BA in the same way or using the same language that I often used when in the Royal Navy, or currently to ex-service persons at BA, I would probably be classed as a bully.

You will probably find that a large proportion of the personnel working for the Royal Navy as civil servants are ex-servicemen and women, which is probably why there have been only five complaints from civilian staff working for the Royal Navy.

Roy Chin
Chief instructor
British Airways Maintenance Cardiff

source

Darb

Lantern Swinger
f,r,i,s,p to the sprogs that means fuckin repulsive ignorant scottish pig

On the "correctness" theme, it should be "rotten" not "repulsive" and "scots" not "scottish" :roll:

On the PC theme:

I recall a drill instructor – I refuse to call the individual a “GI†because he was a PO Cook – saying to one of our squad having made a hash of a “from the halt to the halt, on the right, form squad" manoeuvre:

“In the Navy, we have to be polite, so on that basis I can’t call you a c**t can I?

Young trainee: “Noâ€.

“But I can think you are a c***t, can’t I?

Young trainee: “Yesâ€

“Well then,†crowed the PO Cook loudly, “I think you’re a c**t.€

PC at its best, 1970s style

Bullies don't stand much of a chance in a "watch your oppos back" society, unfortunately that is rare. I was visiting Guzz last year and saw a teenege girl being harrassed and kicked etc. very distressed indeed by some 5 or so other teens. This was by the sundial in the city centre about 1500 hours. Lots of people watching but no one did a thing. I asked her if she was OK and she said no so I said come with me and walked her out of it. Yeah I got a lot of abuse from the teens andmight have got more if they weren't slighly doubtful that I might hurt them (I wouldn't/couldn't of course as I would have been big bad skinhead slaps innocent child when in court). Point being, the residents of Guzz that day pissed me right off, if just one or two or better still, all of them told these little freaks to stop they would have run scared for sure. Society needs a kick up the arse sometimes. I love watching the news here when a rapist/murderer/robber gets caught by the police and promptly gets a good leathering from the public. Nice.

Lingyai said:
Bullies don't stand much of a chance in a "watch your oppos back" society, unfortunately that is rare. I was visiting Guzz last year and saw a teenege girl being harrassed and kicked etc. very distressed indeed by some 5 or so other teens. This was by the sundial in the city centre about 1500 hours. Lots of people watching but no one did a thing. I asked her if she was OK and she said no so I said come with me and walked her out of it. Yeah I got a lot of abuse from the teens andmight have got more if they weren't slighly doubtful that I might hurt them (I wouldn't/couldn't of course as I would have been big bad skinhead slaps innocent child when in court). Point being, the residents of Guzz that day pissed me right off, if just one or two or better still, all of them told these little freaks to stop they would have run scared for sure. Society needs a kick up the arse sometimes. I love watching the news here when a rapist/murderer/robber gets caught by the police and promptly gets a good leathering from the public. Nice.

I agree Lingy, but sadly the attitude is usually 'it's none of my business'. To some extent is may be a fear of litigation by the perpetrator/s, but I suspect too often it is simply a conveinent excuse for inaction. People forget that in order to have a cohesive society we need to work as a team, not as dispirate atoms.

Incidentally congratulations of being elevated to War Hero status. You've earned it!

Steve.

WarMonger

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
Lingyai said:

I agree Lingy, but sadly the attitude is usually 'it's none of my business'. To some extent is may be a fear of litigation by the perpetrator/s, but I suspect too often it is simply a conveinent excuse for inaction. People forget that in order to have a cohesive society we need to work as a team, not as dispirate atoms.

Incidentally congratulations of being elevated to War Hero status. You've earned it!

Steve.

I dont think it just comes down to litigation or that its a convenient excuse..I think alot more of it its down to if you intervene are you likley to get filled in yourself....unfortunately the danger from young children and skin heads turning on you and placing a blade between your ribs has closed considerably..!!

Shakey

War Hero
Lingyai said:
I was visiting Guzz last year and saw a teenege girl being harrassed and kicked etc. very distressed indeed by some 5 or so other teens. This was by the sundial in the city centre about 1500 hours. Lots of people watching but no one did a thing. I asked her if she was OK and she said no so I said come with me and walked her out of it.

There's this psychological phenomenon called 'de-individuation' where people stop acting as individuals and start acting as part of a crowd. People are less likely to help if it's busy 'cos they think someone else will deal with it.

The research was sparked by a case in America where a girl was raped and murdered in the courtyard of a block of flats and no residents did anything 'cos everyone assumed someone else would deal with it or call the police. No one did!

Anyway, BZ for setting an example!

Shakey said:
Lingyai said:
I was visiting Guzz last year and saw a teenege girl being harrassed and kicked etc. very distressed indeed by some 5 or so other teens. This was by the sundial in the city centre about 1500 hours. Lots of people watching but no one did a thing. I asked her if she was OK and she said no so I said come with me and walked her out of it.

There's this psychological phenomenon called 'de-individuation' where people stop acting as individuals and start acting as part of a crowd. People are less likely to help if it's busy 'cos they think someone else will deal with it.

The research was sparked by a case in America where a girl was raped and murdered in the courtyard of a block of flats and no residents did anything 'cos everyone assumed someone else would deal with it or call the police. No one did!

Anyway, BZ for setting an example!

As a result of that famous case Shakey, it is now a criminal offence in that State NOT to intervene without good reason.

That's the trouble, it's always someone elses problem. I put the girl in a taxi after she told me she had family at home and told gave the driver enough money to take her home. Why? Didn't want to walk her home myself for fear of being accused of being a fiddler. Crazy world we live in or what?Still, had some bullying issues myself as a kid and would have loved anyone to step in and help me, no one did though and sadly I was taught to counter that kind of thing with violence, not ideal but it works well. Fear of confrontation and getting stabbed etc. I understand that too. Maybe I should go to the temple and seek enlightenment to find an answer to all these questions, or maybe just walk softly through life carrying a big stick. After all, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six?