PAYD during Basic training

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
Hi everyone!

I've had a root around on here and can only find info about Phase 2 PAYD.
Can anyone provide information about if recruits are PAYD during our lovely 10 week stay at HMS Raleigh?
I would like to know for budgeting reasons, I need to "adult" (sadface).

Cheers!

that's really helpful to know too! can you tell me what those payments are for please?
I think you just have to pay for food and accommodation which is automatically deducted.

They will encourage you to sign up for some RN specific charities whilst you're there; these will also be deducted from your pay if you choose to sign up to them.

There is also a shop, cafe and a bar (which I think you can use freely from about week six?) but of course, if money is tight then you don't need to use these.

Other than that it's just money for the endless amounts of polish, shower gel, food bags, lint rollers and dhoby dust you'll use :p

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
Sultan is my next stop after Torpoint, I'm going for ETME - I dont mind about bad accommodation, I've lived in a tent on dartmoor for 9 months! *dark times*

We had the 4man LET accomodation for our first week, the mess was fine but the communal areas were shocking with no lighting and all showers broken in one way or another,
now we're in the 1929 block its slightly better but not great.

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
So it's week 3 ( I got backclassed for failing WHT) just about to go into MTU again tomorrow and I've noted that this place isn't as bad as people make it sound (not everyone) the showers are all broken in one way or another though and I've figured out everything, EVERYTHING the instructors do here is a test to test your resolve and stress resistance! Fun fun!

WHT = Weapon Handling Test. Basically the correct procedures for the SA80, such as misfires,jams etc. You have to do it throughout your career, not just in Phase 1.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Diamond Lil's 19
trehorn Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 101
D Finance & Pensions 6