Pay spine

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rolling-stone, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I found a website listing armed forces pay including the RN. It says there is a higher band and lower band. Is this defo the case As there's a Fair difference, and if so what does the CIS branch come under?
    P.s this is the website 2011 British Military Pay Award Chart
  2. CIS is lower - I think at all rates, but someone else will doubtless confirm that.

Here we go again on the Pay 2000 debate ......
  3. Damn so is CIS seen as an easy trade then? What warrants the pay scale and who is on the higher out of curiosity?
  4. Also how do levels work and how long does it roughly take to progress through one? Or is that entirely dependant on yourself?
  5. I very much doubt it's seen as an easy trade.
  6. Ok thank you very much for the info and yeah fair enough I don't need to know who is on higher I guess.
    Just one more point, so it will take me 9 years to reach leading rate if it's 1 year per level? Or can you progress onto leading without completing all 9 Ab levels?
  7. You can get promoted to LH before level 9 yes or you can be a level 9 AB

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Should be interesting to how the CIS branch fares as it becomes more aligned with the Engineers on skill sets and quals. Not to mention the branch review currently under way.
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Let's be honest though, the comms branch aren't the most overworked branch in the mob are they? Ooooh watchkeeping is so hard! Harder when you have a POS to turn to on during the day.
  10. Hasn't the RN been round and round this topic before with EBD and WBD? I thought finally the RN had realised that at no point is a scope dope or button pusher comparable with an Engineer, fair dos they are one up on pillow fluffers..............
  11. If I remember rightly,

Low is Acting, passed PPE but not done course.

Medium is Rate confirmed(1 year after course?)

Higher is passed PPE for next rate but not acting(no vacancy).
  12. Nope, not at all.
  13. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Seeing as the CIS branch is now the lead Networks team onboard they are most defiantly becoming more technician than Warfare. Which is why the trials on the employment of the CIS branch and the need for radical change in how we do "Information" will see big changes. Personally I think the WE and ME branches should merge in to an Engineering Branch (Marine, Weapons and Sensors) with Information Systems and Networks a separate branch.

The future of comms is about networks, generating a traditional voice circuit on an LPD is not about tuning and radio sets, its about managing the network and programming what circuit is delivered to which person.

The average LCIS is now as technically trained on networks and servers as many WE's, in fact I have found the AB(CIS)1 are way ahead of many senior people. There is a change afoot. Read the RNTMs and if you have an opinion voice it to the Requirements people as they struggle with this issue.
    • Like Like x 1

14. Changed since I was in then? Scale A. B. C.?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. Some of my colleagues believe that when they become WEs they will be higher payband throughout as we're now engineers. Personally I think it's more likely that we will become lower band throughout in a similar relationship to how the ETs are higher and the legacy mechanics are lower.

I've always thought the CIS were seen off because we were bundled together with all the Warfare sub-branches, if they'd all been JEd separately there might have been a chance of us being higher.

I'll wait and see!