Pay scales

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rebeccawads, Jul 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the pay scales there are different levels, do these go up each year or after certain achievements? Thank you.

2. They go up annually at each rate, 9 levels per rate.

3. Cheers for the info, also what's with the higher and lower tiers? Sorry to be a pain.

4. Some branches are higher pay band, others lower. It was worked out on who had greater responsibility within a branch. I was a Marine Engineering Artificer (or technician if you prefer) and was on the higher pay band whereas the Marine Engineering Mechanic was lower pay band. That's changed now ET has come in but it works across the different branches and is as controversial now as it was when it came in.

5. Cheers mate, I can imagine the controversy involved in that one but it sounds quite fair.

6. I'm a newbie so I hope I'm understanding this wrong. Does this mean that If there are 9 levels per rate, and the pay is increased after surpassing each level, that one would have to wait 9 years before being promoted to the next rank at the normal pace, or would the 9 levels be achieved over the span of a few years?

7. Although not an expert, as far as I am aware promotion is on merit and merit alone, if one does not deserve said promotion then they continue to climb the able rate scale and pause at the top until they do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looks like my civvy pay has well overtaken my pussers pay (plus my pensh)

However no:

Free Gym

Free Socks

Home to duties

9. Tempteddddd

10. You must have been a SR, only SRs and trainees wear pussers minging socks lol.

11. Oh yeah

A mate of mine collects pussers thins throughout the year and gives them to his dad for Christmas

• Like Like x 1
  12. You can sit on your hands and go up 9 levels and stay Level 9 for AB (for arguments sake) for the rest of your career. What normally happens is you take your LH board as soon as possible so you could go (for arguments sake) from Level 3 AB, get your LH's rate then go to LH level 1, and then repeat the exercise as you climb the ladder.

So no, you don't have to wait 9 years between rates, how quickly you climb the ladder is down to the individual and spaces available.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cal

cal Midshipman

Is there anywhere you can actually see whether a job is higher or lower spine? Not that it matters to me as i've already made my choice, but just interested, as the information doesn't seem to be available anywhere as far as I can see.

14. That is a mystery only the sea lords, God, Allah and the NAAFI manager knows the answer too

15. The AFCO may be able to help with the different pay scales.

16. Some trades swap between higher and lower bands at different rates however.

17. JSP 754 Chapter 3 Section 2 (Basic Pay)

It's two years old, but the scales haven't changed. However, the latest version was issued in July. There is also a well established dit that higher/lower will be going, all I can say is watch this space.