pay question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by theone2029, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I have a question about pay.
    Im due to join May 10th and just trying to make arrangment for finances. Now my question is, will I get a full months pay at the end of May or will I get part months pay as I started mid month?
    I have called my local AFCO and my careers adviser said that I may not get paid untill the end of June but he was unable to tell me if I would be getting full amount for May or a pro rata amount even if its all paid at the end of May.

Can anyone answer this?
  2. Pro-rata.
  3. As you are joining before the cut off date for pay to be sorted out, you will be paid for 21 days at the end of May. Pay is forwared to your back account on the last working day of the month. In this case the 29th.
  4. Sorry to hi-jack the thread so early.

Do they still make a payment of £200 at the start of training? If so when exactly is this payment usually made?
  5. No. As you will be joining before the cut off date you will not be eligible for an advance of pay.
  6. Cheers for that :D
    I can now make the relevent arrangments.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Just to follow-on from Drakey's comments above, Raleigh new joiners are advised to take approximately £80 to carry them through until their pay comes through.

Royal Marines at Lympstone still get paid a £200 cash advance.
  8. On the topic, I got told something about different pay bracket's for different job's, can somebody tell me what these are? I also got told the Army are in a higher pay bracket, this true?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Different trades at different ranks in all three services undergo job evaluation & are either placed on the higher or lower pay scales as determined by the Armed Forces Pay Review Body in their annual AFPRB Report. The pay banding changes at each rank but ALL start training on the same rate of pay initially. The Army get paid broadly the same as all other services for the equivalent jobs in the other services.

With regards which branch gets paid which & at what rank: Doubtless someone will illuminate us all, followed by a raging debate about how Pay 2000 was a divisive structure which caused huge division within the Armed Forces, with people from different trades earning different wages for doing the same job. It was never implemented for Commissioned Officers for some reason or other.

AB/Marine Rates of pay 2009/2010are listed below (assuming you do not get promoted) after 6 months on the base rate of New Entry pay- £13, 337

Level 9 £23,108 Lower Pay Band, £27,599 Higher Pay Band Ninth year of service
    Level 8 £22,300 Lower Pay Band, £26,315 Higher Pay Band Eigth year of service
    Level 7 £21,323 Lower Pay Band, £25,182 Higher Pay Band Seventh year of service
    Level 6 £20,449 Lower Pay Band, £24,077 Higher Pay Band Sixth year of service
    Level 5 £19,629 Lower Pay Band, £22,960 Higher Pay Band Fifth year of service
    Level 4 £18,625 Lower Pay Band, £20,765 Higher Pay Band Fourth year of service
    Level 3 £17,125 Lower Pay Band, £19,312 Higher Pay Band Third year of service
    Level 2 £16,676 Lower Pay Band, £17,492 Higher Pay Band Second year of service
    Level 1 £16,227 Lower Pay Band, £16,227 Higher Pay Band First year of service
  10. Can we get that information Pinned to the newbie forum, it seems pretty handy information