Pay on entry to Dartmouth

At the first interview I had with my Area Liason Officer, he said that the Navy likes younger (i.e. People straight out of Sixth Form, pre-Uni) officers, purely for the reasons given above, I think that they are also trying to encourage this with the in-service degree. They have you for longer and can spend more time moving you around the service before you're past it, this is becoming more important in my view with the Government increasingly decreasing the size of the fleet, and therefore its workforce.

Funny how they forget all the work they do though, isn't it.

NearlyNavy

Midshipman
I'm abit of a special case (in many ways) I join BRNC in early September with a degree in mechanical engineering, however I went to school in Scotland untill i was 15 and so don't turn 21 until late september. I have been told different things by different people. I will be pretty gutted if I miss a years seiniority and get lower pay for the sake of a couple of weeks, especially considering i have been comitted since 17. In fact i would cry and people would laugh at me.

NearlyNavy

Midshipman
I have just managed to answer my own question. I didn`t like the answer. not even a little bit. As I am 21 days short of being 21 when I join I loose a years seniority and a lump of pay compaired to my mates joining at the same time. Means working on my degree for three years means jack sh*t. As I am already commited I was told applying for a defferal is a breach of contract. Wish they made this bullshit clear when i signed up. I did want a gap year but decided against it as I was in a hurry to get in the RN, might have well have.

Rant over.

Still looking forward to joining the best navy in the world, just a bit gutted about that.

Thanks for reading my winge.

capt-ahab

Lantern Swinger
Awh thats too bad NearlyNavy. Seems a shame to be so close to the cut off point but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere (not that it's gonna make you feel better)

Still, I guess the attitude to take now is that there's nothing you can do to change it so just gotta keep going! I'm sure it'll be the last thing on your mind once you're living it up (?) at the college. As you say, best Navy in the world - many people dont even get in so at least thats something to be happy for!

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Panic not Nearly Navy - in the grand scheme of things it won't affect the price of fish in the long run. I joined 9 days shy of 21 which meant doing an extra year as a Mid... its not fun being the Fleet Mid at the age of 23 when everyone else that age is almost a Lt.... Given the nature of the promotion process, its no bad thing to have youth and an extra bit of sea room as regards seniority.

You will find that with all things RN - there will be lines for everything, and someone will always be the wrong side of it...just wait til you are a Divisional Officer!!!

Enjoy BRNC - it may not be easy to at times!! - just come from two fantastic years on the staff - best job I have had in the mob and I wish you luck.

NearlyNavy

Midshipman
Cheers for that guys, I've had my tantrum now and it's not put me off. Like you say at least I can join at all! Nice to have somewhere to vent, feel better for that. Like an old timer once said to me

"If you cant take a joke you shouln't have joined."

Latest Threads