Pay on entry to BRNC

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by AnnaBanana, Oct 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm joining BRNC in january going into the warfare branch, as i'm 25 I know i won't be going in as a middie, but what is the pay like on entry?

Any help would be great thanks.

2. Its good to see that monetary issues are the last thing on your mind. You've been through AIB etc and you....oh hang it....NINJA!!
    NZB

3. The link did help thank you, but do you know if I would get this rate on entry to BRNC or on passing out at the end of the year?

Also do they take deductions for things like food and board?

4. Of course!

5. Ask your Liaison Officer what the typical take home is for Dartmouth YOs.

6. Thank god we still have those who wish to serve their country and worry over the money later. Warms ones heart.

7. And some of us are even taking a pay cut, we are not all bad.
    x

9. From personal experience (cf the 'Rank on Entry to BRNC' thread in this forum) I don't think age is now a factor with respect to your initial rank. I think it all boils down to whether you are a graduate or not; if you are then you enter as a S/Lt, if not then you enter as a Midshipman. I'm 24, and though I attended university I left towards the end of my third year without graduating. I've been told that this means entry as Mid.

Essentially, if you are a graduate then all is well, if not then it is perhaps something to watch out for.

10. So, although cash isn't why I'm joining, its just interesting, as I should be joining in January (my birthday month) will I get the 18 year old daily rate of pay until my 19th and it then go upto that of an age on entry pay of 19 years, or will it stay at £15,681 for the entire year?

11. Christ, where's a LWTR when you need one...?

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well it's Monday - so it must be 'Sports Make & Mend'! :wink:

13. Ok to change the direction of this thread slightly, in one of my periodic browses of the royal navy website I came across this

"Engineering Officers: If you are interested in a career as a Weapon Engineering Officer, Marine Engineering Officer or Air Engineer Officer and already hold an accredited engineering degree you may be eligible for a Golden Hello of up to £12,000. This is available to entrants who have not received a previous Armed Forces bursary, but includes those who commit to a 1 or 2 year bursary. Candidates need not necessarily have just graduated, as long as they meet the usual criteria for entry to BRNC"

My questions to you all are ...

1) May be eligible? is this a way of saying not many people will qualify for it.
    2) If you can get it, when would they pay it.
    3) Is the exclusion of Engineering Information Systems officers deliberate, or just one of the usual errors to be found on the RN Website.

14. this might help

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6415

15. anna,
    Sadly not joining you in jan now but i do believe deductions for food and accom is roughly £150 per month and on top will be about £100 for mess bills.

Hope that helps, see you about the college!

Nick

16. Subscribing?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Must admit until you pointed it out I'd not seen this particular aspect on the RN site.

My understanding is that Engineering Information Systems Officers are part of the Weapons Engineering trade.

It's difficult to establish from the website whether this particular sub-branch is included in the bonus scheme. My gut feeling is the omission by name is deliberate: ie there isn't a bounty.

It is a small branch with regard numbers employed & there appears to be little shortage of interested applicants - generally bounties as such are only offered in shortage categories.

The obvious (and I'm afraid boring) answer is contact the Officer Carers Liaison Officer at your local Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO).

Either way good luck & I'd be delighted to hear my assumption is incorrect.