Pay for University Graduates

JWARDY14

Sorry to ressurect this topic but it's better than making a new one asking the same questions, but can somebody just clarify this:

Non-Graduate Annual Basic Pay
Midshipman - £14,852
On passing out of BRNC - £23,475

Graduate Annual Basic Pay
Sub Lieutenant - £28,216 - £31,188

So during initial training BRNC a Graduate would have higher rank and higher pay?
After BRNC would a Non-Graduate be on £23,475 until increase to Lieutenant?

Also, during Warfare Officer common fleet time, would a Sub Lieutenant and Midshipman be essentially the same besides higher pay and rank... before increase to Lieutenant?

EDIT: Just seen this on the Rates of Pay PDF on royalnavy.mod.uk which mentions nothing about a degree:

Annual basic pay
Age on entry Royal Navy Royal Marines Salary (£)
18 Midshipman 2nd Lieutenant 15,681
19 Midshipman 2nd Lieutenant 17,111
20 Sub Lieutenant 2nd Lieutenant 20,095
21 Sub Lieutenant 2nd Lieutenant 22,680
n/a Sub Lieutenant (QARNNS) 27,260–28,698

(Apologies about the formatting...)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
JWARDY14 said:
Sorry to ressurect this topic but it's better than making a new one asking the same questions, but can somebody just clarify this:

Non-Graduate Annual Basic Pay
Midshipman - £14,852
On passing out of BRNC - £23,475

Graduate Annual Basic Pay
Sub Lieutenant - £28,216 - £31,188

So during initial training BRNC a Graduate would have higher rank and higher pay?
After BRNC would a Non-Graduate be on £23,475 until increase to Lieutenant?

Also, during Warfare Officer common fleet time, would a Sub Lieutenant and Midshipman be essentially the same besides higher pay and rank... before increase to Lieutenant?

EDIT: Just seen this on the Rates of Pay PDF on royalnavy.mod.uk which mentions nothing about a degree:

Annual basic pay
Age on entry Royal Navy Royal Marines Salary (£)
18 Midshipman 2nd Lieutenant 15,681
19 Midshipman 2nd Lieutenant 17,111
20 Sub Lieutenant 2nd Lieutenant 20,095
21 Sub Lieutenant 2nd Lieutenant 22,680
n/a Sub Lieutenant (QARNNS) 27,260–28,698

(Apologies about the formatting...)

I think you'll find the rates of pay you found are well out of date, age is no longer a consideration- qualifications are. The Current Rates of Pay can be downloaded here.

With regard rank upon joining & seniority, your ACLO is the best person to talk to, however this may assist:

Just to clarify Officer Seniority upon joining:

From 1 April 2007 a sliding scale of seniority based on Educational Qualifications was introduced. This scale is designed to reflect the more varied routes to a similar standard of qualification and is designed to widen the spread of applicants to the Naval Service. A summary of the scale is as follows:

Masters Degree or Equivalent Antedated Seniority 3.5 yrs
Graduate or equivalent 3 yrs
Foundation Degree or equivalent HNC or Equivalent 1 yr
Basic Entrant- GCSEs, GNVQ and A levels NIL

These rules apply to mainstream X,E,L and RM officers. Existing rules will apply to E(TM/IS) entrants where credits for degree class and work experience will apply.

ishmale89

Hi, just a bit of confusion i have about some of the pay descriptions on the Navy Careers Site.

As of yet I haven't decided what role I wish to apply for in the Navy, but I will be studying A public service management degree in september and wish to apply and also receive a bursary. I understand i will then become a member of the University Cadets or something (same as the army's UOTC and RAF's UAS) but what are these figures regarding here

University cadet entry (UCE)
First year £12,469
Second year £14,316
Third year £16,075
Fourth year £17,548

(source: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/MoD_Rates_Leaflet.pdf) (i.p. 2)

what is University Cadet Entry and what does it involve I have been searching for hours, Thanks for your time and future replies. :)

R077

MIA
ishmale89 said:
Hi, just a bit of confusion i have about some of the pay descriptions on the Navy Careers Site.

As of yet I haven't decided what role I wish to apply for in the Navy, but I will be studying A public service management degree in september and wish to apply and also receive a bursary. I understand i will then become a member of the University Cadets or something (same as the army's UOTC and RAF's UAS) but what are these figures regarding here

University cadet entry (UCE)
First year £12,469
Second year £14,316
Third year £16,075
Fourth year £17,548

(source: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/MoD_Rates_Leaflet.pdf) (i.p. 2)

what is University Cadet Entry and what does it involve I have been searching for hours, Thanks for your time and future replies. :)

Yar, google be your friend :D

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
University Cadetship

This scheme is for people who really want to get on in the Royal Navy and you will start university or college as an officer. You are paid a substantial salary for each year of your study:

* 1st year £11,337
* 2nd year £13,016
* 3rd year £14,615
* 4th year £15,954

You will complete one full year of Naval training before beginning your degree course. This consists of two terms at Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, and a period of time at sea.

Source: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/how-to-join/sponsorship/

You basically do the majority of your officer training before Uni then serve as a Lt during university. (I guess you have to study at a Uni with a URNU or even one of the DTUS Universities?) You then have to join the RN after Uni for a certain amount of time otherwise monies will be required to be paid back. This scheme isn't for everyone. I applied to do this same thing for the Army and I'm glad I backed out before signing on the dotted line because my 4 years at Uni have changed me a lot, and now I'm joining the RN.

The other option available to you is:

Standard Bursaries

Standard Bursaries are available to those wishing to join the Warfare, Logistics or Fleet Air Arm branches, to assist with the costs of studying any subject at any UK university. The bursary is currently worth £1,500 per year.

If you are considering either of these routes you can't go far wrong by making an appointment at an armed forces careers office, or even just walking in off the street. They don't bite, and walking through the door won't be the same as being slipped the kings shilling or being pressed for walking within 5 miles of a royal dockyard.

Ninja_Stoker said:
Welcome!

Gradute Officers start on £28,216 even if it's a non-vocational degree. Whoever said that was after training was incorrect.

Yep, madness I know!

The question is... Why don't graduate Ratings start on £28K if non-vocational degrees are accepted?

Sounds good. What do Post Graduate RATINGS get as starting pay? :razz: :drool:

Am I too young at 46 to join up? :biggrin:

PS: You do have a Wheelchair Operators Branch, don't you? :lol:

Latest Threads