Pay for DGE

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gregweal, Dec 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not clear about the pay for new YO's upon entry to Dartmouth. Do they start on reduced pay until later on in training?What do you enter on if you are Direct Graduate Entry?The website is still under construction so haven't been able to find out.

Thanks

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, noticed your queries on this and other subjects; are you sure you're joining BRNC in January? It seems you've either not done much preparation or your Selection process hasn't supported you satisfactorily.

:?

3. I have no idea either. There was never any literature offered during any stage of the selection process, and I never thought to ask about pay upon entry.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Rates of Pay are on the Royal Navy website & hard copies are usually given to every RN/RM applicant, unless they have gone out of print - often you will get asked the question "How much will you be paid" at interview.

Edited to add linky to revised rates of pay

5. That document is out of date now. As there is no seniority for age. It's all rated on academics.

Sub Lieutenant
    Masters or equivalent - 3.5 years seniority £28,697.76
    Graduate - 3 years seniority £28,697.76
    Foundation degree or equivalent - 2 years seniority - £27,980.88

Midshipman - £14,348.88 (until passing out of BRNC when pay becomes £22,680)
    HNC or equivalent - 1 year seniority
    GCSE's, GNVQ & A Levels - Nil

I hope that this sheds some light.

6. Ninja_Stoker

The RN website is obviously being maintained at the moment as the search function defaults to another "live search" which is not up & running yet.

Thanks for posting that New-Start, the MoD network will not permit that .pdf download, so unable to see what's posted-how odd! The hard copy I have of "Rates of Pay from 1 April 2007" reads the same as your figures. (Graduate Entry Annual Basic Pay from £27,260.04 to £28,697.76).

7. thanks guys, thanks very much. I had read those figures too, but Ive heard a lot of dif figures mentioned so i just thought id check

8. Ok, i got told different...

I have 3 Alevels and am 19 years old (20 in March) and am applying for FAA Pilot.

So i will be joining as a mid-shipman on a wage of £14,000.00 a year?

Not that money bother me too much, but i was definitley under the impression i would be earning more than that! Considering im earning more than £4K more than that at the moment its quite a big pay cut for noone to bother telling me about!!

Or i am mistaken?

9. Ninja_Stoker

Non-Graduate Annual Basic Pay is £14,348.88
    On passing out of BRNC, increasing to £22,680.

The information is freely available from your AFCO, I'm sure if you asked, they would be delighted to assist- if you don't ask, it would be assumed you already knew.

Flying pay ranges from £4,728 on qualifying to a maximum of £15,009.

10. When i asked in March and again in the summer i was told (can't remember exact figures) because of my age i would probably be getting around £16/17K! Obviously something has changed, i understand it doesnt go on age anymore.

However, i would have liked someone to have told me, why would i expect my rate of pay to change, its not like i look at the rate of pay every week. Surely its my AFCOs responsibility to tell me?

Whatever, its done now. Nothing is going to change now is it. Im just anoyed as now my outgoings are going to be more than my income so i think im going to have a problem.

Great more stuff going on in my head. As if i havn't got enough to worry about with AIB on Monday.

11. If this is true then I doubt the RN will let you join up. There was a chap on RR a few months back that was in a similar situation (couldn't afford house...etc) and was told he could not join. It might be worth checking before you bother with the AIB...etc.

Besides, once training is over you will be earning more, and doing a much more exciting and fulfilling job than Joe-civilian.

12. I can reduce my outgoings easily, by moving back home. Will have to kick boyf out the flat too though!

13. Or get a less costly flat and stop spending all your money on shoes and cheap men. ;-p

Don't worry about the AIB... you will be fine. PM me if you need any advice.

14. Ninja_Stoker

As a rough rule of thumb, your outgoings should be less than half your net income, if your net outgoings are in excess of £800 per month as you allude, you would definitely have a problem regardless. Gross income is listed on the Rates of Pay form given to candidates.

Perhaps you should discuss with your ACLO your perceived change in income before you attend AIB so you are under no illusions.

Just to clarify Officer Seniority upon joining:

From 1 April 2007 a sliding scale of seniority based on Educational Qualifications was introduced. This scale is designed to reflect the more varied routes to a similar standard of qualification and is designed to widen the spread of applicants to the Naval Service. A summary of the scale is as follows:

Masters Degree or Equivalent Antedated Seniority 3.5 yrs
    Graduate or equivalent 3 yrs
    Foundation Degree or equivalent HNC or Equivalent 1 yr
    Basic Entrant- GCSEs, GNVQ and A levels NIL

These rules apply to mainstream X,E,L and RM officers. Existing rules will apply to E(TM/IS) entrants where credits for degree class and work experience will apply. UY/CC ENTRANTS.

UY/CC entrants are likely to hold only the minimum officer entry qualifications but most join BRNC/CTCRM over the age of 21. Under current rules these UY/CCs join with 3 years seniority (Sub Lt + 1 Year). Unless special provision for UY/CCs was made, under the above rules based purely on Educational Qualifications, they would gain no antedated seniority having to join as Midshipman with no account taken of their previous Naval Service experience. UY/CCs will therefore be awarded up to 3 years seniority based on their experience since the age of 18 in recognition of their service as a former Rating/Other rank. No additional seniority based on educational qualifications will be made.

Full years of service as rating since age of18 Rank/seniority – RN Rank (on entry) -RM Rank/seniority – RM after completion of Phase 2 training
    Less than 1 year Mid 2LT Lt
    1 year Mid with 1 years seniority 2LT Lt with 1 years seniority
    2 years S/Lt 2LT Lt with 2 years seniority
    3 years S/Lt 2LT Captain

PAY OF NEW ENTRANTS

The introduction of JPA in November 2006 enabled the pay of new officer entrants to be harmonised across all 3 Armed Forces bringing the RN pay system into line with the Army and Royal Air Force. The main difference in the pay system is that non graduates will enter on a lower starting salary than graduates until they complete their initial officer training. From 1 April 2007 all non graduates join on OF1 Level 1 - £14349 pa until moving to OF1 Level 5 - £22680 on completing Initial Officer Training (on leaving Dartmouth or CTC Lympstone). They will then progress through the pay range by annual increments. On promotion to Sub Lieutenant they move to OF1 Level 6 - £27260.

Graduates join on OF1 Level 7 – £27981 depending on qualifications and then progress through the pay range by annual increments.

Good Luck

15. Ha good point Sara 21, but you should see flat/house prices over here. Worse than Central London!!

I think moving home is the best idea. That will cut my outgoings to basically nothing (other than shoes/clothes as Sara21 pointed out!) also going to ring my ACLO tomorrow.

Thanks for help guys.

16. The pay was different in March, it was age based 18,19 (join as Midshipman) and 20, 21, 22 + Grads etc (as Sub Lieutenants).
    Unlucky for everyone that has been hanging on since an earlier entry date (that got postponed)...yours truly!

It all seems to even out in the end though.

17. Ninja_Stoker

On the Royal Marines Website, they have the new, super-duper Rates of Pay which should clarify any questions arising with regard income on joining.

18. Reckon you get extra pay for being a qualified Skydiver?
    That would come in handy...!!

19. Ninja_Stoker

Nat,

As you've passed FATs already, one sincerely hopes you don't intend skydiving if you pass AIB & are in the "driving seat"

Good luck with AIB next week! :thumright: