Pay Bands

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chester, Sep 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I've tried a search on this but to no avail. when looking at the pay bands for ratings, I note that there is a "Higher Spine" and a "Lower Spine", could someone please explain what these represent and how you come to be on one or the other?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ooh, here's a thread good for a bite :wink:

Don't start me on this load of bull, suffice to say if it was a good idea, Officers would have higher and lower pay bands also.

In short, they don't but doubtless an Officer will kindly oblige by telling us all why it exists, which branches are on what spine & why that is for each rank.

Funnily enough, it's not mentioned in any careers publication including Rates of Pay. Can't think why that may be... because surely applicants need to know which job pays more before they join?
  3. Uh oh! Seems I've unwittingly asked a sensitive one! Just curious as my son has just joined phase I (branch AET) so very much in learning what's what mode. As you confirm Ninja, couldn't find any published explanation.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

My apologies , welcome to the site. An understandable query.

AETs are on the lower pay spine until they reach Leading Rate.

Their RAF equivalent are on the higher pay-spine, but require GCSE's whereas AET's don't.
  5. Im sure that this thread will explode soon with the dripping and manking why some are low and some are high etc etc! Watch this space.
  6. Thanks a lot Ninja very helpful!
  7. The harder you work, the more pay you get.

*zig-zags out of the room at the crouch.*
  8. Well us old bastards are used to these pay differentials, how do you recon we felt when the pay even discriminated between married and single ratings prior to 1971.
    Please don't tell me the military salary was introduced in 1970 because the effect was not apparent until April '71, except married men got the rise from April'70.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Target to starboard, bearing Zero Three Zero, range 4 metres, low on the horizon, clear blind, clear visual, Command Approved, Engage....
  10. Presumably the ability for your Fire order to be delivered in a timely manner depends on the skills of more experienced (and thus deservedly better paid) members of the crew? :D
  11. Pick ya branch take a chance!
  12. So these Pay Spines have nothing to do with backpay after all 8O
  13. Rules of engagement?
    Bloody hell in Aden it was thus:- As taught by a psychopathic colour sergeant from the booties. "See a suspect target,.. challenge if in outer section of wire,... if in inner section..... search your heart, search your mind, one round, shoot to kill fire. Reload",......
  14. Is that still the same with the RAF recruiting AMM's now rather than traded personnel? An AMM has to do a few years kicking tyres before they go back and and carry out further training. :?
    After running the line on a RAF squadron, i belive the training AMM's get is not that good untill they go back to Cosford. :?
  15. Pay Bands in the RN? I'm sure the Exocet that took out the Chefs (and of course others ) onboard HMS SHEFFIELD in the Falklands couldn't differentiate between the pay bands.

Yes I know there was no pay-banding then but you know what I'm getting at.......

All of one company!
  16. Ninja_Stoker

RAF Aircraft Maintenance Mechanics (AV & Mechanical) are indeed on the higher pay spine throughout their career, so I'm advised.
  17. Hmmm pay bands. I think it works differently depending on what job you're doing.

I just qualified as a AB Submariner, so I'm now on 28k a year and got a £5000 golden hello upon passing my Submarine Qualification. I'm on about 16-17k 'basic' pay then I get the extra 5k from my Submariner pay which is about £450 extra a month. I also get £320 a month get you home pay for having a property which is roughly another £3000 a year (bearing in mind an average of 3 months sea time a year where you don't get the Get You Home Pay).
  18. ...which has nothing whatsoever to do with pay bands.
  19. Skimmer?

20. What does skimmer have anything to do with it? Submariners pay is aditional to the payband structure.

Which is higher and lower paybands which is trade dependant not whether your a submariner or not.

Not the brightest tool in the underwater tin it seems