Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrols on Bombers

pingbosun72

Badgeman
Nutty said:
pingbosun72 said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!

When you say "proper" boats...do you mean the ones that dont need to surface to charge the batteries every dog-watch, the ones that "submerge" and stay "submerged" until patrol/sneaky/mystery tour is over, or the stinky old outdated monstrosities that used to have guards welded over the main vents and used as target practice, whilst travelling round the coast on yet another smelly jolly...LOL... :p :pukeleft:
Nutty

Yes the same as the smelly Russion built Kilo Class called Orzel manned by the Polish Navy who about 5 years ago was matched against HMS Trafalgar, pride of the RN in a RN organised exercise. Score; Orzel 4 Trafalger 0. Yes them smelly D/E boats that now they have AIP can stay dived for 30 days or more without snorting.Nutty[/quote]

Nutty[/quote]

pingbosun72

Badgeman
:oops: 8)
pingbosun72 said:
Nutty said:
pingbosun72 said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!

When you say "proper" boats...do you mean the ones that dont need to surface to charge the batteries every dog-watch, the ones that "submerge" and stay "submerged" until patrol/sneaky/mystery tour is over, or the stinky old outdated monstrosities that used to have guards welded over the main vents and used as target practice, whilst travelling round the coast on yet another smelly jolly...LOL... :p :pukeleft:
Nutty

Yes the same as the smelly Russion built Kilo Class called Orzel manned by the Polish Navy who about 5 years ago was matched against HMS Trafalgar, pride of the RN in a RN organised exercise. Score; Orzel 4 Trafalger 0. Yes them smelly D/E boats that now they have AIP can stay dived for 30 days or more without snorting.Nutty

Nutty[/quote][/quote]

"FOOK ME Nutty" 30 days,we did another 60 before we came up ,even spent a week under the ice cap , one of your old "Untrue" submersibles couldnt do that could it, would have scratched your snort induction and exhaust masts on the bottom of the ice...LOL :lol: Anyway now that Ive made you bite I will give up , I loved my time on O boats , which was very short , only got on them when I was SM2 spare crew...we are all buddies on boats , and the "Banter" is good!!! 8) Going deep...

OOPs , and Ive done something wrong trying to quote....should have been a ROSM.. :oops:

While we are biting, old T boats the DE type plus A's P's and O's did 90 day patrols tup North only coming up to snort from the late 50's.

One German U Boat completed a patrol 200 days approx meeting only other boats to obtain fuel or more fish and once a Merchant supply ship that wa soon after wiped up by surface units. All this time been hunted often to death by a well organised and trained by then AS Force that did for over 30,000 men of the 50,000 that joined U Boats. Now thats what you call a patrol not 90 days with all that fresh water, fridges, freezers, steak nights and nobody trying very hard to kill you.

Nutty

PS you are safer under the ice because no surface or air unit can drop nasty thigs on you. Nookey Poos/cruise liners not a lot of difference.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I seem to have read a book ages ago about a U-boat that escaped to Argentina(?) at the end of the war - don't know how long it spent submerged though. The number U-677just popped up in my mind but the chance of that beiong right are small.

pingbosun72

Badgeman
Nutty said:
janner said:

And if you would like to pop along here

http://www.uboat.net/men/kentrat.htm

On the same site it will give you all the detals of U196 who completed a 225 day patrol. That is 7.5 months at 30 days a month. Not touching land between 13th March 1943 and 23 October 1943. All while people were tyrying very very hard to kill you.

What would H & S say about that.

Nutty

Good site Nutty , makes you think dont it, they never whinged , just got on with it , the old film Das Boot comes to mind looking at that site.....good history , is there anything like that site for British submariners ?

Polycell

War Hero
BARNEYRNSM said:
until I went bombers I always wondered why flunobs wore sewing kits,turned out they were TLDs et al!!!!
Sorry please explain, wots a flunob?
Wots a TLD?
And why would someone wear a 'sewing kit'? ie has he a housewife on his head? We got issued with a housewife, do they still?
Still hate bombers1

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
TLDs are used to detect radiation in event of leak or working down the pot for a long time cant remember what the TL stands for but D is device! They just look like little plastic sewing kits

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
notafourknotfudgepacker said:
Thermo Luminescent Dosimeter - not worn one for a little while but never struck me as looking like a Sewing Kit ???

Wore them on boats all the time, but also wore them on GS when part of ship was high power radar, ie 965 and 992.

But I had a separate sewing kit and a housewife!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Joint boat patrols target illegal fishing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement: access restrictions on OSCE Special Monitoring Mission patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS French patrols doubled to tackle migrant crossings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: HMS Liverpool's 100th day of patrols off Libya Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Navy Forced To Drop Warship Patrols In Caribbean Through Lack Of Funds" The Fleet 25
soleil T'graph: Continuous Nuclear Submarine Patrols Not Guaranteed Submariners 4
Handler RN to resume Boarding patrols Current Affairs 7
Sumo How will this effect Bombers and Fastlane? Current Affairs 6
G Bombers/Hunter Killers Submariners 21
D Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
fishhead Bombers.....................the end?????????? Submariners 3
witsend Bombers Submariners 16
soleil Mail: "Dramatic Moment As RN Warship Opens Fire On Speedboat 'Suicide Bombers'" The Fleet 10
The_Caretaker Bombers Land Ops 0
soleil Mail: "Kremlin taunting Britain with Blackjack Bombers" Current Affairs 1
WhizzbangDai Shared Bombers with ze French! The Quarterdeck 7
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 4
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 15
Maxi_77 50 years of Bombers Submariners 22
T How Al Qaeda recruit suicide bombers Diamond Lil's 8
slim 7/7 bombers 'used charity cash' Current Affairs 4
wet_blobby Female suicide Bombers Diamond Lil's 9
slim One in 11 British Muslims backs suicide bombers, says Brown Diamond Lil's 1
Oil_Slick Glasgow Bombers named… Diamond Lil's 14
N Bombers to Music ! Submariners 2
N Only 3 New Bombers to be built ?? Submariners 1