Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrols on Bombers

I live in Helensburgh, not on churchill estate, and yup it's beautiful. Loads of places to go and visit. Edinburgh's not far away and i agree with bawsack on alot of what he says.

My problem is just a personal one, I'm a city girl, i'm not used to living in a small town and having to travel for decent services. Helensburgh town centre leaves alot to be desired in my opinion but that's just what i've been used to till we came here.

Loads of people love it and i'm now coming round to the fact that we'll be here quite a while now (unless we win the lottery, lol!)

It is what you make of it!
 
Churchill isnt all that bad, infact I think its quite nice and like these houses over Colgrain, alhtough some neighbours would be nice :w00t:

God I was expecting a move to somewhere off crime watch from what I was told and infact there has been no problems, yeah bit of window braking of empty houses but that happens everywhere. Personally I would rather they brake empty houses windows then mine.

The only problem is that there are so few people here (I think housing guy said 60%+ empty) but that will change with new boats coming up here and so on.

Its a great place to live and bring up a family, glasgow only 45mins and £3.60 return with a railcard and loch lomond ten mins away.

Enjoy....oh and I say this with it hailing at the moment...my washing WAS dry
 
Was on Repulse (port) when she took the record so cant claim to be one of the 5000 odd that were on Reso.
Then had the privilage (just my luck) to do the longest Vboat patrol last year...if only we'd stayed out for a couple more weeks for the longest dived submarine ...oh then again NO! it was good to get back for crimbo
 

Polycell

War Hero
Nutty said:
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
May I ask a question, is that 12 weeks at sea i.e. gangway gone and little if any land in sight or is that when they are on crew and start watch keeping and load missiles and then unload at the end?

I have found the modern navy rather put a spin on some of its alledged sea time and patrol times that I am a bit cynical.

Nutty

On crew is generally around the 5-month mark, although this can (and often is) longer. Throughout the on crew period the SWS lads watch keep variations of 1 in 3. This may be a straight 12 hours on 24 hours off, or other permutations. A patrol is generally 12 weeks long, as in dive then surface 12 weeks later. You’re allowed 2 x40 word family grams per week and you receive censored news every day, but it’s all one-way traffic. Hope this helps?

:dwarf:

Fanks everything I asked. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Well na ninny na na Revenge 72 Christmas patrol was from 14 November 72 till 4 February 73 oh what fun that was!! Thank god I had the sense to join O boats on my return!!!
 

lsadirty

War Hero
Does anyone doubt whether I made the right move and missing the Xmas and New Year patrol 1968/9 and ending up on an SM 3 SSN for the next 4 years ? I certainly don't... Greetings, oh Fred of the West.

JB
 

Polycell

War Hero
lsadirty said:
Does anyone doubt whether I made the right move and missing the Xmas and New Year patrol 1968/9 and ending up on an SM 3 SSN for the next 4 years ? I certainly don't... Greetings, oh Fred of the West.

JB
Course you did JD course you did
 

2153alan

Newbie
I cant claim to be on any of the longest patrolsbut did plenty. But my claim is that I was on Revenge and we kept reso out for her record breaking patrol in length and members of crew that it took with it 4 to 5000 at last count. Revenge was the work horse in late eighties and early nineties.
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
2153alan said:
I cant claim to be on any of the longest patrolsbut did plenty. But my claim is that I was on Revenge and we kept reso out for her record breaking patrol in length and members of crew that it took with it 4 to 5000 at last count. Revenge was the work horse in late eighties and early nineties.

Please don't mention trouser legs. I was port crew, Bryan Adams just goes No1 and gets booted off the top as we returned. That makes me 5001.

Edit...... Please don't mention trouser legs. I was Revenge (might have been Renown) port crew, Bryan Adams just goes No1 and gets booted off the top as we returned.
 

RonJeremy

Banned
witsend said:
2153alan said:
I cant claim to be on any of the longest patrolsbut did plenty. But my claim is that I was on Revenge and we kept reso out for her record breaking patrol in length and members of crew that it took with it 4 to 5000 at last count. Revenge was the work horse in late eighties and early nineties.

Please don't mention trouser legs. I was port crew, Bryan Adams just goes No1 and gets booted off the top as we returned. That makes me 5001.



Hey Witsend, I was an AB dabber on that Reso (Port)patrol (Aug 90-Dec 90) and have actually sat on on a V boat in the mess and listened to a lying SWS fag bullshitting baby OM's about how shit it was when I know for a fact he wasn't even on it! Lol! Also had the good fortune to be the ******* CHOPS(S) on the longest V boat patrol patrol at the end of 2007 aswell (103 days and not as long as the R Boat one) Guess I'm just a lucky cnut!!...interested to know you're real name. Can u PM me it if you wanna remain anonymous?
 

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
RonJeremy said:
witsend said:
2153alan said:
I cant claim to be on any of the longest patrolsbut did plenty. But my claim is that I was on Revenge and we kept reso out for her record breaking patrol in length and members of crew that it took with it 4 to 5000 at last count. Revenge was the work horse in late eighties and early nineties.

Please don't mention trouser legs. I was port crew, Bryan Adams just goes No1 and gets booted off the top as we returned. That makes me 5001.



Hey Witsend, I was an AB dabber on that Reso (Port)patrol (Aug 90-Dec 90) and have actually sat on on a V boat in the mess and listened to a lying SWS fag bullshitting baby OM's about how shit it was when I know for a fact he wasn't even on it! Lol! Also had the good fortune to be the * CHOPS(S) on the longest V boat patrol patrol at the end of 2007 aswell (103 days and not as long as the R Boat one) Guess I'm just a lucky cnut!!...interested to know you're real name. Can u PM me it if you wanna remain anonymous?

Hello Ron, I never served on Reso. Some long patrols on Revenge (port) & Renown (? then gold). On further reading of what I wrote I apologize if I mislead you or any others into thinking I did serve on Reso. I seemed to misread the post I quoted. I shall edit it.

witsendhatesBryanAdamseverythingIdoRN
 

Dicky

Lantern Swinger
Bomber queens only became tearful when the ice cream tub was empty. Said by an ex member of the famgram post office !!
 

dingerbell

Lantern Swinger
any of you old farts who were on bombers 60's 70's especially renown port first commish or revenge(aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)73ish pm me and let me know if we knew each other back then.
I must just add I thought all them fcuckink patrols were record breakers because they all seemed to go on forever and ever. Mind you I became a fairly good uc. in them days If I wasn't in the galley the soundroom was my favourite place, that sonar stuff fascinated me and all the sounds of beasties and things swimmin around ammused me for ages

UP SPIRITS.............................SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :D
 

Polycell

War Hero
Revenge starboard crew 1971 to refit in 74 any good?
Hated the bloody thing worst boat I'd served on shower of prima donnas and muppets.
Never saw a stoker with shiny steaming 'bats' before Revenge or since, an ice cream machine that dished out strawberry flavoured chocolate coloured ice cream, clankys that got weekends at sea etc.
Was I glad to get back to Dolphin, SM1 and diesel boats!!
 

pingbosun72

Badgeman
The "Proper" patrols were done by the select SSN crews that got "Up Close & Personal" with the Ruskies, Sneaky boats did long ones too, but only had one crew....
 

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!
 

dingerbell

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
Revenge starboard crew 1971 to refit in 74 any good?
Hated the bloody thing worst boat I'd served on shower of prima donnas and muppets.
Never saw a stoker with shiny steaming 'bats' before Revenge or since, an ice cream machine that dished out strawberry flavoured chocolate coloured ice cream, clankys that got weekends at sea etc.
Was I glad to get back to Dolphin, SM1 and diesel boats!!

I had the grave misfortune to be on the fcucker(PORT CREW)73/74ish can't remember exact dates(don't want to either)T he worst bunch of wankmonkeys I ever served with,I THINK MOST OF THEM WERE ARSELICKS AND PRIMA DONA'S. both crews must have come from the same gene pool. There was a few good hands on there but most were shite.,got the best draft ever after that though, WARSPITE second time round even better than the first. Came off there 76 and went back to fassers spare crew for a couple of good years.


UP SPIRITS............SPLICEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!!!!! :x
 

pingbosun72

Badgeman
BARNEYRNSM said:
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!


When you say "proper" boats...do you mean the ones that dont need to surface to charge the batteries every dog-watch, the ones that "submerge" and stay "submerged" until patrol/sneaky/mystery tour is over, or the stinky old outdated monstrosities that used to have guards welded over the main vents and used as target practice, whilst travelling round the coast on yet another smelly jolly...LOL... :p :pukeleft:
 
pingbosun72 said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!


When you say "proper" boats...do you mean the ones that dont need to surface to charge the batteries every dog-watch, the ones that "submerge" and stay "submerged" until patrol/sneaky/mystery tour is over, or the stinky old outdated monstrosities that used to have guards welded over the main vents and used as target practice, whilst travelling round the coast on yet another smelly jolly...LOL... :p :pukeleft:

Fair one :D
 
pingbosun72 said:
BARNEYRNSM said:
proper boats being Oboats that never suffered with trouser leg problems and ended up doing all the flunob running!


When you say "proper" boats...do you mean the ones that dont need to surface to charge the batteries every dog-watch, the ones that "submerge" and stay "submerged" until patrol/sneaky/mystery tour is over, or the stinky old outdated monstrosities that used to have guards welded over the main vents and used as target practice, whilst travelling round the coast on yet another smelly jolly...LOL... :p :pukeleft:

Yes the same as the smelly Russion built Kilo Class called Orzel manned by the Polish Navy who about 5 years ago was matched against HMS Trafalgar, pride of the RN in a RN organised exercise. Score; Orzel 4 Trafalger 0. Yes them smelly D/E boats that now they have AIP can stay dived for 30 days or more without snorting.

Nutty
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Joint boat patrols target illegal fishing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement: access restrictions on OSCE Special Monitoring Mission patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS French patrols doubled to tackle migrant crossings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: HMS Liverpool's 100th day of patrols off Libya Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Navy Forced To Drop Warship Patrols In Caribbean Through Lack Of Funds" The Fleet 25
soleil T'graph: Continuous Nuclear Submarine Patrols Not Guaranteed Submariners 4
Handler RN to resume Boarding patrols Current Affairs 7
Sumo How will this effect Bombers and Fastlane? Current Affairs 6
G Bombers/Hunter Killers Submariners 21
D Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
fishhead Bombers.....................the end?????????? Submariners 3
witsend Bombers Submariners 16
soleil Mail: "Dramatic Moment As RN Warship Opens Fire On Speedboat 'Suicide Bombers'" The Fleet 10
The_Caretaker Bombers Land Ops 0
soleil Mail: "Kremlin taunting Britain with Blackjack Bombers" Current Affairs 1
WhizzbangDai Shared Bombers with ze French! The Quarterdeck 7
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 4
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 15
Maxi_77 50 years of Bombers Submariners 22
T How Al Qaeda recruit suicide bombers Diamond Lil's 8
slim 7/7 bombers 'used charity cash' Current Affairs 4
wet_blobby Female suicide Bombers Diamond Lil's 9
slim One in 11 British Muslims backs suicide bombers, says Brown Diamond Lil's 1
Oil_Slick Glasgow Bombers named… Diamond Lil's 14
N Bombers to Music ! Submariners 2
N Only 3 New Bombers to be built ?? Submariners 1
Similar threads





























Latest Threads

New Posts

Top