Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrols on Bombers

MESM

Midshipman
MrsElvis said:
x4, familygrams have changed now it's two 60 or 1 120 word a week.
Those things are a feckin nightmare though, i can never think what to write (instructions were no weather or sport, they get sports news). How many times can i say "miss you, kids miss you, everything fine" without sounding bloomin daft![/quote

You don,t know sport anyway as i reckon you like everton.

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
MrsElvis said:
x4, familygrams have changed now it's two 60 or 1 120 word a week.
Those things are a feckin nightmare though, i can never think what to write (instructions were no weather or sport, they get sports news). How many times can i say "miss you, kids miss you, everything fine" without sounding bloomin daft!

Let him know if the Ikea sofas are still safe.

:thumright:

Tritech said:
Now now Nicks, we are all part of one department. SWS. There's no point being jealous of others in the dept who have a better job. You pick your branch and take your chance as is so often said. ;P

Me...............Jealous......................Never !!!!!!!!!!!!!

lsadirty

War Hero
Only did one patrol on the nuclear detergent (the very first in 68), and found it so unbelievably BORING: just stooging around, and nothing ever happened ! Mind you, a skipper who did rounds every week in a compartment Monday to Friday, missile evolution on Saturday, Church service on Sunday. Chuck in evolutions 1700 daily, and 2 and 1 grog, you can see why first chance to get off came, I took it.
SM 3 and SM 2, sneaky running, NATO shoot'em ups - now that was fun. Herr Indoors didn't like Faslane, so went back to Guzz. Do I miss it ? Yep, but not the POLARIS segment.

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nicks said:
edd1234567890 said:
Life was great as a Nav Queen, MC and downstairs was total shite 12hr shifts are arse long live the Nav Centre.

Typical first posting for a Nav Queen !
Wont see or hear from him again til the end of Patrol as normal :thumright:

hahaha,,,,remember being on patrol early 90's, 5 weeks into the patrol, walking along 2 deck and passing some bloke, says hello, and thinks to myself "who the f*uck is that".

ps. what was the name of the missile mary who used to make dresses on patrol?

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger
If he was an SWS rating then chances are as well as making them he probably wore them in the MCC quite often.

Bawsack said:
If he was an SWS rating then chances are as well as making them he probably wore them in the MCC quite often.

Thats slander you know :thumright:

Anyway we all looked better in lycra for WSRT's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Bawsack said:
Im sure one of the V boats beat the old record recently.

One sure did. Off the top of my head I can't remember how many days/weeks, but it took the record.

:dwarf:

the_robmeister

Midshipman
To those that have served on both, is choosing the V boats over T or S an ok choice or would it be a mistake? Im currently in Raleigh and have chosen the V boat option but recently have heard of a few people saying that SSNs are a great life, and SSBNs are a rubbish life. Anyone have any opinions? :thanks:

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
the_robmeister said:
To those that have served on both, is choosing the V boats over T or S an ok choice or would it be a mistake? Im currently in Raleigh and have chosen the V boat option but recently have heard of a few people saying that SSNs are a great life, and SSBNs are a rubbish life. Anyone have any opinions? :thanks:

Opinions are like rusty bullet holes, everybody’s got one. There are pros and cons to each way of life. Unless you’re WE and end up SWS, serving on an SSBN doesn’t mean you’ll never end up on an SSN.

I've never served on an SSN, does an SSK count?

Shocks_to_Launch

Midshipman
ps. what was the name of the missile mary who used to make dresses on patrol?

Alex

Used to be in the same mess as him in HMS Cochrane when Repulse was in refit - always wore black - VVV strange lad but had a great collection of girlie phots. Never made above Killick i think.

the_robmeister

Midshipman
thanks for teh reply xn4d.
I am going to be a WE so hopefully have made the right choice if im stuck with it ^_^;

p.s. if you have time, would you mind listing a couple of pros and cons of each, just so i have more infomation to make the right decision

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
the_robmeister said:
thanks for teh reply xn4d.
I am going to be a WE so hopefully have made the right choice if im stuck with it ^_^;

p.s. if you have time, would you mind listing a couple of pros and cons of each, just so i have more infomation to make the right decision

If you’re WE, you may not have any choice, you may end up SWS.

SSN – Potentially very unpredictable running. 5th watch helps, but you could potentially do 3 months away from base port, a week in then back out for another 3 months. Things can change at very short notice. In your time away you’ll probably get to see some of the world. When away, depending on where you are and what you’re doing, you have two way contact with home. As a young, free, single man, you may prefer this lifestyle.

SSBN – Life is generally more predictable, although of late things have been less predictable than once they were. You have limited, one way contact with home for the duration of the patrol (around the 3 month mark). If you’re SWS you can pretty much guarantee spending the majority of your career (stand fast LOP(R) boats in Plymouth) in Faslane. There’s not much chance of seeing the world. You mostly spend your time on patrol “hiding†from everybody else. As a family man you may prefer this life style.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in SSKs, but wouldn’t wish to return to this lifestyle. It’s very much horses for courses. One mans pro is another mans con.

MESM, i don't "do" everton but mrelvis does!

Yes the record for a patrol on SSBN was recently broken unfortunately for the blokes on board

As for ending up in Fasser's on V boats, give a few more years and whatever boat you pick you'll end up here (unless scots get total independance) as they are all coming here, god help your poor souls, from a southerner in scotland.

the_robmeister

Midshipman
thats great x4nd, thanks.
Still doesnt seem to be many pluses for going V boats :frustrated:
Although im not sure i like the idea of going away for upto nine months on a T boat.

Out of interest, what is life like in Faslane?

Bawsack

Lantern Swinger
Im from a place Dahn Saff called Chichester, I am now living in Balloch and have been here since 1991, the place isnt all that bad and IMO the majority of the people who hate the area all live on Churchill.

Faslane itself if nothing special, at the minute its a big building site getting ready for the 'A' boats.

Helensburgh is a typical Scottish sea side town, again nothing special.

Glasgow is 30 minutes away in a car 45 minutes in a train, it is a cracking place for a night out and for shopping. You will hear horror stories about it, but is no different to any big city.

Going out of the base to the other side you have the hills which are great for hillwalking and all other sorts of activities. Loch Lomond is a ten minute drive away from the base and is stunning(one of the reasons i moved to Balloch)

If you choose to sit and fester in the base or mope around Churchill you will get nothing out of the area, if you make the most of it then IMO you will enjoy it as much as I and many others have.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Joint boat patrols target illegal fishing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement: access restrictions on OSCE Special Monitoring Mission patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS French patrols doubled to tackle migrant crossings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS IN PICTURES: HMS Liverpool's 100th day of patrols off Libya Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Navy Forced To Drop Warship Patrols In Caribbean Through Lack Of Funds" The Fleet 25
soleil T'graph: Continuous Nuclear Submarine Patrols Not Guaranteed Submariners 4
Handler RN to resume Boarding patrols Current Affairs 7
Sumo How will this effect Bombers and Fastlane? Current Affairs 6
G Bombers/Hunter Killers Submariners 21
D Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK fighter jets intercept Russian bombers approaching UK airspace MoD News 0
fishhead Bombers.....................the end?????????? Submariners 3
witsend Bombers Submariners 16
soleil Mail: "Dramatic Moment As RN Warship Opens Fire On Speedboat 'Suicide Bombers'" The Fleet 10
The_Caretaker Bombers Land Ops 0
soleil Mail: "Kremlin taunting Britain with Blackjack Bombers" Current Affairs 1
WhizzbangDai Shared Bombers with ze French! The Quarterdeck 7
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 4
O Bombers or T/A-Boats? Submariners 15
Maxi_77 50 years of Bombers Submariners 22
T How Al Qaeda recruit suicide bombers Diamond Lil's 8
slim 7/7 bombers 'used charity cash' Current Affairs 4
wet_blobby Female suicide Bombers Diamond Lil's 9
slim One in 11 British Muslims backs suicide bombers, says Brown Diamond Lil's 1
Oil_Slick Glasgow Bombers named… Diamond Lil's 14
N Bombers to Music ! Submariners 2
N Only 3 New Bombers to be built ?? Submariners 1