Paternity

Hi, my son in law has just started phase 2. My daughter, his partner, is due a baby in 5weeks. He has been told he will only get 4 days of at the birth or take 2 weeks and be back classed for a year n half. Not much of a choice or very fair. Anyone tell me why. I have an upset daughter thanks x

This is one that needs to be discussed by him to his Divisional Officer within HMS Sultan. He is correct that he is entitled to 2 weeks paternity. However the way his training pipeline works, is that he is loaded on a course that lasts a certain time at Sultan, before moving on to the next phase at Raleigh for Submarine training and then Wet Phase on a boat. I don't think he would be back classed 18 months, I believe he would be back classed to the next ME SM phase 2 course that has space for him.

Without knowing the specifics it's hard to tell.

Just for info digger, ET(MESM) don't go to Raleigh for SM training, they go to Drake or Neptune but you are correct about seeing his DO, or even the bish.

What the staff may have said is it may take 18months before he's in a position to get his dolphins if he gets backclassed.

People only tend to hear what they want to hear in these situations.

He may be on the UGAS scheme. I don’t have the specific details to hand, but it’s a more intricate and longer training pipeline with a number of milestones that need to be passed. I could imagine that leading to a longer than might be expected time to wait to rejoin training.

It may even be as simple as a lack of spaces on following courses.
I would get him to clarify the reason for the long wait.

Is it fair? Well he’s not being denied his paternity leave, and if he chooses to take it then unfortunately he will have to wait for the next available course. It would be unreasonable to expect him to be able to have a course created just for him, or to expect someone else to be bumped from a course because of him - so I would say he has a difficult decision to make and one that needs careful consideration, but that it’s unfortunate rather than unfair.

If he was being denied leave (leaving aside the legal implications) or being held back from restarting training unnecessarily that would be unfair.

slim

War Hero
In my day there was no such thing as paternity leave.
As the RN used to state.
The shipyard worker is only needed for the build. He does not have to attend the Launch!

My youngest was born when I was in the middle of a 9 month deployment. My boss would not agree to letting me go home prior to the birth (even though precedence was made by HM's second son when he was out on a ship in Far East).

Unfortunately, a couple of weeks before my son was born, my brother was killed in an accident so I was flown home on compassionate leave.
I stayed home for the birth but flew back to the ship 6 days afterwards. Returned to the UK 3 1/2 months later.
We also have another son who was 2 at the time - hard times for Mrs Taztiff whilst I was away but youngest wasn't affected by me being away, (in fact he has just started LETWE course in Collingwood!)

As said, no paternity leave in those days but the precedence set by Prince A also extended to cost of flights being mostly borne by MOD - I think it was approx. £100 return to / from anywhere. (No cost to me though because of the compassionate nature / welfare case).

I would imagine that there is a distinct lack of imagination being used by his instructors. Missing two weeks should never result in an 18 month delay. I suggest he starts by a) speaking to his divisional officer and b) also speaking to the bish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine that there is a distinct lack of imagination being used by his instructors. Missing two weeks should never result in an 18 month delay. I suggest he starts by a) speaking to his divisional officer and b) also speaking to the bish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a case here for "Bashing the Bish"

Wow thank you all so much for replying. He has been told there is a big intake so that's why it would take so long. Tbh I don't think he has a choice as it would be stupid to delay training for so long when he could b almost finished by then. I guess for us civvys it's just hard to take. He has accepted it. At least he will get a little time to meet his son so should be thankful for that. They are a young couple but I'm sure they will adjust to the life. Thanks again guys x