Patella Femoral Syndrome

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nutters, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Hope all are well, on this "lovely" bank holiday??!!

Just a quick one, i have a slight form of Patella Femoral Syndrome, this is basically an ache in the knee and arond the kneecap muscles. I can still do alot of PT, and it doesnt hinder me from doing any phys or anything, it just aches when sitting down.

Does anybody know if this would be a bar from entry, i have had my medical, but what about the raleigh medical?

Thanks
    :D

2. I am no qualified doctor, but i thought it would have been a bar to entry as it will be causing you disconfort, but as you have said you have had your firdt medical you should be fine, they would have turned you down there if it was a bar to entry,

however, there are plenty of people on here that will help you with your questions

Hope this Helps

3. As has been said to me enough times, shut the fcuk up then. :)

4. i thought you fcuked off? please do

5. AngryDoc will, no doubt, be along to give you his qualified and up-to-date opinion, but for now my SBA's thoughts are:

1) Knee conditions in fit young men are are an absolute bugger to deal with, especially in the RN. Why? Because service at sea involves lots of climbing up and down ladders, which places stress on the knee joint at just the wrong angle.

2) Avoid any more damage to the knee by never (ever, ever) playing football, or any other sport which involves twisting the knee under stress.

3) Keep the quadriceps (thigh) muscles strong by straight leg exercises; your friendly local Physio/PTI will be able to advise.

3) Forget the usual crap posted by the Neanderthals who lurk around on this website.

Best of luck and take care with your health.

6. PM'd

7. awww.. am hurt, fck off ure pathetic

8. thank you ward master! climbing ladders and such like doesnt even hurt, it is just when i do nothing it aches, if i can still do phys and all the required tests would i still be a problem? thanks

9. if you have passed your first medical then you should be fine mate

10. I don't think this is correct - there has been a previous poster on RR who was passed fit for entry and when examined at Raleigh during phase 1 training was discharged.

11. Nutters, my advice would be to man up and dont mention it during the raleigh medical if its not a major problem. Once you are through Raleigh, youll have good access to physios and PTIs who will be able to sort the problem out.
    It may just be a case of you not doing enough conditioning.

12. ahh i mayn be wrong, do you know how old this post is and where it is?

cheers

13. I think there are 2 or 3.

14. thanks for the advice guys

15. Lifted from FAQ's........

-
    Musculoskeletal disorders

Any abnormality that interferes with the ability to undertake military training.
    Spinal abnormalities. Certain spinal operations. Recurrent back pain or sciatica.
    Joint disease, pain or limitation of joint movement. Hypermobility (laxity)
    of the joints, Bone or joint operations within the last 12 months. Anterior
    cruciate ligament reconstruction (subject to single Service policy). Recurrent
    joint dislocations. Severe deformity following fractures. Loss of a limb. Foot
    abnormalities (e.g. club foot, hammer toe). Complete loss of either big toe.
    Complete loss of either thumb. Arthritis and similar conditions
    This COULD include your condition.

16. Is it a Pakistani disorder or can anyone catch it? 8O :D

17. As you have given the problem a medical name, you must have been diagnosed as having the syndrome, and if the RN has accepted you with that knowledge you are obviously regarded as a good risk so you should be OK. Keep your quadriceps muscles (thighs) strong (a friendly Physio or PTI will be able to help). Sea time will be the great challenge for your knee joints (as for many other things!) Good luck! AngryDoc should give you the up-to-date professional advice, my contribution is only the out of date opinion of an old Sickbayman!

18. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Is it not something you can catch on a night out in the four floors. :roll:

Its like a turkey shoot in here, but I'm just so excitied that the ole yins get to see there RN in action tonight. :wink:

Good luck nutters.

19. This is NOT a helpful comment. If a condition comes to light in your first few months of service which you didn't declare at the outset then you will be discharged and will not have the opportunity to appeal or re-apply at a later date. The physios, PTIs etc have enough work to do with people who injure themselves in service without helping people who have lied their way into the RN - not exactly honorable, is it? Incidentally, the problem often can't be "sorted out" - you end up being downgraded longterm and eventually booted.

Patellofemoral syndrome is a problem as it can flare up especially, as Wardmaster has stated, during rough times at sea. The knee joint is under a lot of strain when climbing ladders etc, moreso when the ship is giving it a bit of roll. From a point of view of looking after yourself, the last thing you want is for this to cause problems at sea with you ending up being medevac'd off the blunt end.

It seems unfair, but we are very cautious about knee problems. Knee pain is a very common symptom, and one of the most common referrals to the Naval Service Medical Board of Survey where people are often medically retired from the RN. If you have the condition before being at sea then your chances of having problems are much higher.

My advice is to be 100% honest about your symptoms and condition with the AFCO ME, but apply or you'll always be asking yourself "what if...".

Good luck,

AD

20. hi all,

update (if your even interested), i saw a physio friend, who said it was not patella femoral syndrome, it is patella tracking disorder, which will be treated by strengthing the quadriceps and buying correct running trainers!